Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2018, 05:18 AM   #26
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
Sick set up, nice and clean.

Looking fwd to seeing your tank full of sps again!
thanks so do i! its been a long wait, but now to let the tank do its thing and wait patiently.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2019, 08:02 AM   #27
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

so i decided to take the protein skimmer out. all my sps faded in color and i feel as though to many nutrients were being taken out. they are growing, but the color loss is not normal for me. i've ran this exact same set up in the past without a skimmer and everything colored up flawlessly. so thinking the added skimmer is the issue going to remove for a few weeks to see if that was the issue.

Unread 01/31/2019, 08:34 AM   #28
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

So 2 frags i have photos of are a red planet and a no name that is pretty nice. I also changed the dosing containers to voss water bottles and colored the tops red and put the redsea labels on them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (46.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpgh.jpg (47.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (51.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (65.2 KB, 69 views)
Unread 01/31/2019, 12:26 PM   #29
murphreef
Registered Member

Looks good... I would say running a nice big skimmer like that 24 hours a day on your small tank will definitely make it too clean.

Especially on a new tank with no sand and barely any fish load. Either only run it a few hours a day once you get more fish and tank has more nutrients or like you are doing leave it off for now.

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 01:47 PM   #30
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphreef View Post
Looks good... I would say running a nice big skimmer like that 24 hours a day on your small tank will definitely make it too clean.

Especially on a new tank with no sand and barely any fish load. Either only run it a few hours a day once you get more fish and tank has more nutrients or like you are doing leave it off for now.
yeah i only have experience running skimmers on larger set ups. never with a nano. my last nano my sps colored very well and i didn't have a skimmer. So with the colors fading i figured if i end up not running the skimmer 100% of the time i might aswell sell it and keep to dosing and small wc's like my older set up.

Unread 02/22/2019, 03:28 PM   #31
Naekuh
Registered Member

OMG your organization skills is epic.

It really looks like your looking at art, in how you placed everything, and not just threw stuff together and dropped them in your sump.

Naekuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2019, 08:51 AM   #32
Jadams
Registered Member

Random question: How'd you mount your ADJPowerStrip to the bottom of the shelf like that?

Whole setup looks super clean. Great job!

Unread 02/27/2019, 03:25 PM   #33
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
OMG your organization skills is epic.

It really looks like your looking at art, in how you placed everything, and not just threw stuff together and dropped them in your sump.
thanks, yeah this is my 8th aquarium. so after so many i start planning the looks out lol.

Unread 02/27/2019, 03:25 PM   #34
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadams View Post
Random question: How'd you mount your ADJPowerStrip to the bottom of the shelf like that?

Whole setup looks super clean. Great job!
i used 15# double sided tape on all the edges. it literally doesnt budge at all.

Unread 02/27/2019, 03:30 PM   #35
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

latest sump update! Removed the skimmer and sold it. no looking back now on that choice haha. Now instead of a protein skimmer section its going to be a frag section. I have a Prime HD that should be at my house tomorrow afternoon. Going raise my shelf by 1" and possibly create a custom mount to hold it 1/2" under the dj strip. I have a hydra 26HD with T5 in the display so the plan is to use the same spectrum in the sump. so once my frags encrust on my plugs its a easy transition to the display. they will just have more par/flow once they hit the display.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52871771_1422664201203307_7352472540276588544_o.jpg (70.4 KB, 29 views)
Unread 02/27/2019, 04:16 PM   #36
Jadams
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSpeed13 View Post
i used 15# double sided tape on all the edges. it literally doesnt budge at all.
Awesome... Thanks!

Unread 03/03/2019, 07:59 PM   #37
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

So I ordered a black AI Prime HD and they sent me a white one instead :P
upload

So next thing on the list was to figure out how to do this with the tank running. i didn't want to have to pull out my bubblers as those are for emergencies only. so i just put eggcrate over the frag section and the only running was my return, lights, and heater.
upload

When i went to lowes to pick up the screws and nuts i need to use for the back of the light i didn't purchase a bracket. Im a Aviation Mechanic so i figured i'll get creative when i get home. so sure enough i found a spare curtain hanger mount we arnt using and used that
upload
upload

My original labels said HYDRA and SKIMMER. so i changed them to HYDRA HD PRIME HD
upload

This is me just making sure everything is lining up just the way i wanted.
upload

Boom everything working again 100%!!!! I think the whole process took me 2 hours to make everything organized and do the installation from start to finish.
upload

So to help with PH swing, not that i really care about it, i figured ill run the Prime HD at the exact opposite schedule as my Hydra 26.
upload

Unread 03/21/2019, 10:43 PM   #38
Bary
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSpeed13 View Post
sorry been busy past couple of weeks. Decided to get rid of the control box and place everything in the stand. I have a total of 9 outlets, 8 of them are connected to the ADJ strip, the other will be my T5 lights connected to a Timer on the wall outlet. Since my last update i've gotten a Jebao DP-3 doser, American DJ power strip, Reef Octopus BH-50 Protein Skimmer, 100Watt Cobalt Neotherm heater. Everything is connected. Just trying to keep it organized and clean. Now it is officially ready for getting wet.
Dang!! Clean setup! You would blow up my house if you saw what it looked like under my tank.

Bary is offline   Reply With Quote