Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2017, 03:04 PM   #76
soulpatch
Registered Member

it doesnt affect bacteria or such. The peroxide breaks down the algae only. Corals and such are good with it for the most part. Everything I have seen you have in our tank woudl be fine save for your CUC. Pick them off the rock before dipping.

The algae will regrow as long as your PO4 remains high but it allows you to stay on top of it and keep your tank sightly to look at.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 11:03 PM   #77
texdoc77
Registered Member

I may try that, I'd like to see how fast I can get it under control with husbandry first as that would be easiest and best long term. Also I don't mind a little algae in the tank. I'm not one of those super neat freaks, if the coral are happy and the algae is not overgrowing I can maintain it a little. That said if it does not come back into control soon a little H2O2 therapy may be just what the doctor ordered.

As to my todo list here are some updates:

I trimmed the chaeto!!

salinity is slowly inching up about 0.001 per day, will only take me a few days to get it perfect...

I did order a fiji yellow leather, IMO one of the best softies out there, still considering SPS, but want to get tank parameters back on par

I added a pink spotted goby today that I had been spying at petco for the last few weeks, along with a RBTA

Taking over the world will take a backseat to taking over my tank... for now

Also added Ca, Kh and Mg this evening, will test in the morning to see where my levels are. Right at the moment my kh is 7.8, shooting for 9, Ca is 350 shooting for 420 and mg is 1180, going for a 1300, probably less than 48 hours to get them to perfect, then I will determine how much they drop in a 24 hour period and dose accordingly...

Current Tank Info: Currently Rebuilding

Last edited by texdoc77; 02/27/2017 at 11:13 PM.
texdoc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 11:48 PM   #78
tmnigat
Registered Member

Looking good. I setup a SCA 150 PNP system back in November and am really happy with SCA so far.

tmnigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 08:35 AM   #79
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnigat View Post
Looking good. I setup a SCA 150 PNP system back in November and am really happy with SCA so far.
Thanks for the kind words. Do you have a build thread? There are a few of us that have the SCA 150's, myself, soulpatch, Acer, blink 2824 and I'm sure a few others I'm missing. We all have build threads chronicling the successes and failures of our journeys. Great places to get different ideas with the one constant being the tank size.

Unread 02/28/2017, 08:38 AM   #80
soulpatch
Registered Member

Dont read mine unless you want to blow out your budget...

Unread 02/28/2017, 08:53 AM   #81
texdoc77
Registered Member

^^lol this^^

Unread 02/28/2017, 08:59 AM   #82
texdoc77
Registered Member

Ok so tank parameters are somewhat coming into focus. Alk and Ca are almost there. I took a step back with Mg Yesterday and am still not over 1200. I had used an older bottle of Kent's Mg and thought I had a bump, but the Red Sea Mg test may be a little tricky to read and I cannot be sure. Regardless I will switch to the new BRS solution I made up with my Ca and KH to make sure the solution I am using is fresh.

RBTA placed in the tank yesterday along with pink spotted goby. Both doing well this morning, but we shall see. I did purchase a lineatus off of DD along with a yellow Fiji leather and I am expecting that along with my reef cleaners snail CUC this week. After that I will probably purchase some SPS and then be done for a bit (yeah right). After adding the goby and lineatus I still plan to add a tang or two, but will likely wait about a month to give my parameters time to get online and stabilize and also my bacteria time to catch up to the new bioload. Exciting to see my tank start to take shape. The wife loves it too!!

Unread 02/28/2017, 03:08 PM   #83
Blink2824
Registered Member

I saw that lineatus wrasse on DD. Gorgeous specimen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 03:13 PM   #84
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink2824 View Post
I saw that lineatus wrasse on DD. Gorgeous specimen!
There was one from last week that I was tempted by but found average if you could ever call a lineatus average. The one from yesterday I thought was above average and could not resist...

Unread 02/28/2017, 03:14 PM   #85
Blink2824
Registered Member

Dude... you have no idea how close I was to putting it in my cart! I'm glad you got it, awesome fish.

Unread 02/28/2017, 03:24 PM   #86
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Dude... you have no idea how close I was to putting it in my cart! I'm glad you got it, awesome fish.
Yes I was very excited to pull the trigger. Here is the pic from DD.

Unread 02/28/2017, 03:25 PM   #87
soulpatch
Registered Member

I would grab other wrasses if I didnt think my melenarus would F them up. (though technically the harlequin tusk is a wrasse I dont worry about it...)

Its a looker Tex. Good grab

Unread 02/28/2017, 10:25 PM   #88
texdoc77
Registered Member

Ok well the pink Goby I picked up yesterday passed this morning. No real idea what happened. But that is life. Does make me a little nervous as I am expecting my Lineatus tomorrow but thankfully LA has a 14 day guarantee which is why I will make those kinds of purchases with them.

So soul patch stoked my interest in using peroxide to rid some of my rocks (all of them) of GHA and turf algae. So I started on a little rock with some palythoa.

Here it is in the tank and you should be able to see how much algae is on it...

Here are two more pix of it soaking in the peroxide.

I did some research on how best to do this and I was surprised at how much liberty was taken with the concentrations and soaking times. I decided to mix two parts salt water with one part peroxide and soaked for 5 minutes with copious flushing with RO/DI. Then placed back in the tank. I will update pix over the next few days. A few pods and one small bristleworm did appear to be casualties.

Last edited by texdoc77; 02/28/2017 at 10:32 PM.
Unread 03/01/2017, 09:44 AM   #89
soulpatch
Registered Member

I do a 50/50 mix and soak for 5 minutues. Rinse in some saltwater (though you can dose peroxide to tank so it doesnt need more then a quick dip for a rinse) and back in the tank.

Unread 03/01/2017, 11:26 PM   #90
texdoc77
Registered Member

OK Little bit of news today. I was scheduled to receive my Lineatus today, however, there was some "weather" in Kentucky and this delayed my shipment. I did go to the UPS center where my package was being held and asked if I could pick it up this evening. They said no. I explained that I had live fish and coral. They said that the manager of petco did too and they did not have the manpower to unload the 53' truck and look for individual shipments. I did not like this answer but they did not allow me to personally unload the truck and look for my shipment, which I felt was a reasonable request. So, I will pick it up in the morning at 7am, come back to the house, float for 15 minutes and then hope for the best. Should anything happen to my Lineatus I have a nice credit with LA. I'm hoping nothing does happen.

A side note: Our house was infiltrated with large field mice even though we live in the city. My sticky traps and large mouse traps only caught one of the mice. We had an exterminator come out and over the last few days I have noticed a stronger and more repugnant odor coming from the kitchen. I suspected it was a mouse I had seen one evening that was not acting right. I pulled the pots and pans from the cabinets and drilled a hole, located the dead mouse and removed it all without throwing up. I celebrated with a little drink.

Here is day #1 of the peroxide dipped palythoa. I think it looks a little better, but am expecting significantly more improvement.

For my parameters I overshot the Mg and am sitting at 1520. That will come down with time. Otherwise my alk is 9.3, Ca is 475 and finally have my SG at 1.025. Depending on how my little palythoa does with the peroxide dip will determine if I dip all my rocks.

Also I have decided to begin caring for some SPS. I will get a frag and/or starter pack soon from ORA through LA. Any favorite SPS out there?

Last edited by texdoc77; 03/01/2017 at 11:38 PM.
Unread 03/02/2017, 08:31 AM   #91
soulpatch
Registered Member

The peroxide you used. Was it a brand new bottle? If not redip using a new bottle as peroxide loses potentancy quickly when exposed to air and moisture. I would also step up your dose to 50/50 and you should see immediate results.

Unread 03/02/2017, 10:00 AM   #92
Blink2824
Registered Member

I dipped a few frags with a 2/1 ratio of SW to peroxide and didn't see a whole lot in the way of results... I think I might try 1/1 ratio and see what happens. I can't stand the GHA I have right now and I have no patience for it to go away on its own. I really like the ORA Stellar Stylo, birds of paradise, and Joe the coral amongst some others. Happy Reefing!

Unread 03/02/2017, 10:06 AM   #93
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
The peroxide you used. Was it a brand new bottle? If not redip using a new bottle as peroxide loses potentancy quickly when exposed to air and moisture. I would also step up your dose to 50/50 and you should see immediate results.
Quote:
I dipped a few frags with a 2/1 ratio of SW to peroxide and didn't see a whole lot in the way of results... I think I might try 1/1 ratio and see what happens. I can't stand the GHA I have right now and I have no patience for it to go away on its own. I really like the ORA Stellar Stylo, birds of paradise, and Joe the coral amongst some others. Happy Reefing!
Thank you both! I will try a little more concentrated dose. The peroxide bottle was unopened, but not sure how "new" it was. Either way peroxide is super cheap and I can always pick up some more.

On another note I picked up the lineatus this morning and was happy to discover when I unpackaged him he was alive. However, once temp matched and placed in QT he swam around for a little while and then began to sit on his tail. He did not respond to any feeding. I am not optimistic with the longer transit time and his response when introduced to QT so I guess we'll see. He is really really nice looking and I will be very disappointed if he does not make it.

Unread 03/02/2017, 01:50 PM   #94
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quick update on the lineatus; He is swimming around like a champ and ate a little lunch. I am surprised and encouraged. He is a nice large specimen as well. Very pleased with him.

Unread 03/02/2017, 02:02 PM   #95
soulpatch
Registered Member

Running a dangerous game to not be QTing all your fish...

Unread 03/02/2017, 02:17 PM   #96
texdoc77
Registered Member

Yeah I put him in qt first and when he did so poorly I made a judgment call to get him in the display with a little better water quality. But you're right, maybe it wasn't the right call.

Unread 03/02/2017, 02:19 PM   #97
soulpatch
Registered Member

That is EXACTLY why we QT.... Honestly I would pull if I could to limit your exposure and QT properly

Unread 03/02/2017, 02:37 PM   #98
texdoc77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
That is EXACTLY why we QT.... Honestly I would pull if I could to limit your exposure and QT properly
And you are correct as per usual. However, I have two clowns and two blue chromis along with my midas blenny. All nice fish, but very replaceable. I was simply trying to give the lineatus its best chance and I judged risking my other fish as an acceptable risk. It's probably not the call everyone would make but just part of the way we all manage our tanks. You are right to champion QT for new fish and for any one else out there reading through this thread.

Unread 03/02/2017, 11:41 PM   #99
texdoc77
Registered Member

Lineatus still doing well this evening. Has been out and about but currently he found a nice place to lay down for the night, still hoping he did not receive too much organ damage from the long shipping. I also received my yellow fiji leather coral and it was in quite a bit worse shape. I dipped and placed in the tank. Not sure how it might fare, but I will get pix tomorrow. Also received and placed my snails from John over at ReefCleaners. They are um, snailing around at the moment, don't think I sustained too many losses.

As for the peroxide dipped palythoa here is the pic from yesterday and then the one from today. In fairness it does look better than yesterday moreso than the pictures here but judge for yourself

Last edited by texdoc77; 03/02/2017 at 11:46 PM.
Unread 03/03/2017, 01:55 PM   #100
Blink2824
Registered Member

Yeaaaa... QT is a tough one. No point in pulling it now unless you see signs. Honestly, if I were in your shoes I probably would have done the same thing. Save the lineatus at all costs, that thing is a beauty. And I am speaking from experience of not QT'ing and ended up with ich/velvet and went fallow for almost 90 days (in my previous 75 gallon). As mentioned, worst case you just catch the livestock and treat them all and pay the price of going through the hassle and possible losses. All this divers den talk, I couldn't help but pull the trigger last night on a few things. Like Mr. Patch I needed to beef up my clean up crew and I also decided to grab a Red Sailfin Algae Blenny to replace my lawnmower that disappeared quite some time ago. Then I was like... ehh what the heck and I also grabbed the ORA Stellar Stylo. Hopefully the new Algae Blenny will get along with my Midas like the old one did and will also help me with my GHA remaining in the display.