Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2009, 03:44 PM   #1
lionbacker54
Registered Member

my experience with "the package"

since one of my favorite types of thread to read are those where folks post pics of their experience with "the package", i thought i would contribute my own experience. as a disclaimer, i am not a computer guy, and so cannot decrease the size of my pictures enough to where RC will let me post them. if anyone knows how to, feel free.

first off, let me say that the experience was fantastic, far better than i would i thought even after reading probably over 50 testimonials and threads. richard is just a great guy to deal with, very flexible, very professional, and very responsive.

i am building a 55g peacock mantis shrimp setup, one which will NOT house any fish. so the bioload is very low, and i wanted to keep open space as much as possible to let the new inhabitant swim and run around.

i therefore underordered, initially ordering a 20g package. then i ran into the thread showing how awesome richard's dry rock looked. as i was torn between the look of the dry rock, and wanting the fun of seeing all the cool hitchhikers on the live rock, i actually ordered both. i downsized the 20g package to a 10g package, and ordered one huge 20lb piece of really awesome looking dry rock. it is in the center.

photos are here:
http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq24/lionbacker54/

i will say that shipping was really easy, because richard really tried to find a way to make pickup easy. southwest called me as soon as it got in, and help me load it into the car. only cost $69. i got everything in one shot since i was ordering such a small package for such a large tank. keep in mind when you see the pictures that ALL the extra stuff you see were freebies given by richard. i did not think of it, but in hindsight i think all the extras really make the tank. maybe richard just thought that a 55g would look bare with only a 10g package.

experience: 10/10
value: 10/10
fun: 10/10
ease: 10/10 (cycled in 6 days)
would recommend to a friend: absolutely! hands down best experience with internet merchant.

lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 04:06 PM   #2
lionbacker54
Registered Member

http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/q...nbacker54/TBS/

a little more organized

Unread 07/23/2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Neat shots, thanks for sharing! Your picture #32 looks like a candelabra gorgonian. I have one too, it's one of my favorite critters.

Love to see the tank when you get your peacock!

Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2009, 08:12 PM   #4
noahm
Registered Member

Cool stuff. When you upload to photobucket, just pick 800x600 as the size. It is a nice viewable size for most forums.

This seemed to work just fine. Just scroll over the thumbnail and when you see the mini menu open up go down to the 4th option that say IMG code and highlight the code with a click. CTRL-C (copy) then CTRL-V into your post. Preview and ....

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2009, 06:39 PM   #5
liverock
RC Sponsor

Little guys

How are the critters doing?

Richard TBS

liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2009, 02:54 PM   #6
lionbacker54
Registered Member

everyone's doing great! one of the sea cucumbers did not make it, but other than that, everyone is thriving. the sponges on the live rock are especially doing well. at first, they just looked like purple or orange slimes, but then they started to grow bubbles, which have now blossomed into rows of little baskets. there are also lots of little nassarius snails crawling around, and i think i have a bonus mantis shrimp in on of my rocks. i hear him clicking away, and i think eats barnacles because i often see one or two little "fans" floating around in the tank. i also, sadly, found a small stone crab that had escaped from the tank and dehydrated. i know these are listed as "bad crabs", but i'm a crustacean nut, and love all these little armored dudes.

thanks again for the amazing rock and package richard. it was (and is) really a treat.