Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2018, 10:09 AM   #1
meverha1
Registered Member

Rescuing an abandoned tank?

Quick backstory...

I started this hobby about two years ago with with a Biocube 29. I sunk a ton of money into it (LED retrofit, etc...) before realizing that I really wanted a bigger tank. I purchased a 110 gallon and once it was cycled I moved all of my livestock from the Biocube to the 110 gallon.

For the past year and a half it's sat dormant. No water changes, just top offs. I've had the lights out but the pumps have been circulating water.

Now I've decided I'd like a nice carpet anemone species tank and the Biocube would be perfect.

This morning I drained the tank (all of the water I could get out of it), cleaned it, washed the pumps and powerheads, and replaced the algae covered live rock with fresh dry rock.

Later today I'm going to clean and do a water change in the 110 gallon. My plan was to take the "old" water from the 110 and put about 5 gallons of it in the Biocube to jumpstart cycling. Does this sound reasonable? Any reason not to do that?

Anything else I may be forgetting? I figure I'll have to completely cycle the tank again, which isn't a problem but it's been awhile since I messed with a small tank.

Should I use chemipure/purigen in my media basket when cycling or should I wait until after?

How about adding chaeto during the cycle?

meverha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 10:19 AM   #2
BeachVacationer
Registered Member

Guess you can put the 110 gallon tank water in it but that won't jump start it that much. I would move some live rock from the 110 if you can to jump start the cycle. Don't think you need any chemicals nor chaeto ATM.

BeachVacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 11:14 AM   #3
meverha1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachVacationer View Post
Guess you can put the 110 gallon tank water in it but that won't jump start it that much. I would move some live rock from the 110 if you can to jump start the cycle. Don't think you need any chemicals nor chaeto ATM.
I didn't even think of the live rock. I've got some small pieces in my sump that I can use.

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:22 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

There is basically no point in using old tank water...Very little bacteria is free floating in the water...

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:30 AM   #5
meverha1
Registered Member

Good to know.

How much live rock from my existing tank would seed a small tank like the biocube? One chunk? I don't have a ton to spare

Unread 08/19/2018, 11:47 AM   #6
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meverha1 View Post
...Now I've decided I'd like a nice carpet anemone species tank and the Biocube would be perfect...
Just FYI... A 29 biocube is a VERY small tank for a carpet (unless you are planning maxi mini's) ANY carpet will get very large and will outgrow that tank in short order. They are also very sensitive to ANY changes and will be difficult in a tank that size. Any small parameter change, like evap and top off, can lead to failure.

If you decide to go ahead with this, plan VERY carefully and get the equipment you will need to keep this tank perfectly stable.

As for the other questions, you can use chemipure/purigen anytime, that is up to you. I placed chaeto in my sump after I began to see Nitrates appear. When you add it a matter of choice, I don't think there would be a problem adding it right off the bat.

I would also use as much live rock from the DT as you can spare. You can always replace the rock you remove with dry rock, or a few pieces of live rock from the LFS, and not see any problems with a cycle. Same goes for taking some sand from the DT (another good way to help jump start a cycle). Just don't disturb too much of the sand bed in the DT.