Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/07/2017, 12:33 PM   #5401
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
You're way over thinking this. You only set the salinity up correctly once, then mark the fill level of the tank and try to keep it there. The influence of evaporation at 1.009 is 3x lower than at full salinity.
I usually cover the tank and check maybe once a day (only measure a few times when setting the tank up). It's so much less trouble than TTM... One of the reasons why I prefer hyposalinity over TTM is that I'm lazy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
So would you monitor him in a QT - treat with Prazipro and if I notice ich, then begin hypo? Would you do a formalin or FW dip?

UncleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 12:40 PM   #5402
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Always do a Formalin bath before the fish goes into the QT.
If you had issues with flukes with the last one assume that this one has them as well. Capsalidae can look very similar to ich. I've also seen that they don't necessarily come off in a bath (FW or formalin). They just take shelter underneath the fish's scales, so a prolonged treatment is required to reach them there.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 12:47 PM   #5403
ThRoewer
Registered Member

BTW: for hyposalinity you have to calibrate the refractometer with RO or distilled water.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 03/07/2017, 12:57 PM   #5404
orly20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
It's more than likely one of the Maldives ones like everyone is getting from live aquaria. You definitely got a great deal. Since you already have it in qt I would go with a formalin bath, then hyposalinity and prazipro in the qt. Those spots may not be ich though. Tough to tell in the pic

Hi pfan151
I will research on how to properly perform a Formalin dio. As far as hypo, what's the purpose for it? Thx again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 01:18 PM   #5405
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
You're way over thinking this. You only set the salinity up correctly once, then mark the fill level of the tank and try to keep it there. The influence of evaporation at 1.009 is 3x lower than at full salinity.
I usually cover the tank and check maybe once a day (only measure a few times when setting the tank up). It's so much less trouble than TTM...
+ 1

Exactly!

And MUCH more effective for a myriad of reasons, including the new fish's health.

Last edited by Salty150; 03/07/2017 at 01:38 PM.
Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 01:21 PM   #5406
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly20 View Post
Hi pfan151
I will research on how to properly perform a Formalin dio. As far as hypo, what's the purpose for it? Thx again
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...postcount=5348

Unread 03/07/2017, 01:37 PM   #5407
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi pfan151

Hypo will kill the ich if that is what those spots are on the tail. Even if those spots aren't ich, Running it through hypo for a month will ensure that it is not carrying the parasite over to your display when the time comes.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2017, 02:25 PM   #5408
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Hypo will kill the ich if that is what those spots are on the tail. Even if those spots aren't ich, Running it through hypo for a month will ensure that it is not carrying the parasite over to your display when the time comes.
Hyposalinity also kills quite a few of the marine skin and gill flukes. So in combination with PraziPro it is highly unlikely that a fluke survives.
Hyposalinity generally also kills the ich cysts, something that not even copper can accomplish.

Unread 03/07/2017, 02:43 PM   #5409
Salty150
Registered Member

There are MANY reasons hyposalinity is the best idea for new fish - disease treatment is just one of them.

Unread 03/07/2017, 03:03 PM   #5410
orly20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
Thank you!

I went to all the three stores by my house and no one carries Fromalin, I will have to order some.

I don't know exactly where I read you should NOT use copper on Regal Angels.

Does this still stand true or if not what would be a better option Coppersafe or Cupramine? I assume a slow ramp up would be best?
Just making sure before I start doing anything

Thanks again everyone!

Unread 03/07/2017, 04:10 PM   #5411
orly20
Registered Member

Also why is it that other day not to prophylactically treat w Copper?

Unread 03/07/2017, 04:16 PM   #5412
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Also why is it that other day not to prophylactically treat w Copper?

Angels are sensitive to copper.

Scott Michael talks about this in his Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes book, and he prefers hyposalinity for treating Angels.

As does Steven Pro:

"Hyposalinity is a great method of curing infected fish of ich in a proper hospital tank. Of the treatment options discussed this far, in my opinion, it is by far the safest. While none of these options is appropriate for use in a display tank, and all have their drawbacks, weighing the pros and cons of each leads me to recommend hyposalinity above the others."

Last edited by Salty150; 03/07/2017 at 04:28 PM.
Unread 03/08/2017, 10:49 AM   #5413
UncleSalt
Registered Member

New guy has arrived - is alive but jury's still out on whether or not he'll survive. Salinity was much lower at 1.016, so I matched it and the temp, got him moved over. Gills are very red. He is exploring right now some more though, so we'll see how he fares.

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:53 AM   #5414
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Always do a Formalin bath before the fish goes into the QT.
If you had issues with flukes with the last one assume that this one has them as well. Capsalidae can look very similar to ich. I've also seen that they don't necessarily come off in a bath (FW or formalin). They just take shelter underneath the fish's scales, so a prolonged treatment is required to reach them there.

Do you agree with this...

"1ml per gallon for 45 mins. Make sure the water is well aerated."

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:54 AM   #5415
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSalt View Post
New guy has arrived - is alive but jury's still out on whether or not he'll survive. Salinity was much lower at 1.016, so I matched it and the temp, got him moved over. Gills are very red. He is exploring right now some more though, so we'll see how he fares.
Might make it. My order arrived too. All the cardinals seem ok but the radiant wrasse looks to be on its last breaths. Hoping it turns around

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:55 AM   #5416
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Might make it. My order arrived too. All the cardinals seem ok but the radiant wrasse looks to be on its last breaths. Hoping it turns around
best of luck to you! (and me as well!)

Unread 03/08/2017, 02:15 PM   #5417
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you agree with this...

"1ml per gallon for 45 mins. Make sure the water is well aerated."
Yes, that's the correct dose (1ml = 20 drops per gallon)

Unread 03/08/2017, 02:47 PM   #5418
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, that's the correct dose (1ml = 20 drops per gallon)
The formalin comes in tomorrow - would you start Prazi on him today, or let him relax - do formalin tomorrow, and then relax in clear water, and then go into Prazi doses after that?

Unread 03/08/2017, 10:57 PM   #5419
ThRoewer
Registered Member

The formalin bath needs to be followed by a tank transfer, that's why I usually do it before the fish goes into the QT

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:54 AM   #5420
UncleSalt
Registered Member

So my guy is still acting strange. He did eat a mysis this morning - which is an improvement. I think he's confused however. He swims on his side a lot. The tank is barebottom, and he keeps staring at his reflection, then when he sees the "other" fish swim away, he swims next to it. Swims across the tank, and then rights himself - hangs out normally, and then goes vertical looking at himself in the bottom and repeats.

Not sure if this is a sign of something that I should treat now - or if he's just trying to get acclimated to his surroundings still.

I held off on Prazipro (as of now) - the formalin comes in today so I figured tonight we'll do that fun part for him - and maybe start Prazi tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Unread 03/09/2017, 09:57 AM   #5421
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
So my guy is still acting strange. He did eat a mysis this morning - which is an improvement. I think he's confused however. He swims on his side a lot. The tank is barebottom, and he keeps staring at his reflection, then when he sees the "other" fish swim away, he swims next to it. Swims across the tank, and then rights himself - hangs out normally, and then goes vertical looking at himself in the bottom and repeats.

Not sure if this is a sign of something that I should treat now - or if he's just trying to get acclimated to his surroundings still.

I held off on Prazipro (as of now) - the formalin comes in today so I figured tonight we'll do that fun part for him - and maybe start Prazi tomorrow.

Thoughts?
Probably just from seeing his reflection. When you have him out for the formalin bath try taping some black paper to the bottom and 3 sides.

Unread 03/09/2017, 10:01 AM   #5422
UncleSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Probably just from seeing his reflection. When you have him out for the formalin bath try taping some black paper to the bottom and 3 sides.
I did lift it up and put a pink towel underneath it - but I could still see his reflection in the glass too. I'll try some black paper today.

Unread 03/09/2017, 01:35 PM   #5423
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Maybe add a handful of sand to the tank so that the fish can't see its reflection in the bottom.

Unread 03/09/2017, 02:33 PM   #5424
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
I did lift it up and put a pink towel underneath it - but I could still see his reflection in the glass too. I'll try some black paper today.
Like my message to you 5 days ago stated:

You also know that when you are QTing fish that all of the sides of the tank (except the front) should be blacked out, right?

And the article I linked you to stated:

You can help the fish feel secure in their environment in several ways. Paint the back, bottom and sides of the quarantine tank. Place the quarantine tank in a quiet location away from activity and noise. Keep the lighting dim over the aquarium and provide plenty of hiding places with PVC pipe of various sizes.

Last edited by Salty150; 03/09/2017 at 02:57 PM.
Unread 03/09/2017, 08:44 PM   #5425
UncleSalt
Registered Member

So he seems to be doing okay. Ate a few more shrimps but nothing over the top.

I have noticed him shaking his head so I started a round of prazipro. I did about 2ml for 5 gallons of water. Haven't seen much effect on him though. The formalin was SUPPOSED to be here today, but like everything lately, was delayed. Tomorrow when it comes, I'll give him a nice bath and back into the prazipro-water