Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/07/2017, 07:58 PM   #1
Tomafguy
Registered Member

ID cucumber

Hello all, just wondering what variety of cucumber i have. I've had this guy about a year and he is awesome, does a great job of eating/pooping out clean sand. was just sold as sea cucumber, so i'm not sure what variety he is. I tried searching online but the closest thing i found was a yellow sea cucumber, but they are filter feeders, this one is a gravel eater. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuc.jpg (62.5 KB, 38 views)
Tomafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2017, 09:52 PM   #2
Tomafguy
Registered Member

It's funny, after I posted this I noticed for the first time in the year that I've had it, it can climb straight up the glass! I've never seen it do this.

Unread 10/08/2017, 04:22 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

It is a yellow sea cucumber that is common in the Caribbean and the Florida Keys. It is not a filter feeder, it does eat sand (not sure if it can handle gravel!) and they are quite hearty. Mine survived 36 hours without power during and after hurricane Irma.

Unread 10/08/2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Tomafguy
Registered Member

When I say "gravel", I guess I meant sandbed lol, yeah he's a little sand pooping machine.