Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2018, 02:47 AM   #1
ramseynb
Registered Member

High calc and magnesium

Since I’ve started my new build, I’ve been getting calcium readings over 500 and magnesium around 1500. Alk is where I want it at about 7dKH. Is this a problem or should I just let it fall as I add SPS and coralline takes off more? Also, I’m using ESV salt which I had sitting for a couple of years. Could this be why calc and mag are so high? I don’t have any SPS yet, but my LPS don’t seem to mind it. My coralline doesn’t seem to be spreading as fast as it has in the past, but it is slowly spreading. Thanks in advance!

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 04:20 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Cal will fall over time much fast than Mag. Just let them come down naturally. Try agitating or stirring up the salt that's been sitting for a while. Also mix to correct salinity and test the newly mixed salt water to get baseline readings.

Unread 03/22/2018, 07:43 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

If all is well, I would just leave well enough alone. People do run Ca and Mg levels higher than natural seawater without problems.

I agree that you should test your makeup saltwater to see where it measures. There are lower Ca and Mg salts you could use, like IO, if your ESV is testing really high.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 02:39 PM   #4
ramseynb
Registered Member

Thanks folks. The strange thing is that I've used ESV in the past and it's never had that high of calcium and mag. Since it's sat for a couple years maybe the liquid parts became more concentrated? It still doesn't explain the high mag since it's in a crystal form. I guess I could just lower the addition of mag. Nothing in the tank has had any issue with it that I can tell. I just added some "easy" SPS today and they sent me two tiny free acro frags so I guess that'll be a good test. I was going to wait a while to add any acros which is why I bought a couple of cheap montis and a cheap birdnest but hey, free frags are free frags! :P

And yeah, I definitely need to test my NSW and maybe just get a new batch of ESV. Just thought I'd ask in case any ESV users had run into this or if anyone's had any issues with such high calcium and mag levels.

Unread 03/22/2018, 11:40 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I am not sure why the calcium level is so high, but I'd test some freshly-mixed salt. You can use two syringes for the calcium test to complete the titration if the color doesn't change with the first syringe. The same goes for magnesium. Just add the results.

Magnesium seems to be consumed at widely varying rates, but my tanks got all that they needed from water changes, so I'm not surprised that your tank shows a fairly common level.

Unread 03/23/2018, 02:46 AM   #6
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I am not sure why the calcium level is so high, but I'd test some freshly-mixed salt. You can use two syringes for the calcium test to complete the titration if the color doesn't change with the first syringe. The same goes for magnesium. Just add the results.

Magnesium seems to be consumed at widely varying rates, but my tanks got all that they needed from water changes, so I'm not surprised that your tank shows a fairly common level.

Yeah, it’s really bizarre. I’ve used ESV before and the levels weren’t near this high. I did have a fair amount of SPS though. I have some NSW made up. I’ll test it tomorrow and report back. If the NSW test high, it may just be that I let it set around for two years and I just need to buy a new batch.

Ten tickles!
Unread 03/24/2018, 03:59 AM   #7
Phixman
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much, they will fall with time, I would however check the levels of you water change water as Bertoni mentioned, I would also recommend to shake your salt bag around to make sure the salt mix is properly mixed.

Phixman is offline   Reply With Quote