Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2018, 05:59 PM   #26
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviluvrr View Post
Can the Weather effects be used, on the Mitras, without the controller?
Yep. They sure can. All features of the Mitras are accessible through the GHL software without a controller. That said, I’d avoid the thunder storms unless you like to scare and stress your fish because having the lights flash on and off will do just that. They don’t like it one bit.

Rolling clouds would be cool if you have multiple fixtures though. I never bothered with weather effects on mine because I see them as a gimmick that has no real value in terms of benefits for a reef tank but I did play with both the thunder storm (which had my fish running for cover in the blink of an eye) and the rolling clouds which was neat for a few minutes.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 08:35 PM   #27
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Yep. They sure can. All features of the Mitras are accessible through the GHL software without a controller. That said, I’d avoid the thunder storms unless you like to scare and stress your fish because having the lights flash on and off will do just that. They don’t like it one bit.

Rolling clouds would be cool if you have multiple fixtures though. I never bothered with weather effects on mine because I see them as a gimmick that has no real value in terms of benefits for a reef tank but I did play with both the thunder storm (which had my fish running for cover in the blink of an eye) and the rolling clouds which was neat for a few minutes.
+1 but the lighting effect can scare a bunch of drunk unsuspecting friends.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:53 PM   #28
gcarroll
Registered Member

@slief does this new Mitras no longer need a PC for initial set up? If so that is a big step forward for us Mac users.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 04:50 PM   #29
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
@slief does this new Mitras no longer need a PC for initial set up? If so that is a big step forward for us Mac users.
Still need the PC for initial setup but that will be changing soon. They are working a full web based interface for the entire GHL line and I don’t think it’s far off. They’ve been working on it for some time now and it will make the entire line fully heterogeneous in terms of setup and control.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 02/09/2018, 05:04 PM   #30
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Still need the PC for initial setup but that will be changing soon. They are working a full web based interface for the entire GHL line and I don’t think it’s far off. They’ve been working on it for some time now and it will make the entire line fully heterogeneous in terms of setup and control.
Thank you, please let me know when this function is available.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 05:15 PM   #31
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Thank you, please let me know when this function is available.
Will do. I’m sure they will announce it as well.

Unread 02/12/2018, 01:09 PM   #32
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviluvrr View Post
Can the Weather effects be used, on the Mitras, without the controller?
I'd agree with Scott on this one. Having dove all over the world, and in plenty of thunderstorms and rolling clouds, I can say the change in conditions in our tank using these gimmicks is far more drastic and scary for the fish than thunderstorms in real life. For example, i'll start a dive in the bright tropical sun, while down there a thunderstorm will roll in. I can see the light dim a bit down at 40-60ft, but not drastically. The fish have no reaction, the clams don't close, the coral stays open and the fish don't react. Put those settings on your tank and everything reacts.

Corals and fish are very happy in their natural environment with the hot sun for weeks and weeks at a time.

As a side note: The temp of the water in Raja Ampat (Indonesia) is 86 degrees year round from the top of the reef down to 60-70ft.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote