Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/30/2015, 08:47 PM   #1
bruindave
Registered Member

Acan in Trouble?

I bought this rainbow acan 5 days ago and placed it at the bottom of my tank. Is the skeleton starting to show on the heads on the left (red arrows)? Is it deflating since it seems more jagged? The heads on the right seem fine. The other acan I got seems to be the same from when I bought it and is also on the sand bed.

Here are all the specs.
28 gallon nano cube
89 watt LEDs
Ammonia - 0
Alkalinity - 9.6
Mg - 1420

I need to test nitrates and my Ca test kit hasn't arrived yet.

Is this fine or any ideas? Just want to make sure

bruindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Auston
Registered Member

What are you using to measure salinity?

Auston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:20 PM   #3
bruindave
Registered Member

whoops forgot that number. It is exactly 1.025

Unread 08/30/2015, 10:29 PM   #4
reef_aholic
Registered Member

How are you measuring it? Hydrometer or refactometor?

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal, 30 Gal Sump, Bubble Magus Curve 7, Kamoer 3 stage dosing system, AI Hydra x2.
reef_aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2015, 10:36 PM   #5
bruindave
Registered Member

oh i'm totally not here today. with a refractometer from BRS. I checked it with a LFS a month ago and it was accurate.

Unread 08/31/2015, 12:55 PM   #6
stravo71
Registered Member

Give him a good dipping and let it go. Keep an eye on it. If the recession doesn't stop than frag away death. I had this happen to my ultra rainbow acan. Managed to save it with a coral rx bath. Hope it helps

stravo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2015, 12:59 PM   #7
bruindave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stravo71 View Post
Give him a good dipping and let it go. Keep an eye on it. If the recession doesn't stop than frag away death. I had this happen to my ultra rainbow acan. Managed to save it with a coral rx bath. Hope it helps
what else should i dip it in? I dipped it in two little fishes coral revive cleaner when I first got it and that was about it. the other acan seems fine with the same dip.

Unread 08/31/2015, 01:40 PM   #8
stravo71
Registered Member

Coral rx. Or Lugels I use regular iodine from your local pharmacy. About two cups water and sixteenth cup iodine. Use your tank water. Yoshould barely see a red tint to your water. DO NOt USE A LOT OF IODINE. Will kill the coral. I learned by trial and error. Now this ia all I dip with. Works wonders. The iodine will kill all dying tissue and clean it out. Plus kills any bugs that shouldn't be there and it is a lot cheapet to use. But more dangerous if screwed up

Unread 08/31/2015, 09:23 PM   #9
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I really didn't see any tissue recession, but it's hard to tell for sure with these photos. Keep it out of bright light while acclimating.

The sand bed is the right place for it for now, but I like to hike the frags up a little bit with a ceramic disk or similar so polyp tissue isn't direct touching the sand.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2015, 11:27 AM   #10
bruindave
Registered Member

i'm beginning to wonder if i'm just freaking out over nothing. this is my first LPS coral

Here's a pic from the top. Does it look fine to you? Just looked spikier to me than when I picked it up. If you do acclimate it in shade for how many days do you do that for?

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:13 PM   #11
stravo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruindave View Post
i'm beginning to wonder if i'm just freaking out over nothing. this is my first LPS coral

Here's a pic from the top. Does it look fine to you? Just looked spikier to me than when I picked it up. If you do acclimate it in shade for how many days do you do that for?
In this picture everything looks GREAT. I have 7 differant kinds of acans and all are happy and healthy. Look like yours. Acans are my absolute favorite coral

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:43 PM   #12
bruindave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stravo71 View Post
In this picture everything looks GREAT. I have 7 differant kinds of acans and all are happy and healthy. Look like yours. Acans are my absolute favorite coral
thanks for the confirmation! yea when I looked at it again it seemed fine to me, especially from the top.

appreciate the help everyone. just trying not to kill things b/c of my ignorance.

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:46 PM   #13
stravo71
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruindave View Post
thanks for the confirmation! yea when I looked at it again it seemed fine to me, especially from the top.

appreciate the help everyone. just trying not to kill things b/c of my ignorance.
Oh believe me something will perish due to ignorance in this hobby. Happens to the best of us. Especially me In the earlier days. Happy reefing

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:47 PM   #14
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I think most get nervous introducing new corals for the first time. Especially really nice expensive ones! I don't see anything wrong in the top down pic either.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote