Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2018, 07:28 PM   #1
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

SeaChem Fusion 1 and 2

So I am dosing with seachem fusion 1 and 2. According to the directions they should be dosed in equal amounts and you should be good. Well I am dosing 40 mL/day for the alkalinity and it it staying constant at 8.0 dKH. I had stopped dosing Ca to get it to 425. I started the doser at 10 mL /day and in two days it was at 445. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Anyone care to make a guess as to what is going on? I do not see any precipitation around the heaters or in the sump. I do a 2.5 gallon water change every other day mostly to replenish trace elements. Comes out to 20% a month. Nitrate 0.25, Phosphate 0.03, Ca 445 now and Alk 8.0.

Thanks

Joe

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Scubajoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 08:21 PM   #2
ramseynb
Registered Member

I know a lot of 2-parts say to dose in equal parts but using more of the alk part than the calc part is pretty common.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 08:27 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

Those number (425 and 445 ppm) are within the error range of our kits, so I wouldn't worry about the difference. There are a few processes that consume alkalinity but not calcium:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.htm

The consumption rate is 2.8 dKH per 20 ppm of calcium, though, so most often, the consumption is close to equal, but the test kits can't track the calcium shift very accurately. Water changes can make a big difference, too.

Unread 04/14/2018, 05:04 AM   #4
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

jonathan,
I am using the hanna checkers and adjustable pipettes. I can take 5 readings in a row and they will all be within 2 ppm accuracy. The trials of being an OCD chemist.

180 Gallon reef tank with coast to coast Herbie overflow. 60 Gallon sump with 9" filter sock. 36" lifereef skimmer, activated carbon filter. Emperor Aquatics 40W UV Sterilizer

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reed tank, coast to coast overflow, herbie overflow. Life reef sump and 36" life reef skimmer, GHL Doser 2, Neptune Apex reef controller, Auto topoff, Spectrapure RO system with a Tunze RO controller. activated carbon and no more GFO.
Unread 04/14/2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

Jonathan,
Also only changing out 2.5 gallons every two days so not sure if that will affect the reading that much in a 180 gallon.

Unread 04/14/2018, 10:58 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

That dose is very small for a 180 g system. I suspect that the calcium level is noise in the test kit, but it's hard to be sure. I'm surprised that the tank uses so little alkalinity. Is there much coralline?

Unread 04/15/2018, 05:24 AM   #7
Scubajoe1
Registered Member

There is a decent amount of coraline on the back wall...not so much new on the rocks unless it was already there. How much would you expect to use in a 180? I have a about 12 or so SPS one really big colony about the size of a football. A few LPS frags as well. Loooking to get more SPS now that I removed an anemonae that was burning coral near it. It took up 1/3 of the tank in the area it would sting coral. I see new growth on the SPS as well. I run my radions G4 at 50% max. Any other advice is welcome. Higher light power?

Thanks
Joe

Unread 04/15/2018, 01:28 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

My tanks consumed the equivalent of 140 ml per day, assuming 150g of actual water volume in your system. There's no right or wrong level, though. I wouldn't worry much. Maybe one of the processes in the article I mentioned is consuming a bit of alkalinity.

Tags
fusion 1, fusion 2, seachem