Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2018, 01:34 AM   #1
Reefheart
Registered Member

New gigantea tucked itself into rock structure

I have recently obtained an aquamarine/mint gigantea (approx 2 weeks). I tried to place it higher up on the rocks for optimum light and flow exposure.

But its been twice now that it has moved back to bottom of tank, tucked away into rock structures. As shown in pic, its partially exposed to light and low flow. I prefer not to disturb it further but not sure if its getting enough light and flow.

It seems to prioritise a secure/enclosed foothold over light/flow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5121.jpg (100.2 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Reefheart; 04/28/2018 at 04:25 AM.
Reefheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Bruce51
Registered Member

Just leave it alone, It will find a place it likes

Bruce51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2018, 06:53 PM   #3
Reefheart
Registered Member

My nem is still on the move at night. I think my rockscape is too open with not much crevices so it doesn't feel secure. I'm thinking to buy a bowl of some sort and try to put him in there. Or put in a couple of inches of sand and see if he will dig into it.

Which of these is the better option? Or continue to leave it alone?

Thanks!

Last edited by Reefheart; 04/30/2018 at 07:10 PM.
Unread 05/01/2018, 01:02 AM   #4
m0nkie
Registered Member

gig stay at top of the rock structure. very top. They do not go into the sand.

Haddoni carpet goes into sand.

my suggestion is let it be. If it's healthy, it will find it's spot. make sure your powerhead is covered with sponge for protection. If not, I'd consider lowering it or even turning it off if you have decent flow in tank

my gig up top and haddoni in sand

Unread 05/01/2018, 02:29 AM   #5
D-Nak
Registered Member

Are you sure it's a 100% gigantea? The only reason I ask is because I have one that always has shorter tentacles than the rest of my gigs. I think Minh has/had one too. There was a discussion that these might be hybrids.

Unread 05/01/2018, 07:25 AM   #6
Reefheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Are you sure it's a 100% gigantea? The only reason I ask is because I have one that always has shorter tentacles than the rest of my gigs. I think Minh has/had one too. There was a discussion that these might be hybrids.
The anemone itself is about 12in wide, most of its tentacles are approx half inch long. Are there really hybrids?? It would be interesting to see if it prefers sand as my current tank is barebottom at the moment.

Last edited by Reefheart; 05/01/2018 at 07:34 AM.
Unread 05/01/2018, 12:44 PM   #7
pfan151
Registered Member

I’d just leave it alone. It looks very healthy for a newly aquired one. I have had one stay low like that for a few months before it eventually moved higher up. Make sure your powerheads are very far away. They can move an incredible distance overnight until they find there spot. Mine once moved about 2 feet in 8 hrs.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 12:51 PM   #8
shred5
Registered Member

It looks healthy, I would leave it. By forcing it to the top you could bleach it. It may have been under lower light for a while and has adjusted to it. It will decide where it wants to be.

Unread 05/01/2018, 06:33 PM   #9
Reefheart
Registered Member

Thank you all. It is indeed healthy on arrival and still seems so these couple of weeks. Only the moving is a bit concerning, I haven't added any new livestock to the tank, only a few small fish and corals. I'm hoping its not looking for sand.