Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2020, 04:28 PM   #1
jshepherd
Premium Member

Lighting for 300DD. Thinking of going to LED/t5

I've just been running luman brite pendants with 3 x 250w radiums on magnetic ballasts.

The time has come to revisit my lighting options as I have just never had complete coverage being 36" wide. 72x36x27

I am also considering ditching my make shift canopy and just going with a hanging 3 x Aqautic Life 24" hybrid with kessil AP700's. The 300DD has 2 braces which give 3 openings to put lights so my thought was to use them front to back like this I-I-I

Heat and evaporation are main factors for wanting to go to a different light but I do also love the MH shimmer vs the t5's I had many years ago.

It is mind-boggling looking back into this and would appreciate any suggestions for this wide tank.

I am mostly FOWLR ( with a massive amount of mushrooms that I need to get back under control) I doubt I will ever get too much into high-end corals but if spending this much I would want that option open.

Thanks!

jshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Just visited a tank today with 700's although it was only 32 wide.
Plenty of light in the I-I-I configuration & not @ full power.
Plus it was an SPS tank.

Unread 02/16/2020, 07:22 PM   #3
jshepherd
Premium Member

I looked into the radion or just wait for the g5 but I still don't know how to get around light placement. Open to any other suggestions as the 700's may be outdated.

Unread 02/17/2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Radions seem to be the choice of many coral farms.
If you look @ them they are mounted high giving plenty of coverage.
One fellow I spoke with seems to think they are run @ lower intensity because of the way the lights focus but they also run longer to make up for it.
G 5 is on the market today.

Unread 02/17/2020, 07:37 PM   #5
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I wouldn’t set up a tank now without at least thinking about a higher end panel style led. For Radions in particular, I think the G5s should be a huge step forward. I have G2s and G3s and they work but, you have to give serious consideration to hot spots and trying to even out light levels. I might still do a t5/led hybrid though.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2020, 08:36 PM   #6
jshepherd
Premium Member

I ended up pre ordering the g5xr30 x3 then discussed with some others today and ordered the g5 xr15 blue. X 6 along with 3x 24” aquatic life t5 hybrid fixtures. Hope I made the right decision!

Unread 02/18/2020, 06:26 AM   #7
mattgumaer
Registered Member

I think you should able to do what ever you want with that setup, both in terms of growth and tweaking the look to your liking. When setting up, it would be super helpful to have a par meter. It will be very easy to over light the tank. Measure your current par and then look to start at the same, or even a somewhat lower level.

Matt

mattgumaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 09:34 AM   #8
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgumaer View Post
I think you should able to do what ever you want with that setup, both in terms of growth and tweaking the look to your liking. When setting up, it would be super helpful to have a par meter. It will be very easy to over light the tank. Measure your current par and then look to start at the same, or even a somewhat lower level.

Matt
thanks for the advice. I didn't think of doing it before I switched.

Unread 02/21/2020, 08:59 AM   #9
kruler
Registered Member

BRS has a video about height and spacing of the G5 that may be helpful. They measured PAR based on different placement of XR30 blues and concluded what ideal placement would be over a 24” wide tank.

kruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2020, 09:13 AM   #10
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruler View Post
BRS has a video about height and spacing of the G5 that may be helpful. They measured PAR based on different placement of XR30 blues and concluded what ideal placement would be over a 24” wide tank.
I decided to go to 6 xr 15s vs 3 xr30 and split them to a row towards front and a row in back to be able to cover 36” better.

I’ll be watching that video a few times after I get them. Thanks

Unread 02/21/2020, 01:36 PM   #11
JoeTSI
Registered Member

This wouldn't happen to be the INFAMOUS Shep would it?

I think it is wise to forego the AP700's as I have them over my 240 with supplemental T5's, but am definitely going the Radion G5's when released (more than likely 3 rather than the two AP700's I'm currently running) I get decent growth out of everything from SPS to softies but I don't get the great PAR at the bottom of the tank even at 90%. Just my 2¢ and had no idea you were into aquariums John.

Unread 02/21/2020, 01:54 PM   #12
alton
Registered Member

Your change is going to be hard since you have the best setup for the 300DD. I know that is what I had along with two 6' BML led strips. In the summer I would run the MH's only 3 hours a day and the BML led strips 8 to 10. Keeping my living area from heating up in the south texas summer. In the winter 8 hours of MH and no heaters.
A friend went to XR15 Pros versus the XR30's to get even lighting on his 5' x 30" x 27" tall tank. He installed six of them and it is a SPS tank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300 with mh on R.jpg (67.1 KB, 8 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2020, 03:12 PM   #13
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTSI View Post
This wouldn't happen to be the INFAMOUS Shep would it?

I think it is wise to forego the AP700's as I have them over my 240 with supplemental T5's, but am definitely going the Radion G5's when released (more than likely 3 rather than the two AP700's I'm currently running) I get decent growth out of everything from SPS to softies but I don't get the great PAR at the bottom of the tank even at 90%. Just my 2¢ and had no idea you were into aquariums John.
Busted ! Lol. Yes I’ve been into them since 08’. I initially wanted the ap700 due to the wider spread. Then a good friend told me to wait for the g5. I picked a hard to light tank but didn’t know better at the time.

Unread 02/21/2020, 03:20 PM   #14
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
Your change is going to be hard since you have the best setup for the 300DD. I know that is what I had along with two 6' BML led strips. In the summer I would run the MH's only 3 hours a day and the BML led strips 8 to 10. Keeping my living area from heating up in the south texas summer. In the winter 8 hours of MH and no heaters.
A friend went to XR15 Pros versus the XR30's to get even lighting on his 5' x 30" x 27" tall tank. He installed six of them and it is a SPS tank.
I know it’s maybe not going to be the look I want or I am used to but I have to try something. The evaporation alone is a killer. I have the perfect scenario for a high electric bill. I kill a dehumidifier about once a year as well. When they die I’ll come into the offer and have water dripping off the electrical panel. It is far too big of a tank for the office space I use but it’s hard to go back now lol.

If 6 g5 xr30 isn’t enough I can always run a 3rd row in the middle. I’ll also be keeping my mag ballasts and radiums in case I end up not liking led.

Unread 02/21/2020, 03:22 PM   #15
alton
Registered Member

I think you will be fine with 6 g5 xr30's

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2020, 03:26 PM   #16
jshepherd
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
I think you will be fine with 6 g5 xr30's
Oops. I meant 6 xr 15 for now. I’ll also have 12x24” t5.