Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2017, 04:44 PM   #26
ksicard
Registered Member

For those of you that have a middle level skimmer the x-120 or the x-160 or which ever model. Have you noticed that the air silencer isn't very silent? I've for the x-160 and the hiss from the air silencer is pretty loud. The skimmer seems to be skimming well but the amount of noise is pretty annoying. I've tried adjusting the silencer and it doesn't change much unless I close it off completely which I'm pretty sure you cant do since the skimmer wont skim properly.

ksicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 05:38 PM   #27
robsk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksicard View Post
For those of you that have a middle level skimmer the x-120 or the x-160 or which ever model. Have you noticed that the air silencer isn't very silent? I've for the x-160 and the hiss from the air silencer is pretty loud. The skimmer seems to be skimming well but the amount of noise is pretty annoying. I've tried adjusting the silencer and it doesn't change much unless I close it off completely which I'm pretty sure you cant do since the skimmer wont skim properly.
My x-120 does have a little hiss, but I don't hear it with the cabinet door closed. I keep my air wide open too. Very pleased with the performance so far.
I wonder if a little cotton in the silencer would help you out. Or an extension of plastic tubing off the top to another location.

robsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 05:43 PM   #28
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
I touched on this earlier, I think both skimmer series use the same design air intake. Open the intake all the way, and put a 4" piece of airline tubing into the hole, leave it 1/2" off the bottom and then close the "door" just enough to hold it in place. Silence.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 06:05 PM   #29
ksicard
Registered Member

Thanks, I would not call it silent but it did help reduce a good bit of the noise.

I just tried using some RO tubing and it works even better then the airline tubing.

Last edited by ksicard; 01/20/2017 at 06:13 PM.
Unread 01/20/2017, 06:23 PM   #30
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks, I would not call it silent but it did help reduce a good bit of the noise.

I just tried using some RO tubing and it works even better then the airline tubing.
You could try a longer piece, mine is actually about 6" and curved like a durso, but if the RO tubing works that is great.

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:38 AM   #31
ksicard
Registered Member

Quick update on my x-160 skimmer. I'm pretty impressed with the performance of the skimmer. Now that I have gotten the air silencer to be much more quiet I definitely like this skimmer. I set it up Wednesday night and snapped a picture last night of the skim I've pulled since Wednesday night. I didn't vinegar bath the skimmer or anything, I just assembled it and plopped it into the sump. I have it set to a really dry skim and I'm pleased with the performance already. I'll update the thread in a month or so after the skimmer has had time to fully break in and i've gotten more use out of it to review it further.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eshopps initial break in skim.jpg (71.0 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg Eshopps air silencer mod.jpg (35.8 KB, 154 views)
Unread 01/21/2017, 04:18 PM   #32
BryanS4
Registered Member

Great to see the nice reviews. I have an x-120 arriving Tuesday for the kids tank.

BryanS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 09:00 PM   #33
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
I'm not convinced we need as much skimmer as some people think. If the manufacturers rated skimmers the way the hobby seems to, people would be buying more expensive skimmers, so there must be something to the way they rate them.
I agree. If they just wanted to sell more expensive skimmers, they would under rate them instead of over rating them.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2017, 06:47 AM   #34
forddna
Registered Member

Try an empty medicine bottle at the end of a small piece of airline. Poke a second hole with a short piece of airline sticking out (your new intake).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723640

Returning to the hobby after a 5+ year hiatus

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube - Build in Progress
forddna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 07:43 AM   #35
forddna
Registered Member

I'm about to set up a 93g tank. It will be heavily stocked after a year or so. I'm curious about the tank size ratings because I'm really in between the 120 and 160. I'm afraid the 160 will be too big in the beginning, but the 120 won't be big enough in a year. But that's going by the manufacturer ratings. Thoughts?

Unread 01/24/2017, 10:18 AM   #36
ksicard
Registered Member

How many fish would you have to be considered heavily stocked?

Unread 01/24/2017, 10:37 AM   #37
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddna View Post
Try an empty medicine bottle at the end of a small piece of airline. Poke a second hole with a short piece of airline sticking out (your new intake).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723640
It already has one from the factory.

Quote:
I'm about to set up a 93g tank. It will be heavily stocked after a year or so. I'm curious about the tank size ratings because I'm really in between the 120 and 160. I'm afraid the 160 will be too big in the beginning, but the 120 won't be big enough in a year. But that's going by the manufacturer ratings. Thoughts?
How big is the sump? If you have over 100g of total water I would go with the 160.

Unread 01/24/2017, 08:50 PM   #38
forddna
Registered Member

Total water volume of my sump is listed at 24.3g. I'd call it 20ish.

Unread 01/24/2017, 09:00 PM   #39
f3honda4me
Registered Member

Would love to find a PSK-75 in sump. Can't find online anywhere though?

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2017, 11:47 AM   #40
BryanS4
Registered Member

Let's see how this thing does.

Unread 01/25/2017, 11:53 AM   #41
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
So a 93 display is probably going to have 75 - 80 gallons of water, so likely 90 - 100 gallons for the whole system. You could go either way IMO, if you want to load it with fish and sometimes slack on water changes, go with the 160, otherwise I think the 120 is fine.

Unread 01/26/2017, 10:07 AM   #42
forddna
Registered Member

I like slacking...lol

Unread 01/26/2017, 10:19 AM   #43
ksicard
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldn't count your sump in the equation for choosing skimmers based of tank ratings. I may have mis read your post but are you saying 20ish fish or 20ish gallons? If you plan to stock 20ish fish then go with the 160. It may be a little before it skims consistently but once you get a medium bioload I bet it will be the perfect skimmer. It's only 1 inch large in diameter in terms of the neck then the 120 so I don't think you'll have issues.

Unread 01/26/2017, 11:09 AM   #44
forddna
Registered Member

20ish gallons of actual water in it. I use a lot of rockwork in my display and will have a 2-3" sandbed, so I kinda figure the water displaced by the rock and sand cancels out the sump.

But it will be medium stocked in short order, and I tend to overfeed. It'll be mostly LPS and Zoas with a few easier SPS.

Unread 01/26/2017, 07:52 PM   #45
BryanS4
Registered Member

Less than 24 hours, straight from box to sump. Liking what I'm seeing so far.

Unread 01/27/2017, 08:14 AM   #46
robsk
Registered Member

Yep, same experience for me BryanS4. Foam in a few hours. Nasty cup in 48 hours. Its going to be hard to beat the axium series for the price. A sicce pump on a 5 inch wine body at around $200. I think Eshopps has a real winner here.

robsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 11:46 PM   #47
Potatohead
Registered Member

Is anyone having trouble with the pump restarting air suction after power down? My old one (same pump) did it from time to time but this one is doing it every time. It's pumping water but won't pull air until I blow in the tube. It's a minor thing but if I'm not around after a power outage restarts it's obviously not going to skim.

Edit - looks like it's a water depth issue. I have it in 8.75", if I plug it in and lift it a bit, it starts pulling air. I'll have to make a little stand for it.

Last edited by Potatohead; 01/28/2017 at 12:10 AM.
Unread 01/29/2017, 10:55 PM   #48
Potatohead
Registered Member

So unfortunately I have run into my first issue with this skimmer... It still works and all that but not overly happy about it. I have emailed Eshopps and I'll update when I hear back hopefully in the morning.

Unread 01/30/2017, 08:24 AM   #49
joecc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
So unfortunately I have run into my first issue with this skimmer... It still works and all that but not overly happy about it. I have emailed Eshopps and I'll update when I hear back hopefully in the morning.

Following. I'm debating buying the eshopps X160 vs Icecap K2 160 in a couple months

joecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2017, 09:23 PM   #50
ICE JUICE
Registered Member

I am looking into getting the x-350. Don't know why the x-220 and x350 or both $379 on ebay.

ICE JUICE is offline   Reply With Quote