Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2018, 01:58 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Magnetic Frag Rocks for 1" walls

None of my frag rocks work on walls thicker than 1/2". Anyone know of any that will work on 1" thick walls?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:18 PM   #2
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I have some I made with mp40 magnets

If Ecotech would sell you some mp60 magnets you could probably make some cool ones that would work on 1"

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:27 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Just pick up a stronger neodymium magnet for the outside..

Unread 03/14/2018, 04:22 PM   #4
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
This seems like the best idea and just cover them in some way, if not already, for wear/tear and splash. Can generate the extra force from just the outside.

Finding ones that can go inside is the only tricky part IME, I have found some cool retailers for smaller ones encased in clear acrylic (I want to SEE if those things rust!) that I use for general purpose stuff, but not for 1".

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 09:52 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I already tried that. Not enough on the inside to grab onto and they just torque off the walls. Used N52 with 30 lbs. of pull .... I guess I'll try using the plastic coated ones on the inside to see if that does the trick.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 03/14/2018, 10:02 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I have some I made with mp40 magnets

If Ecotech would sell you some mp60 magnets you could probably make some cool ones that would work on 1"
Funny you should say that, was toying with trying to make one with the WAV magnet mount. It does work on 1" walls.

Unread 03/16/2018, 06:35 AM   #7
voksbug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
I already tried that. Not enough on the inside to grab onto and they just torque off the walls. Used N52 with 30 lbs. of pull .... I guess I'll try using the plastic coated ones on the inside to see if that does the trick.
That is a weak rating for what you want to do. You can find N52 or N42 magnets rated for much higher than that. I frequently use N42 magnets rated at 90lbs. You can usually find them for around $30 plus shipping.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

voksbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Mknuwet
Registered Member

Tunze magnets work. But are costly

Mknuwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:53 AM   #9
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by voksbug View Post
That is a weak rating for what you want to do.
Yes, clearly

I am gong to try a spare set of WAV magnets that I have sitting around. If that doesn't work I may abandon the effort.