Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2018, 09:47 AM   #1
NikonN8
Registered Member

Cheap lenses

What are the group thoughts on cheaper lenses, ala Rokinon etc? I hear good things about substantially lower defects and coma so it sounds like most of the savings come in from flimsier build quality and the lack of motors for AF. Specifically I'm looking for an ultra-wide for astrophotography but am curious about others' experiences and thoughts as well.

Unread 09/28/2018, 05:13 PM   #2
Misled
RC Mod

I only have a few inexpensive lenses, two Sigmas and a Tokina. One of the Sigmas used to be a fairly good carry lens before I got my 24 to 70 Nikon. It also had a macro switch. While it wasn't a "true" macro, it was an added feature. No motor, but about 40 bucks on ebay. The other Sigma was a 50mm mini wide and it is a true macro. I highly recommend it if you can find it. No motor either, but I found it on ebay for 30 bucks. It had a cracked apt lens, but who really cares about that. I still use it. The Tokina is a 11 to 16, and is not made for FX bodies, but I use it on my old D300. It's a beautiful lens and it's very sharp. Still use it too.

Having Pro bodies makes me not care about motors in the lenses. While the screw focus is a little slow, if all other aspects of the lens are good, I'll still use it.

I forgot, I also have a Sigma, (seeing a pattern here), 70 to 200. While it can't compete with my Nikon, it has the advantage of a shorter focusing distance. I use it, but not that much.

Unread 09/28/2018, 09:19 PM   #3
cody6766
Super Best Friends!

I have a Rokinon 16mm F 2.0 that I bought to shoot the Aurora while I lived in AK. It's an all manual lens and I got some great shots of the lights. I don't know how good it will be for stars, but it was solid for the aurora.

Current Tank Info: Cadlights 60G Arisan II mixed reef with 2x MP40s and 24" ATI
cody6766 is offline   Reply With Quote