Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/30/2012, 09:51 AM   #2326
rick12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
While this is one of my favorite fish, on occasion, this fish may nip at SPS and some species of polyp corals in the reef aquarium. I would not trust it with meaty LPS corals for sure.
I will remove the acan frags. Do they just pick at coral or is it actually food for survival?

Unread 04/30/2012, 09:59 AM   #2327
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick12 View Post
I will remove the acan frags. Do they just pick at coral or is it actually food for survival?
Generally they are omnivores and their diet should include Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, Nutramar Ova, capelin fish roe (Reef Caviar) and other meaty foods. If you feed frequently, in small quantities, I think it is worth a try. They are a NICE fish

Unread 04/30/2012, 10:03 AM   #2328
rick12
Registered Member

Quote:
Generally they are omnivores and their diet should include Spirulina, marine algae, high-quality angelfish preparations, mysis or frozen shrimp, Nutramar Ova, capelin fish roe (Reef Caviar) and other meaty foods. If you feed frequently, in small quantities, I think it is worth a try. They are a NICE fish

Unread 05/01/2012, 09:26 AM   #2329
chucko
Registered Member

75g Mixed Reef

Cycling my 75g tank (and ~12g sump) - plan on being a mixed reef with soft corals possibly LPS. I doubt we will be adding SPS. Will probably be adding a Clean up crew first, then some sort of coral like a zoa or mushroom, then considering the following fish:

Dwarf Half Black Angel
Dwarf Bicolor Angel
Yellow or Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse
Couple of Clown Fish
Possibly a couple of Firefish as well

I know there is a chance the angel will nip at corals and I'm fine with that.

Unread 05/01/2012, 09:47 AM   #2330
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucko View Post
Cycling my 75g tank (and ~12g sump) - plan on being a mixed reef with soft corals possibly LPS. I doubt we will be adding SPS. Will probably be adding a Clean up crew first, then some sort of coral like a zoa or mushroom, then considering the following fish:

Dwarf Half Black Angel
Dwarf Bicolor Angel
Yellow or Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
Six Line Wrasse probably too aggressive for firefish or other wrasses
Couple of Clown Fish
Possibly a couple of Firefish as well for two, must be a male + female

I know there is a chance the angel will nip at corals and I'm fine with that.
angels and meaty LPS will be problematical

Unread 05/01/2012, 10:00 AM   #2331
chucko
Registered Member

Will probably pass on the firefish then. Devinitely like the six line much more. Fiance also like the flame hawkfish so that should probably be added to the list.

Any other small fish (no more than 6") that would go well with the above?

Unread 05/01/2012, 10:38 AM   #2332
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucko View Post
Will probably pass on the firefish then. Devinitely like the six line much more. Fiance also like the flame hawkfish so that should probably be added to the list.

Any other small fish (no more than 6") that would go well with the above?
Flame Hawkfish means no shrimp. I don't really make recommendations but would be happy to supply commentary on any candidates for addition.

Unread 05/01/2012, 11:19 AM   #2333
capps_caitlyn
Registered Member

I currently have an indigo dottyback and a pair of maroon clowns in a 40 gallon. Thinking about adding a small species of angel, flame or coral beauty. Also thinking about adding a goby, not sure what species yet (suggestions/favorites?). I would love to have an ORA mandarin but I know they are a hard to keep in small systems. Any suggestions on small fish that are active in the water column? Everyone I have now tends to stay hidden or low in the tank.

My tank has been set p for a year and a half and has steady water parameters and currently not very many corals.

Unread 05/01/2012, 12:48 PM   #2334
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capps_caitlyn View Post
I currently have an indigo dottyback and a pair of maroon clowns in a 40 gallon. Thinking about adding a small species of angel, flame or coral beauty. Also thinking about adding a goby, not sure what species yet (suggestions/favorites?). I would love to have an ORA mandarin but I know they are a hard to keep in small systems. Any suggestions on small fish that are active in the water column? Everyone I have now tends to stay hidden or low in the tank.

My tank has been set p for a year and a half and has steady water parameters and currently not very many corals.
With the fish you have now, adding additional fish is going to be very, very difficult. A sexually mature pair of maroon clowns will want to control about 50 gallons of tank space and the dottyback will not be kind to any water column fish. You might be able to get away with a shrimp goby pair because it inhabits a space not owned by either of the other two species.

Unread 05/01/2012, 07:19 PM   #2335
Ibuild2586
Registered Member

I just ordered my stuff for a 90g mixed reef tank. 30g sump w/ fuge, Bubble Mag NAC7 skimmer, mag drive 9.5, 2-Evo 1050, 2" sand, 80# live rock. I have seen some really great feedback on this post. So I thought I would give it a try. Plan on doing some zoos, paly's, ric's, move into some sps and if the tank allows it some lps.

Wishlist for fish:
2-O. Clownfish (possibly designer species)
1-Orchid Dottyback
1-Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
1-Diamond Watchman Golby
1-Lawnmower Blenny
1-Flame Angle
1-Kole Tang
1-Majestic Angle

Other Fish that I am considering as substitutes:
1-Lepoard Wrasse
1-Longnose Hawkfish
1-Royal Gamma

I know there are risks with any angle fish. Seems to be that there has been success with these two. I have also read in some posts that Majestics have thrived in a 90g. So that is why I am hopeful.

Also wondering if this bio load is going to be too much for a reef tank. I guess I would pull out the Blenny first from the list. Then I suppose the Dottyback.

Please be strait forward on your thoughts. You won't be able to see my tears

Unread 05/01/2012, 07:20 PM   #2336
bbuss_22
Registered Member

Smile New to saltwater, my tank is about to cycle.

Hello,
I have a 75g tank with a 25g berlin sump (I am waiting on a pump before i set it up). I have about 20lbs of liverock, 30/40lbs of live sand. What are the first things too put in the tank? thanks

Unread 05/01/2012, 08:22 PM   #2337
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuild2586 View Post
I just ordered my stuff for a 90g mixed reef tank. 30g sump w/ fuge, Bubble Mag NAC7 skimmer, mag drive 9.5, 2-Evo 1050, 2" sand, 80# live rock. I have seen some really great feedback on this post. So I thought I would give it a try. Plan on doing some zoos, paly's, ric's, move into some sps and if the tank allows it some lps.

Well, first of all, WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL! Glad you chose to join use here. Don't worry, I am always kind, but always very straight forward!

Wishlist for fish:
2-O. Clownfish (possibly designer species)
1-Orchid Dottyback can be aggressive
1-Yellow Pyramid Butterfly
1-Diamond Watchman Golby
1-Lawnmower Blenny
1-Flame Angle
1-Kole Tang
1-Majestic Angle In your sized tank, you really should not look at fish that can grow to a foot in length; also large angels will eat many of your intended corals

Other Fish that I am considering as substitutes:
1-Lepoard Wrasse not a good beginner fish and requires a very mature tank with peaceful inhabitants
1-Longnose Hawkfish will preclude shrimp but a fun fish
1-Royal Gamma nice coloration but may have a problem with your dottyback

I know there are risks with any angle fish. Seems to be that there has been success with these two. I have also read in some posts that Majestics have thrived in a 90g. So that is why I am hopeful.

Reading posts requires that you assess the skill and experience level of the poster. I would not recommend a large angel in a 90 gallon tank

Also wondering if this bio load is going to be too much for a reef tank. I guess I would pull out the Blenny first from the list. Then I suppose the Dottyback.

If you did all that you listed, it would be marginal from a bioload perspective with large fish using more bioload

Please be strait forward on your thoughts. You won't be able to see my tears

Unread 05/01/2012, 08:24 PM   #2338
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuss_22 View Post
Hello,
I have a 75g tank with a 25g berlin sump (I am waiting on a pump before i set it up). I have about 20lbs of liverock, 30/40lbs of live sand. What are the first things too put in the tank? thanks
This thread is about marine fish and I would be quite happy to provide commentary on a desired fish list. However questions other than about fish will get better responses as a separate post in New to the Hobby.

Unread 05/01/2012, 08:53 PM   #2339
Ibuild2586
Registered Member

Hate Bristleworms!

Thanks for the quick response. I had a FOWLR tank for 7 years and had a big problem with Bristleworms that drove me nuts. I chose the Orchid Dotty because it will eat them. I was worried about the semi-aggressive nature of it though. I have been looking forever for a pieceful fish that feasts on these pest but have not been able to find any. Can I get steered in the right direction?

Unread 05/01/2012, 11:13 PM   #2340
radksa
Registered Member

Steve,
Just wanted to run an updated fish wishlist past you. Since the tank (90 gal tank, 40 gal sump) is 2 weeks or so away from being ready ready, and since I have a few new interests fish-wise, I wanted to see if these would work together:

1. *Black ocellaris clownfish x 2
2. *Yellowheaded jawfish x 4
3. *Yellow clown goby x 3
4. *Green chomis x 3
5. *Lyretail anthias x 3 (1m+2f)
6. *Orchid dottyback x 1

It is a reef tank with 4-6 in aragonite sandbed. I have read that the jawfish do well in groups, and am very interested in featuring them in this tank. If 4 is too many, that's fine, just would like to do a small colony if possible. The anthias are a point of interest as well. I understand they can be aggressive, and usually need a larger tank with larger groups, but if they could work, I'd like to try. If there is a better suggestion for a species of anthias for a 90 reef community tank, then I may give them a look. As always, thank you for your help and suggestions,
Scott

Last edited by radksa; 05/01/2012 at 11:20 PM.
Unread 05/02/2012, 12:04 AM   #2341
eidels
Registered Member

I want to add an Achilles Tang to a 260 reef with Anthias and Wrasses. Any advice is appreciated

Unread 05/02/2012, 12:07 AM   #2342
eidels
Registered Member

Also a Mandarin but with insufficient maturity in the fuge and dt reef. what copepods would you recommend to seed the tank?

Unread 05/02/2012, 12:10 AM   #2343
eidels
Registered Member

Sorry last question I'm on the verge of going with Zeovit but not enthralled with incompatibility with refugium. would I still be able to have a healthy copepod population?

Unread 05/02/2012, 04:47 AM   #2344
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuild2586 View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I had a FOWLR tank for 7 years and had a big problem with Bristleworms that drove me nuts. I chose the Orchid Dotty because it will eat them. I was worried about the semi-aggressive nature of it though. I have been looking forever for a pieceful fish that feasts on these pest but have not been able to find any. Can I get steered in the right direction?
Well bristleworms are considered a desirable detrivore which clean up excess food, etc. I guess, it is your choice.

Unread 05/02/2012, 04:56 AM   #2345
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radksa View Post
Steve,
Just wanted to run an updated fish wishlist past you. Since the tank (90 gal tank, 40 gal sump) is 2 weeks or so away from being ready ready, and since I have a few new interests fish-wise, I wanted to see if these would work together:

1. *Black ocellaris clownfish x 2
2. *Yellowheaded jawfish x 4
3. *Yellow clown goby x 3
4. *Green chomis x 3 Will reduce their number to one over time and may conflict with anthias
5. *Lyretail anthias x 3 (1m+2f) Well, the generally recommended size for more than one anthias is 125 gallons and with semi-agressive ones such as lyretails, I would think that would be very prudent
6. *Orchid dottyback x 1 is somewhat aggressive but you do not have any fish that would be obvious candidates

It is a reef tank with 4-6 in aragonite sandbed. I have read that the jawfish do well in groups, and am very interested in featuring them in this tank. If 4 is too many, that's fine, just would like to do a small colony if possible.

I too like jawfish. "The Yellowhead Jawfish is moderately hardy. It tends to be shy and is best kept with other docile fish. It will not bother other tank inhabitants, but other burrowing fish may bully it. It needs to be kept on 5-7 inches of fine soft substrate such as sand of various particle sizes (not fine). Known for being a jumper when startled or frightened, the tank should have a tight-fitting lid. This fish will spend much of its time in its burrow and when it does venture out, if it is startled, it will bolt back into its burrow tail first with lightning speed. As long as the tank is large enough, several can be kept in the same tank. Multiple specimens provide very interesting behavior as they "dance" up and down in the burrow. Supply various size rocks among the soft substrate to help reinforce the burrows against them; rockpiles are ideal. "

The anthias are a point of interest as well. I understand they can be aggressive, and usually need a larger tank with larger groups, but if they could work, I'd like to try. If there is a better suggestion for a species of anthias for a 90 reef community tank, then I may give them a look. If you must have more than one, look at Carberryi or Resplendent.

As always, thank you for your help and suggestions,
Scott

Unread 05/02/2012, 04:57 AM   #2346
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidels View Post
I want to add an Achilles Tang to a 260 reef with Anthias and Wrasses. Any advice is appreciated
They like lots of flow. I would not mix with other tangs and would be sure to quarantine, ideally using tank transfer.

Unread 05/02/2012, 04:59 AM   #2347
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Also a Mandarin but with insufficient maturity in the fuge and dt reef. what copepods would you recommend to seed the tank?
My recommendation is simply to wait for the tank to mature as a mandarin will out eat almost any seeding effort. It will help to have "copepod piles" of live rock rubble

Unread 05/02/2012, 05:00 AM   #2348
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Sorry last question I'm on the verge of going with Zeovit but not enthralled with incompatibility with refugium. would I still be able to have a healthy copepod population?
Before offering advice, I like to have personal experience with the question and unfortunately I do not have experience with Zeovit. So sorry.

Unread 05/02/2012, 09:26 AM   #2349
capps_caitlyn
Registered Member

Quote:
With the fish you have now, adding additional fish is going to be very, very difficult. A sexually mature pair of maroon clowns will want to control about 50 gallons of tank space and the dottyback will not be kind to any water column fish. You might be able to get away with a shrimp goby pair because it inhabits a space not owned by either of the other two species.
How old are clowns when they are considered sexually mature? I have had them less than a year and they are both still fairly small. Also, they tend to stay in one cave and the space right in front of it and don't move around too much other than in their little bubble of space.

Unread 05/02/2012, 09:30 AM   #2350
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capps_caitlyn View Post
How old are clowns when they are considered sexually mature? I have had them less than a year and they are both still fairly small. Also, they tend to stay in one cave and the space right in front of it and don't move around too much other than in their little bubble of space.
It varies. Is there a size difference yet? Even if they are not yet, they will be soon and will attack anything within their perceived "territory".

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility