Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/01/2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Abbott78
Registered Member

Advise on my stocking list

Abbott78
Registered Member

Hello, im a new member here but have read hundreds of different threads here to help get my tank started. I have finally cycled my 80 gallon with 30g sump and just recenty added a pair of clowns and a few hermits and snails. I have over 100 pounds of rock in my tank. I was just hoping to get some of your opinions on my stocking wish list. My next purchase will hopefully be a blue tang(which ill quarantine for a few weeks), a yellow tang, a pair of banggai cardinals and a royal gramma. Then i plan on adding a cleaner shrimp, some sort of fairy wrasse that is reef safe, right now looking at redfin fairy wrasse or blue side fairy wrasse, and add a coral beauty and flame angel at the same time to hopefully avoid fighting as the will decide whats their territory at the same time and a neon goby or two. Finally i would like to add a zebra moray eel at the end and hopefully it will leave my cleaner shrimp alone. Any advise is greatly appreciated. I dont want to overstock my aquarium either as i won't likely be able to upgrade. Thanks, abbott78

Abbott78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2015, 12:10 PM   #2
kfisc
Registered Member

I think you would do well with a few small fish at first in an 80g- maybe even just the clowns and later the cardinals, and leave it at that. Good luck!

kfisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2015, 12:18 PM   #3
ZeeSparrow
Registered Member

2 clowns - what kind?
blue tang - minimum tank size is 180 gallons per Liveaquaria
yellow tang - 100 gallons
2 banggai cardinals
royal gramma
fairy wrasse
coral beauty - 70 gallons
flame angel - 70 gallons
2 neon gobies
zebra moray eel - min tank size of 125 gallons per Liveaquaria

Sounds overstocked to me. Too many fish that occupy the same niche and are not going to be happy together. You didn't mention if you're planning corals or not... some of those you listed may not be ideal if you do.

You should also consider adding them in the order of more peaceful first, more aggressive last.

I'd advise you do a bit more research.

Current Tank Info: 75G w/29G sump, Reefbreeders Photon 48, RO Classic 110-INT, Jebao DCT-8000, 2xJebao RW-8, 2xEheim Jager 150W heaters, Tunze Osmolator ATO, TLF GFO
ZeeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Abbott78
Registered Member

Ok thanks, ive read the the minimum for the blue tang is 75 gallons, ill leave it in the sea if my tank is too small no use in having an unhappy or sick fish. Also, would i be able to keep any kind of clean up crew with the zebra eel, ive had a snowflake in a previous tank and dont think it bothered anything. I was thinking starfish or large turbo snails but wasnt sure if it would eat those as well?

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Abbott78
Registered Member

And the clowns are ocellaris clownfish

Unread 09/01/2015, 12:41 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

You might be able to get by with either a Yellow or Kole Tang in your tank, but definitely not the Blue and not two tangs, only one. Also I would only go with one of the two angels or you almost certainly will have aggression issues as they mature. Note that about 50% of dwarf angels pick at corals, so you may have issues if you planned on keeping corals.
The eel is going to be problematic in that small of a tank with an already large bio-load.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Abbott78
Registered Member

Ok so if i drop the blue tang and one of the angels, and maybe also the neon gobies, would i be good, i plan ob getting the eel small an i know somebody that is willing to take the zebra moray if it gets too big. And which is less likly to eat my corals, the coral beauty or the flame angel? I used to have a coral beauty but never had and coral able to grow in that tank however i also had a parrotfish so that could be another cause. All opinions and ideas welcome

Unread 09/01/2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Spacekitty
Registered Member

I highly recommend posting your intended stocking list here as they will not only help with the bio load, but how the fish interact with each other as well http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2068112

Spacekitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, need advice, new aquarium