Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2018, 10:01 PM   #1
quallabear
Registered Member

DOS physical setup ?

I would like to setup a DOS for an auto water change. My tank is on the first floor and my mixing station is in the basement about 35 feet away, will this work? The specs show lift and suction max is 24 foot.

quallabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quallabear View Post
I would like to setup a DOS for an auto water change. My tank is on the first floor and my mixing station is in the basement about 35 feet away, will this work? The specs show lift and suction max is 24 foot.
Your going to need to include more information here for an accurate response. Is that 35 vertical feet? I hope not but if so no. Head loss is calculated with a vertical measurement, horizontal measurement, dia of pipe, size of pump, and number and type of fittings. The most critical of these is the vertical measurement though so if your well under the 24' listed by the manufacturer you should be fine if you don't have anything crazy going on.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2018, 10:56 PM   #3
quallabear
Registered Member

The vertical distance is about 10 foot and the horizontal distance is about 25 foot. I can place the DOS anywhere along the way but would like to place it in the stand or by the mixing station if it will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quallabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2018, 05:59 PM   #4
Dsekula
Registered Member

In my personal opinion/experience you shouldn't have issues. If a DOS can pump 24 feet vertically 10 is less than half. The horizontal distance will give a small impact if any. Placement of the pump horizontal is also a very small factor. The best pumping would be with the pump vertically half way up the vertical distance or five feet from the ground floor but there are usually issues that make this unfeasible.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote