Unread 10/09/2009, 11:46 AM   #76
scrapz
Saturation+100

very clean setup

scrapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 12:03 PM   #77
dmorel
Can I borrow your towel

Now that is a good looking set up! I love it. Can't wait to see you start to stock it.

Current Tank Info: round and shallow japanese spot light absurdity
dmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 01:30 AM   #78
shandy_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
I like the cotton glove filter sock on the skimmer effluent!

Sweet build!
Hahah! Thanks! But thats just temporary! Will remove it when I get the additional pipe going down from the skimmer. Just put it there to reduce splashing!

shandy_say is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 01:31 AM   #79
shandy_say
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Can't wait to stock it up!

Unread 10/10/2009, 01:05 PM   #80
flying_dutchman
Moved On

What kind of powerhead do you plan on buying? I guess vortech or tunze?

flying_dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2009, 06:26 PM   #81
shandy_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
What kind of powerhead do you plan on buying? I guess vortech or tunze?
Most probably a vortech mp40w. However this will take time as I have to have it shipped from abroad cause there's no one selling that here.

Unread 10/12/2009, 07:02 PM   #82
shandy_say
Registered Member

Has anyone tried using phosban by tlf? Which one is better for an SPS tank? Rowaphos or Phosban? Rowaphos is much more expensive than Phosban but a friend of mine who imports Phosban asked me to try it out cause its better at absorbing silica according to him. Is this true?

Unread 10/13/2009, 09:55 AM   #83
91yota
Registered Member

nice setup... personally, i would recommend tunze over vortech due to my experiences with both...

must be nice to have a tank in your location... you could practically go out in your "back yard" and stock your tank

91yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2009, 06:11 PM   #84
shandy_say
Registered Member

Thanks! Really? Tunzes are better? How come?

Well corals here are cheap however there are very few stores that sell corals and great corals are pretty hard to come by. Getting from the wild is also difficult as many places where there are nice coral reefs are sanctuaries and are protected by the Government. Getting caught in these areas is punishable by law. This is mainly because many areas have already been destroyed due to dynamite fishing and cyanide fishing before which was pretty much rampant then.

Unread 10/14/2009, 10:18 AM   #85
91yota
Registered Member

basically, on the vortechs... i never could keep mine running properly and went through several wet-side assemblies within a year due to various issues that all caused excessive rattles, vibrations, etc... everything from magnets (the original style and epoxy coated gen2 style), ceramic bushings, wet-side frames, driveshaft issues, you name it... i always heard the pump running, at it's worst i even heard it over the TV which is in the same room... the only way it was tolerable for me was when the pump was set to run at a set speed, constantly which defeated the whole purpose of having the WWD in the first place... if i wanted a set speed pump, there are many cheaper options that run quieter than that vortech ever did... i also never liked not being able to aim the vortech... after my last replacement parts came in, i sold it and got a tunze and never looked back...

the tunze has been 100% trouble free and dead silent in the 9-10 months ive been using it with very minimal maintenance (regular vinegar soaks only) and was even a used pump when i got it... it's got a larger footprint in the tank and the tunze controller doesnt have all the fancy wave programs like the vortech's WWD but it works, it's quiet, and i can aim it wherever i want to

91yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2009, 03:31 PM   #86
mixer911
Registered Member.

+1 on the Tunzes! Used both and over all experience with my tunzes has been a whole lot better than with my vortech's. Vortech's are a nice concept, but there are still some R&D issues to be worked out with them. I had issues with the motor side on mine. it was 2.5 yrs old and I had to pretty much buy a new motor for it. That's a lot of money for a pump to have to re-buy.

Rimless Aquarium Club

Current Tank Info: 103 Gallon Starphire Reef Savvy Cube / 250w Galaxy Dimmable - Radium - Lumenbright Mini / 2 x 24" VHO / 2 x 24" T5 / 3x Power Brite Act LEDs /2 x Tunze 6025 / Vortech MP40ES / Neptune APEX Lite / CS200 Cone with Octo BB 2000
mixer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2009, 07:14 PM   #87
shandy_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91yota View Post
basically, on the vortechs... i never could keep mine running properly and went through several wet-side assemblies within a year due to various issues that all caused excessive rattles, vibrations, etc... everything from magnets (the original style and epoxy coated gen2 style), ceramic bushings, wet-side frames, driveshaft issues, you name it... i always heard the pump running, at it's worst i even heard it over the TV which is in the same room... the only way it was tolerable for me was when the pump was set to run at a set speed, constantly which defeated the whole purpose of having the WWD in the first place... if i wanted a set speed pump, there are many cheaper options that run quieter than that vortech ever did... i also never liked not being able to aim the vortech... after my last replacement parts came in, i sold it and got a tunze and never looked back...

the tunze has been 100% trouble free and dead silent in the 9-10 months ive been using it with very minimal maintenance (regular vinegar soaks only) and was even a used pump when i got it... it's got a larger footprint in the tank and the tunze controller doesnt have all the fancy wave programs like the vortech's WWD but it works, it's quiet, and i can aim it wherever i want to
I see. Ive reading up and researching on the comments of people in RC as well as in other forums and both sides have points. Its just so confusing which one to go with. Ive also read that many people complain about the noise the vortechs produce but at the same time some say they have never experienced this noise. I really don't know anymore. The reason why im planning on using a vortech is that it takes up less space in the tank as well as the fact that there are no available tunze's here running on 220V @ 60hz. Ive checked with ecotech regarding this issue and they said that the vortechs can run both at 50hz and 60hz which makes it workable here.

There are only 2 local reefers here I know of who use vortechs and both of them say that it is such a great product and just 1 of it can provide enough flow for my whole tank. Is this true?

Unread 10/14/2009, 07:16 PM   #88
shandy_say
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixer911 View Post
+1 on the Tunzes! Used both and over all experience with my tunzes has been a whole lot better than with my vortech's. Vortech's are a nice concept, but there are still some R&D issues to be worked out with them. I had issues with the motor side on mine. it was 2.5 yrs old and I had to pretty much buy a new motor for it. That's a lot of money for a pump to have to re-buy.
Even the gen2? I thought they already worked out the kinks from the 1st gen?

Unread 10/14/2009, 11:19 PM   #89
nivram
Registered Member

Nice tank. I have a vortech and love it. However I did have some initial issues with it making noises. I sent it in and it was repaired. About a month later it started separating. I noticed it had quite a bit of algae build up on it and completely cleaned it. After this, all has been well for well over 6 months. It might make a little noise as it ramps up in RPMs. It is a quiet pump, but not completely silent.

I have never used a Tunze and can't comment on them. My best advice would be to try and see the vortech in person if you know someone that is running them. I was running a single MP40 in my 65. But have since added another powerhead until I can afford another MP40. I'd personally get 2 MP40s and dial them back if needed.

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2009, 11:57 PM   #90
shandy_say
Registered Member

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately only 2 people have vortechs here and ive never seen it in action. Its not actually being sold here so very very few people use that here. Im just amazed by the fact that such a small pump that takes up very little space inside the tank can be so powerful.

Are you using gen2?

Unread 10/15/2009, 07:53 AM   #91
scaryperson27
Moved On

If you want reliability, get a Tunze.

If you want a cool gadget, get am Ecotech Vortech mo40.

Mine has had a lot of problems and has cost me a lot of money after I have posted it primarily.

I have an extra Tunze now laying around just in case the Ecotech breaks. That's how much confidence I have in their reliability. Again reliability over a cool concept. Which do you want?

scaryperson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2009, 07:21 PM   #92
shandy_say
Registered Member

thanks scaryperson27. I put up a poll at the equipments section to find out the experiences of people with both. Thanks again for answering my questions.

Unread 10/15/2009, 08:46 PM   #93
nivram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy_say View Post
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately only 2 people have vortechs here and ive never seen it in action. Its not actually being sold here so very very few people use that here. Im just amazed by the fact that such a small pump that takes up very little space inside the tank can be so powerful.

Are you using gen2?
Yes and to Ecotech defense my pump was purchased used on ebay. Another benefit to me is the battery backup. Some will say you can just use a ups with any other pump. But the vortech will drop down to 50% to extend run time. I think its a great pump and their service is outstanding. Tunze make great stuff. But you can't beat the vortech for the amount of flow you get in such a small footprint imo.

Unread 10/15/2009, 09:05 PM   #94
shandy_say
Registered Member

@nivram - Thanks bro! Cool! I like the vortech cause of that small foot print plus the fact that it will reduce heat in my tank cause the motor in external.

Unread 10/15/2009, 11:10 PM   #95
nivram
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy_say View Post

Are you using gen2?
Yes and to Ecotech defense my pump was purchased used on ebay. Another benefit to me is the battery backup. Some will say you can just use a ups with any other pump. But the vortech will drop down to 50% to extend run time. I think its a great pump and their service is outstanding. Tunze make great stuff. But you can't beat the vortech for the amount of flow you get in such a small footprint imo.

Unread 11/01/2009, 03:07 AM   #96
shandy_say
Registered Member

November 1, 2009

Green hair algae growing already.

Unread 11/01/2009, 10:36 AM   #97
reefer31
Registered Member

In defense of ecotech, I have a gen 2 mp40w and I have never had any problems. I love it. The only sound I have ever heard is when the pump starts to go full blast. I also bought it from ebay, not sure if it was ever used but the box was opened. The amount of flow that comes from this pump is amazing. The undertow is crazy! I have it 4" from the surface of the tank and it pulls water from the bottom of the other side and across the sandbed of my 120. I used to only use the mp40w on my 120 but had to put in an mj mod pointing the other way to get a little bit more dynamic flow. I will certainly be buying another one in the future. I hope this helps!

also, I was also thinking about buying a tunze and I think they are excellent pumps but I like the look of my vortech alot better in my tank.

reefer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 12:14 PM   #98
flying_dutchman
Moved On

WOW the tank looks like an other planet

flying_dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2009, 07:55 PM   #99
shandy_say
Registered Member

@reefer31 - Thanks! Im planning to get one. I want to minimize any pump seen in the tank so it will look more natural. The mp40 has a small footprint which makes it an ideal pump for my tank. Plus the battery option would be great. But maybe a generator for the whole setup would be better. heheh!

@flying_dutchman - Thanks bro! Took the pics right after the rain. So the sky was kinda red. Looks like im on mars! heheh!

Unread 11/01/2009, 09:32 PM   #100
stevedola
Master of my domain

i think you may wanta vacuum that sandbed

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
stevedola is offline   Reply With Quote