Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers > Soft Coral Identification
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2014, 11:37 PM   #1
Mynx
Registered Member

Exclamation Need ID at the least.

I posted a HUGE post in the Soft Coral area to find help for this guy, but I need an ID as soon as possible since I'm not getting super loads of info.

If you wish to help please see my post here.

Without further ramble, please help me ID him, he was fragged before purchase. About 8inches in stalk when standing up properly (In this one pic he's chubby and bowl like for no apparent reason. Not a cup coral.) And near 8 inches in the head.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg softcoral1.jpg (50.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg softcoral2.jpg (60.5 KB, 7 views)
Mynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2014, 10:51 AM   #2
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Looks like it might be a really ticked off toadstool to me.

Also, whats with the bubbles in the back? I'm guessing you're using airstones? I would recommend against that, it'll cause a lot of salt creep which will just be a big mess and a headache. It's truly not necessary.

Toadstools can be ticked off for numerous reasons, and can take months even to come back to looking happy. If lighting changed, if you didn't drip acclimate to the new water parameters, if your tank parameters aren't consistent, if you have ammonia, nitrites, or high nitrates, if your lighting is too high, if your lighting is too low, if your flow is too low, if your flow is too high..... all of these things can make leathers look like crap.

You said on your forum you don't have test kits, but you should definitely have your LFS at least test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates once a week until you have your own and your tank parameters are stabilized. (they should do it for free) I would highly recommend keeping an eye on the leather, if you see flesh coming off of it I would rehome it because you should've waited to set the tank up.

Good luck, luckily leathers can adapt to a larger range of tank conditions in comparison to other corals, so you should be fine.

Last edited by joshky; 03/18/2014 at 10:58 AM.
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2014, 11:07 AM   #3
crissie
Registered Member

I would also say this is a toadstool.

Like Joshky said - there are lots of reasons it could have closed up on you. IME they do best low in the tank without being directly under lights and a medium flow, but it can take ages for them to be happy once they've gotten into a sulk.

Unread 03/18/2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Mynx
Registered Member

Thank you! And Im testing today all I can and its a low powered air curtain at the far back of the tank. I know it's not necessary. Again thank you. I was assuming he was for sheer size and general folds but wasnt 100% sure cause he had just finushed healing from a frag when I got him.

Mynx is offline   Reply With Quote