Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/07/2017, 10:47 AM   #1
vncool
Registered Member

Alkalinity

I had switch over the AF reef salt for the month now. I did a 30% water change in the 1st week and 15% in 2nd, 3rd and 4th and my Alkalinity still showing at 9.0 . The reason that I switch the AF because the Alkalinity trace is around 7 to 8. My goal is to get Alkalinity down to 7 but seem impossible. Please help if there is another alternative for my to reduce my Alkalinity to 7.

Equipment
Innovative 40G with Maxspect gyer 130, innovative skimmer and reactor

Water parameters;
Po4 0.0
Nitrate 0
Cal 440
Alk 9.0
Mg 1310

Thanks in Advances

vncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 11:05 AM   #2
elviraveloz
Registered Member

Are you dosing alkalinity and calcium?

elviraveloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2017, 11:12 AM   #3
vncool
Registered Member

Alkalinity

Thanks for the question.

I am dosing red sea reef foundation A(calcium),B,(Alkalinity) and C(magnesium) but I had been stop dosing foundation B to try lower my Alkalinity to 7.

I had been thinking to switch to AF dosing as well but since I had so much supplement left, I would like to finish it.

Unread 01/07/2017, 05:51 PM   #4
elviraveloz
Registered Member

You should stop both,check every day for alkalinity consumption, once reach alkalinity goal start dosing accordingly. Calcium should be balance between 411-418 for alkalinity 7-8.

elviraveloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 03:08 AM   #5
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Do not dose KH.
In our salts we are keeping KH similar to Natural Sea Water.
We recommend to keep salinity from 6,5-8,00 dKH.

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 06:27 AM   #6
plyle02
Registered Member

First thing I would recommend is to re-calibrate refractometer, I have recently done both of mine, and my values and concentration were too higher than I thought. Just something to first consider.

Next, you will want to heat or cool, depending on your climate, the water mixed to 77 degrees F. This is also an important step.

After that, mix your salt to 34ppt, or1.0256, if you are mixing to specific gravity of 1.0264, that is a higher concentration at 35 ppt, and most of the salts are mixed to around 33ppt, which would be 1.0249 on specific gravity(batch slip inside bucket). So, if you mix higher than 33ppt, you would in fact see a higher concentration of alk, as well as ca, and mg. That said, I see no harm in running the reef at a lower specific gravity, specifically until you are able to see signs of absorption of minerals.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 01:31 PM   #7
vncool
Registered Member

thanks for all everyone help..
after 2 more try of 15% water change, I did manage to get the DHK around 7.5 to 8.

Question for phyle02..why is it so important mixing salt with exact temperature? I usually mixed my salt as I poured in the RO water into the bucket ant stir to dissolve.(Maybe this is why I can not get my DHK in check?)