Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/26/2018, 05:02 PM   #1
JaysLittleOcean
Registered Member

My Little Piece of the Ocean.

So my family has finally settled into our new home after a little over a year and it seems that the transitional period of my life has quieted down. So basically what that means it’s time for a new aquarium build. I have a few areas in my home that I could use as potential locations for the build. But I am having some difficulties coming to a decision. What does everyone suggest?

First area up is the Media Room. This is where the family spends most of the evenings during the weekend watching movies. This area where the bookshelf is located is where I was planning on placing and cube style aquarium. It can easily accommodate and aquarium 32 inches in width and 32 inches in depth. I could increase the depth of the aquarium if I wanted to pass the sofa, but my wife doesn’t think that would look esthetically pleasing. Although this area would limit the overall aquarium size, directly on the wall to the left is our first floor bathroom and a full walk in closed behind that which I could converted into a fish room.

The second area would be in the Family Room. This location can accommodate an aquarium size of 8 feet in width by 3 feet in depth by the wall right of the window. The opposite side is my office, so their would be no fish room and all of the equipment would need to be located underneath the aquarium. I would also need to reinforce the area underneath the aquarium from the lower level to support the overall weight.

JaysLittleOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2018, 04:59 AM   #2
cincyjim
Registered Member

Honestly I like quiet time with the tank. It's my Zen! My tank is in the basement and I love to watch and listen. It's just so relaxing. Just a thought.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 04:22 PM   #3
JaysLittleOcean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
Honestly I like quiet time with the tank. It's my Zen! My tank is in the basement and I love to watch and listen. It's just so relaxing. Just a thought.

I was thinking about the basement but my kids play down there all the time and the odds that they would hit the aquarium with a ball or a toy are high. Maybe after they grow up a bit downstairs could be an option. I’ll probably need an upgrade at that time anyway.

Unread 04/04/2018, 04:15 PM   #4
reefmutt
Registered Member

If you go with the 8x3, you may never need an upgrade!
8x3 is a major build however.. wouldn’t be a problem putting all equipment underneath with that footprint... but then, all the noise that goes with it is right there.. lots of pre build work and lots of build work on a system that large.
The media room build certainly gives you the ability to make it quiet which is probably a necessity in that location...And the opportunity for the basement expansion down the road.. which would not require structural work to your home.
I have preteen and teenage hockey/soccer/lacrosse/basketball etc playing girls and my tank is in the same playroom as all of their indoor play stuff. There has not been any mishaps.. although, even though they are active they are not boys, who by nature are more nutso during play than girls..
I have no idea of your experience level but maybe the smaller build would be a good stepping stone to bigger things when the kids are bigger..
Sure is nice to have fish room. Not only for you but for the wife, so that all the paraphanelia can be hidden.. I just realized I have no idea how to spell paraphanelia.. and neither does the autocorrect on my phone..
Anyways.. to minimize the overall scope of the project, I say media room..
But if scope and money don’t scare you, go for family room.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2018, 05:43 PM   #5
JaysLittleOcean
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
If you go with the 8x3, you may never need an upgrade!
8x3 is a major build however.. wouldn’t be a problem putting all equipment underneath with that footprint... but then, all the noise that goes with it is right there.. lots of pre build work and lots of build work on a system that large.
The media room build certainly gives you the ability to make it quiet which is probably a necessity in that location...And the opportunity for the basement expansion down the road.. which would not require structural work to your home.
I have preteen and teenage hockey/soccer/lacrosse/basketball etc playing girls and my tank is in the same playroom as all of their indoor play stuff. There has not been any mishaps.. although, even though they are active they are not boys, who by nature are more nutso during play than girls..
I have no idea of your experience level but maybe the smaller build would be a good stepping stone to bigger things when the kids are bigger..
Sure is nice to have fish room. Not only for you but for the wife, so that all the paraphanelia can be hidden.. I just realized I have no idea how to spell paraphanelia.. and neither does the autocorrect on my phone..
Anyways.. to minimize the overall scope of the project, I say media room..
But if scope and money don’t scare you, go for family room.

I am so torn... I want the family room because it’s obviously larger, but then I have 25 foot ceilings in that room and I can really picture how the aquarium would look jutting out the side of that space. Then I look at the smaller aquarium and think what a nice fish room I could have. I’m a Pisces and I am always torn on decisions. LOL

Unread 04/30/2018, 06:49 PM   #6
JaysLittleOcean
Registered Member

Hey everybody, so I've decided to go the route of placing the aquarium in the media room which would allow me to use the walk in closet adjacent to it as the fish room. So the idea is to have a 30 Inch Width x 30 Inch Height x 30 Inch cube Depth aquarium sitting in the Media Room with all the life support systems running inside the walk in close. I was thinking that since I am I not going super large that I can at least go up in the quality of the aquarium and the equipment that I am purchasing. So I reached out to My Reef Creations this afternoon to look at pricing and options on their Hybrid Aquariums. Has anyone seen one of these in person or know someone who has one up and running?