Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 11:19 PM   #1
Antegon
Registered Member

Retro T5 + primes on 4’ ?

Could you run two AI primes and 4 4’ t5 bulbs on a 4’ tank and do well? I was 2nd handed a Prime HD and was wondering if it was worth looking into using it in the 75g set up. Still haven’t decided on the lighting. Feel good about some sort of t5/led hybrid. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 04:26 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Yes, that would give a good spectrum variety and the combo is becoming popular these days. The trick will be mounting. If you have a canopy that would help with the mounting options and hiding whatever clutter you create.

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:53 AM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

LED/T5 combo seems to be very popular these days. I have gone to this setup(ATI T5 setup with 2 reefbrite strips) as I like the shimmer LED's give off.

I Forget who makes the fixture, but they have one thats a bare fixture you can add your favorite LED to, with 2 outer bulbs being T5's.

Edit:
I had to look as it was bugging me what the company was. It was AquaticLife that just came out with them. In this 4' fixture you can add 3 AI primes and have 4 T5's.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-hy...atic-life.html

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:52 AM   #4
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Yes, that would give a good spectrum variety and the combo is becoming popular these days. The trick will be mounting. If you have a canopy that would help with the mounting options and hiding whatever clutter you create.

Yeah I’ve got a canopy. It only sits about 6 inches from the top of the tank, probably 8 over the water. Worried about jamming it all in there but I’ll make it work.

<
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
LED/T5 combo seems to be very popular these days. I have gone to this setup(ATI T5 setup with 2 reefbrite strips) as I like the shimmer LED's give off.

I Forget who makes the fixture, but they have one thats a bare fixture you can add your favorite LED to, with 2 outer bulbs being T5's.

Edit:
I had to look as it was bugging me what the company was. It was AquaticLife that just came out with them. In this 4' fixture you can add 3 AI primes and have 4 T5's.

Thanks, that’s a sweet fixture. I may diy something just like that with aluminium.

Do y’all think I could get away with only two primes and 4 T5s, or a Prime and a hydra, instead of three primes, on a 4’ (20ish deep) 75g?

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Antegon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post

Yeah I’ve got a canopy. It only sits about 6 inches from the top of the tank, probably 8 over the water. Worried about jamming it all in there but I’ll make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post

Edit:

Thanks, that’s a sweet fixture. I may diy something just like that with aluminium.

Do y’all think I could get away with only two primes and 4 T5s, or a Prime and a hydra, instead of three primes, on a 4’ (20ish deep) 75g?

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Antegon
Registered Member

I’ve also seen people say they’ve had real success with 2 cheaper LED Black boxes and 4 t5s. Two different timers, or dimmable mods to one/both m, to achieve some sun movement and spectral change over the day, in place of the higher end, controllable LEDs. I love the cost and DIY aspect here, but don’t want to not set up this reef for success. Thoughts?

Unread 03/14/2018, 12:12 PM   #7
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antegon View Post

Yeah, 4 bulbs by itself will do well enough on a 75 G mixed reef (6 bulbs are good for anything). Consider the AI's to be supplemental to the T-5 in this case.

You may want to cut a hole in the top of the canopy or get some exhaust fans in there to keep the LED's from overheating if they are going to be mounted enclosed.

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote