Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/29/2014, 10:33 AM   #26
MassiveDynamic
Registered Member

ill be honest, when i was like 17 and first got into the hobby i set up a 50 gallon with tap water. got a common octo and it lived perfectly fine for a year, then laid eggs and died. I didnt even know how to test water back then.. i just had the LFS test it for me. Irresponsible on my part (i realize as an adult), but they're more hardy then youd think i guess.

MassiveDynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2014, 01:27 PM   #27
zach jay
Registered Member

I've been using tap water for most of my tanks out of sheer laziness. I'm not sure about copper in NYC tap, but I've always had success with my corals and fish (just more algae then I care to admit haha). I've never read about tap water containing copper, just that copper is typically introduced to systems trying to relieve fish from ick.

zach jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2014, 06:46 AM   #28
Boom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveDynamic View Post
ill be honest, when i was like 17 and first got into the hobby i set up a 50 gallon with tap water. got a common octo and it lived perfectly fine for a year, then laid eggs and died. I didnt even know how to test water back then.. i just had the LFS test it for me. Irresponsible on my part (i realize as an adult), but they're more hardy then youd think i guess.
+1! although at 17 I was still doing fresh water tanks... the bimac my ex-bf had survive his supreme laziness to do water changes and a modified skimmer that never quite worked properly. Buyer beware... octopuses Eat A LOT. He ate live crabs and clams from the fish market, huge snails and crawdads I collected from the Salt River, and the occasional feeder goldfish. I stopped feeding the fish tankmates altogether because they ate octopus scraps and ate his nutrient-rich droppings with relish.
I do admit, maybe part of our success was that we always mixed our salt water and topped off with ro/di.

Unread 08/01/2014, 11:47 PM   #29
sirrealism
Registered Member

I have kept Octo for many years and when I read this I just shack my head. This LFS "one of the best in NY" sets up a tank for an octo with untreated tap water and says it will be fine and does not tell you that you need a skimmer for keeping an octo. This is crazy. I am not saying that the octo will not survive but if survive is all you want then you have picked the wrong hobby. Sell everything and get a cat!. You say you have been researching since october and you will add A skimmer if you need it? I would guess you have done almost no research if you think you dont need a skimmer. Not because they make a mess"They do make a big mess" but for the FACT they will deplete the oxygen in the tank. Will they die from this Maybe, maybe not, Its one of the first thing you read about when you RESEARCH keeping an octo.
You might think I am just being mean to you but the way you have replied to others advice just gets under my skin.
Since this place in NY is so great and knows what they are doing then why are you here. You must be questioning what they did for you to be here asking questions.
Ok so my rant is over. If this was my tank I would empty it and make new water. The salt is cheap and you have an RODI system so no big deal. If it sets your cycle back a little so be it. I hope your concerned more about the health and well being of the octo your going to get and can wait just a little longer. If you are in a rush there are a couple products out there that are pretty good. I used one called turbo start because I had no choice and I will admit it worked very well. Next you need A skimmer. I dont care what who when. If you want your octo to be happy and healthy you need to a lot of oxygen saturation and with out a skimmer over time saturation will deplete.
Have you found a place that can get you a Bimac? I bet you end up having a hard time finding one. They tend to be seasonal Most likely you will end up with O,Briareus which is fine accept they get bigger and will use up the oxygen faster and your tank is really not big enough for one but i have seen them live in smaller. If you really want to know about Octos then join Tonmo and read then read some more. They are incredible creatures. I am on my 9th one and 5 species. and everyone is different

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed. 93g cube nem. 90g mixed. 40b softy
sirrealism is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/01/2014, 11:59 PM   #30
dante411x
Registered Member

Sorry bud, but I completely agree with sirrealism here. If this store is one of the best.. Just have them do everything. And when the bimac dies (hope not, but who knows), hope they replace him.
Honestly, I really want to know what the name of the store is. I've been to a bunch of stores in manhattan and they aren't the greatest. And there are only 3-4 good stores there anyhow.
There's nothing in the rules preventing you from telling us the name of the store.

dante411x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2014, 03:12 AM   #31
Boom
Registered Member

I agree with surrealism also that it's sheer folly to even start an octopus tank system without a skimmer that is rated for a larger tank to boot! A refugium with lots of macro and on a reverse light cycle might help with the nighttime co2/pH fluctuations and nutrients.. we kept our power heads, but had to put sponge guards on them to keep the octo from injuring herself.

Unread 08/02/2014, 06:09 AM   #32
criticalencore
Registered Member

I wouldn't trust my bimac around a power head even with a cover. He opens jars to get mysis out so I'm sure he would figure out how to get the cover off. You will define try need a skimmer... again, I would say your biggest issue will be keeping it well fed. Would cost me a fortune if it wasn't for living near the beach to catch live food for sure.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTgpYebgK1k[/YT]

Last edited by criticalencore; 08/02/2014 at 06:29 AM.
criticalencore is offline   Reply With Quote