Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2012, 02:16 PM   #1351
banzai75x
Registered Member

I have a 6x54 ATI PM. Currently running:

4 Blue +
1 Coral +
1 Purple +

Went to the LFS and he recommended I change one of my B+ to a True Actinic to get the 420 wavelength.

Any ideas/thoughts on this?

Unread 04/20/2012, 04:33 PM   #1352
Potsy
Registered Member

Don't listen to that advice. Most around here run a combination of aquablue special or coral+, blue +, and purple +. Part of the ATI blue + spectral output produces the 420 wavelength.

Potsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 04:42 PM   #1353
bozler
Registered Member

Im sure this has been asked before...But anyways, does any T5 bulb have a color that matches the old school URI Actinic VHO? I want to switch my supplmental lighting to T5 and I am in love with the look of that bulb.

bozler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 05:07 PM   #1354
overflowin
Registered Member

first, let me apologize if i'm asking a question that's already been answered, but there is just entirely too much to this thread to scan through in the hopes of finding my answer...

I am finally setting up a tank after being out of the hobby for a couple years, and i'm debating T5ho vs MH. right now, i have a 4' current t5 fixture with 4 unknown bulbs in it, i was thinking about reverse engineering it and using its parts, along with an icecap 430, to make a 6 bulb retro.

my other option, is to burn my 2x 250w icecap electronic metal halide system with the 430 pushing 2 t5 lamps for supplement. i loved the look of my tank when i had the hamilton 14k mh lamps with 2 uri super actinic VHO burning over it. my tank project i am working on right now is a 5' 100g acrylic tank, 60l 20t 18d if i'm not mistaken. this will be primarily a zoanthid tank, but of course i don't want to limit myself to just zoos.

i'd like to know the pros and cons from all of your points of view to my options, or maybe more options. i am also a total noob to t5, it was a new technology when i tore down my last tank, and i never educated myself on lamp color combos, water column penetration and t5/MH equivalent wattages to light output.

thanks for any input...

The echo of a distant tide
Comes willowing across the sand

Current Tank Info: 220g
overflowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 05:28 PM   #1355
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai75x View Post

4 Blue +
1 Coral +
1 Purple +

Went to the LFS and he recommended I change one of my B+ to a True Actinic to get the 420 wavelength.

Blue Plus is a combination of Blue P L U S Actinic Phosphores. Ask the LFS guy what advantage there would be to using a true actinic lamp when the Blue Plus has the same range of output LOL!

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
The Grim Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 05:30 PM   #1356
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozler View Post
Im sure this has been asked before...But anyways, does any T5 bulb have a color that matches the old school URI Actinic VHO? I want to switch my supplmental lighting to T5 and I am in love with the look of that bulb.
No. ATI comes close. The T5 actinics give as much pop but because they have more visible light it doesn't appear as vivid.

Current Tank Info: 120 Starphire with Illudium Q-288 Photon Regurgitator DIY LED lighting
Unread 04/20/2012, 09:31 PM   #1357
Acey1011
Registered Member

I have a 60 cube 24x24x24 running a 4 lamp tek fixture. looking for a t5 combination to best suit my lps. Torches, blastos, acans, clam, etc. Thought about

Blue+
Purple +
Aquablue Special
Blue+

Acey1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 09:48 PM   #1358
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey1011 View Post
I have a 60 cube 24x24x24 running a 4 lamp tek fixture. looking for a t5 combination to best suit my lps. Torches, blastos, acans, clam, etc. Thought about

Blue+
Purple +
Aquablue Special
Blue+
4 more lamps if you want a clam....

I'd stay with what you have now for the PAR.

Unread 04/20/2012, 09:52 PM   #1359
Acey1011
Registered Member

So Blue+, Purple+, Aquablue Special, Blue+ will be good for all lps just wont work for clam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reefer View Post
4 more lamps if you want a clam....

I'd stay with what you have now for the PAR.

Acey1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 01:26 AM   #1360
The Grim Reefer
Ready for some NOBALL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey1011 View Post
So Blue+, Purple+, Aquablue Special, Blue+ will be good for all lps just wont work for clam?
Yep. $ lamps isn't a lot of light over a tank that size. I sure wouldn't try clams in it

Unread 04/21/2012, 06:42 AM   #1361
lilpatty19
Registered Member

Hi I have a 28 gallon bowfront tank with a 4 bulb 24 watt aquatic life fixture that I had on my freshwater tank and am now looking to change the bulbs so that I can keep some lps and SpS and possibly a clam. Which bulbs do you recommend and what brand?
Thanks!
Patty

lilpatty19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:00 AM   #1362
SDonkey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos90 View Post
i was running 4-blue plus,1purple plus, 1- coral plus in my 6bulb. it was just a touch to blue for my liking 25k ish. definately more blue then my 20k leds. i added new aquatic life 10k i had lying around in place of 1 of the blue+'s and i really like the like it.
I have been having this same issue with the Aquatic life 6 bulb. I had a UVL Super Actinic in the place of the purple plus and just switched back to the Purple Plus. I do like the dark blue but I am hoping for better growth now.
Zack

Last edited by SDonkey; 04/21/2012 at 08:05 AM.
SDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 10:13 AM   #1363
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpatty19 View Post
Hi I have a 28 gallon bowfront tank with a 4 bulb 24 watt aquatic life fixture that I had on my freshwater tank and am now looking to change the bulbs so that I can keep some lps and SpS and possibly a clam. Which bulbs do you recommend and what brand?
Thanks!
Patty
I would go with:

2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus
1 ATI Aqua Blue Special

this will allow you to keep most soft corals and LES corals. For the LPS you will have to keep them in the top 1/3 of the tank.

Now if you want to add Clams especialy on the bottom I would look at suplementing with some QUALITY 3 watt LED's. An added 24 Watts of LED's would extend your options considerably for keeping basicly anything in your tank.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 10:44 AM   #1364
nova65ss
Registered Member

Can anyone help me with my new T5 fixture combo? I have a solona and just switched from a 4 bulb aquaticlife to a 20" nova extreme 6 bulb setup. I have alot of lps and some sps up high.

The problem is ATI does not have a 20" bulb so I will need a suggestion on brand and color combo as well. Thank you!

Last edited by nova65ss; 04/21/2012 at 10:51 AM.
nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 02:05 PM   #1365
fiji4118
Registered Member

Hey Grim and company.

About to replace my bulbs. Current setup below for a mixed reef based on Grim's previous suggestion. Mostly LPS and zoas. Has worked great for growth and the few Sps I have love this setup. I'm wondering if there is a way to get this a little bit whiter without compromising the growth/health of the corals. I have seen the coral + mentioned a bit. I don't think it was available last time I bought bulbs. Tank is a 150.

80W bulbs
Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI purple Plus
Blue plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

Also, recommendations on where to buy online? Anyone new out there I should look at.

Thanks!

fiji4118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 02:07 PM   #1366
CarlitosReef
Registered Member

I have a standard 55g I am in the process of setting up all though the T5 fixture I can't seem to get it out of my head. I am planning in upgrading in the future but as for now I am between if to get the 6 bulbs or the 4 bulbs in 48" version.

I like the idea of having more room to play with with the 6 bulbs but my tank being 12" I would have some light coming off the edges.

I already have the TEK fixture legs but I figured if I get the 6 bulb I could hang it a little higher?

Advice???

BTW it will be mostly a frag tank I want to slowly add a little bit of everything in corals.

CarlitosReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 03:41 PM   #1367
dadina
Registered Member

Nova extreme 36" 4 bulb

Grim, I found your recommendation on Nova extreme36" 4 bulb, but I want all ATI if possible to keep only 1 vendor (expensive to ship here in PR) Should i do a blue plus, purple plus, and 2 aqua blue?

I have beginner 29g, established ~2 years, softies, fish, no SPS, but want to try LPS and anemone eventually. Thanks on behalf of all of us!

dadina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 07:15 PM   #1368
cintec
Registered Member

Hi All,

I have decided to get a T5 light unit but need some help on choosing which one I have a 4ft tank should I use 39w or 54w unit.

Then what is the difference between the Ati sun power and Ati powermodule.

Also is there any issues buying second hand(things to look out for) I was about to buy a 8x54w unit for cheap but it was sold after the guy agreed a price with me and agreed to hold it

cintec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 08:38 PM   #1369
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

Hello!

Current: front to back on aquatic life 72" t5 fixture 6 rows 12 bulbs
Blue plus
Aquatic life's purple bulb (came with fixture)
GE 6500
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus

I can't get my clam to stay up on the rock closer to the light. Plus, I want the best light selection possible for coral growth. I was thinking about changing the purple bulb to another blue plus. Any better suggestions??? I kept the aquatic life purple bulb originally because Grimm said it wasn't a ad bulb.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!!!

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 09:49 PM   #1370
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai75x View Post

4 Blue +
1 Coral +
1 Purple +

That is old school as well as what some low cost manufacturers still push. The atinic bulbs center there spectrum around 420 nm with a spread of about 30 nm so they produce light between 390 nm and 450 nm. Later they came out with 450 nm "atinics" which they promoted to use with the true atinics these centered around 450 nm with a bout a 35 nm spread so they went from 415 nm to 485 nm. The newer design like the Blue Plus are about 460 nm peak but produce light from 400 nm to 550 nm.

Also the ratio of "atinic" to 10,000K lighting used to have an old standard of 1 to 1. However it was found that corals colored up much better as well as grew better with ratios in the 1 to 3 to 1 to 4 range, with the majority of bulbs in the blue spectrum.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
Unread 04/21/2012, 10:02 PM   #1371
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova65ss View Post
Can anyone help me with my new T5 fixture combo? I have a solona and just switched from a 4 bulb aquaticlife to a 20" nova extreme 6 bulb setup. I have alot of lps and some sps up high.

The problem is ATI does not have a 20" bulb so I will need a suggestion on brand and color combo as well. Thank you!
Are you sure it is a T-5 20" bulb you need?

18 Watt HO T-5's are 16.5" Long
24 Watt HO T-5's are 22.5" Long
39 Watt HO T-5's are 34" Long
54 Watt HO T-5's are roughly 42" long

I have never heard of a 20" long T-5 bulb. If that is what your fixture takes you may be stuck with what gave you. But good luck if the bulbs ever burn out trying to find replacements.

Unread 04/21/2012, 10:09 PM   #1372
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.morgan78 View Post
Hello!

Current: front to back on aquatic life 72" t5 fixture 6 rows 12 bulbs
Blue plus
Aquatic life's purple bulb (came with fixture)
GE 6500
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus

I can't get my clam to stay up on the rock closer to the light. Plus, I want the best light selection possible for coral growth. I was thinking about changing the purple bulb to another blue plus. Any better suggestions??? I kept the aquatic life purple bulb originally because Grimm said it wasn't a ad bulb.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer!!!
The Aqualife purple is simular to the ATI purple plus however you would get slighly better light using the ATI Purple plus. So the switch could give you a niminal gain. Anoter gain might be swaping the Coral Plus to a Blue Plus. The tank won't be quite as bright but the Par would be lightly higher with more Blue.

If it were mine I would add a strip of LED's for added suplementation. If it is a 24" deep tank a strip of about 30 watts of Blue LED's in the front and back of the 6 bulb fixture.

Unread 04/21/2012, 10:19 PM   #1373
TropTrea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintec View Post
Hi All,

I have decided to get a T5 light unit but need some help on choosing which one I have a 4ft tank should I use 39w or 54w unit.

Then what is the difference between the Ati sun power and Ati powermodule.

Also is there any issues buying second hand(things to look out for) I was about to buy a 8x54w unit for cheap but it was sold after the guy agreed a price with me and agreed to hold it
you definatly want a 48" fixture. with the 36" fixture you would have notable fall off of the light on the ends.

I believe the biggest difference is the housing for these units. I believe they use the same Ballasts and the same Reflectors which are the most important things.

On used fixtures you want to check the shine of the reflector, chearness of the shield, and see that all the bulbs are lighting up and stayng lit. Ideally you want a fixture with two power cords so you can spilt up the bulbs on two timers.

Unread 04/22/2012, 06:08 AM   #1374
nova65ss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
Are you sure it is a T-5 20" bulb you need?

18 Watt HO T-5's are 16.5" Long
24 Watt HO T-5's are 22.5" Long
39 Watt HO T-5's are 34" Long
54 Watt HO T-5's are roughly 42" long

I have never heard of a 20" long T-5 bulb. If that is what your fixture takes you may be stuck with what gave you. But good luck if the bulbs ever burn out trying to find replacements.
Sorry yes they are 18s the fixture is 20 wasn't thinking correctly. The smallest bulb ATI makes is 24. Thank you

nova65ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2012, 07:44 AM   #1375
jacob.morgan78
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
If it were mine I would add a strip of LED's for added suplementation. If it is a 24" deep tank a strip of about 30 watts of Blue LED's in the front and back of the 6 bulb fixture.
Interesting. I'll definitely consider this. Any recommendations for a direction to go with this? I have zero knowledge on LEDs... Brand? Store?

Thanks a lot!!

jacob.morgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote