Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2008, 02:31 PM   #1
GSMguy
Registered Member

Lightbulb Shallow reef tank Club

Thats right folks another Club thread. I would like to have a place for everyone who has a shallow tank to post pictures, and share experiences. there seems to be quite a few shallow tank builds popping up and want to have a thread with pics of each one.

Only rule to Rule to join the club
Your tank should be longer or deeper than it is tall, unless it is a very large tank I would have to say 20 inches tall maximum??.

1st post should include the tanks dimensions a brief description of the tank and a Full tank shot.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2008, 02:38 PM   #2
GSMguy
Registered Member

I will start.

48x27x14 rimless acrylic tank, the tank was made by envision acrylics and is 67 gallons, i have 20g sump with a deltec skimmer and eheim return pump.

Full tank shots

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 05/23/2008, 02:39 PM   #3
GSMguy
Registered Member

XTM, Clownreef, EJ coral and all the others I have forgotten please post up some shots

Unread 05/23/2008, 02:40 PM   #4
JustinReef
Registered Member

72" x 20" x 18" tall (Water level 16" though).

Was going for a "Lagoon" or planted style tank. Ended up with about 10 species of macro algae and some softies. Two puffers, a Sleeper Goby, Hawkfish, Copperband Butterfly, Blue Damsel, and a Kole tang. Lighting was one 250 watt MH that was angled to shine light across the tank from left to right. 40G sump, 40G refugium, Bubblemaster 200 Skimmer, 200 mg/hr Ozone...

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2008, 02:49 PM   #5
GSMguy
Registered Member

very nice, Justin the fish must love all that open space, Why only one tang?
do you have a close up shots of the puffers?

Another thing i love about my new tank is that the lights Do not cover the whole tank, in fact the front of the tank gets very little light but it is more dramatic that way. My old tank was a uniform brightness all over.

Unread 05/23/2008, 02:54 PM   #6
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
very nice, Justin the fish must love all that open space, Why only one tang?
do you have a close up shots of the puffers?

Another thing i love about my new tank is that the lights Do not cover the whole tank, in fact the front of the tank gets very little light but it is more dramatic that way. My old tank was a uniform brightness all over.
Im not sure why only one tang to be honest, I just feel like a lot of tangs I lilke would get too big.

Here's the puffers:

Unread 05/23/2008, 02:56 PM   #7
JustinReef
Registered Member

I also really like not having uniform light over the whole tank. I think it looks more natural not to. Or dramatic like you said

Unread 05/23/2008, 03:05 PM   #8
GSMguy
Registered Member

justin that is an excellent way to do a softie display, your tank looks very natural and not cluttered, it reminds me of snorkeling along shallow sandy areas in the ocean, lots of open sand and small rock outcroppings.

Oddly enough i had a Brackish tank very similar to yours but with fake plants, of course, and a group of spotted puffers and a snowflake eel and a couple of spawning orange chromis when i lived in London. i will try and find pictures.

Unread 05/23/2008, 03:10 PM   #9
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
justin that is an excellent way to do a softie display, your tank looks very natural and not cluttered, it reminds me of snorkeling along shallow sandy areas in the ocean, lots of open sand and small rock outcroppings.

Oddly enough i had a Brackish tank very similar to yours but with fake plants, of course, and a group of spotted puffers and a snowflake eel and a couple of spawning orange chromis when i lived in London. i will try and find pictures.
Sounds like a beautiful tank! I just took down my 100G brackish mangrove tank It was home to a pair of Archer fish, Green Spotted Puffer, tons of black mollies and a pair of Mono Sebae. I really miss this tank already but we moved and had no room for it in the new place. I am debating starting a little brackish tank with an empty 24G nano I have.

I would love to see pics of your old tank...

Unread 05/23/2008, 03:28 PM   #10
GSMguy
Registered Member

unfortunately there are no pictures of it on my computer it was a small tank around 3 ft i remember but it was big for me back then.

Unread 05/23/2008, 10:00 PM   #11
the budman
Registered Member

shallow reef

i have a 40 long that is 48x12x18. i run a remora skimmer, 360gph canister filter and a small refugium for filtration. i also have an oscillating powerhead at one end angled slightly down and a koralia #1 at the other end angled slightly up. for fish i have a pair of maroon clowns, 1 6 line wrasee, 1 bicolor blenny, 1 scissorstail goby and a yellow clown goby. among the assortment of normal hermits and snails are 3 emerald green crabs, a pair of gold coral banded shrimp, a horseshoe crab, 2 serpent stars, and a conch. i do not know scientific names so my corals are like this. 3 leather "trees" one is green, one is tan and one is tan and chocolate. 4 kinds of mushrooms. a purple lamnellia?, green frogspawn, torch, and some assorted zoods, a black tube sponge also a BTA for the clowns. if some one tells me how i will put pictures up. i have cheoto and mangroves in the refugium
Budman

Current Tank Info: 40 sw reef(soft coral mostly)
the budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2008, 10:06 PM   #12
GSMguy
Registered Member

Budman, set up an account at photobucket.com its free and they provide a link for forums.

Unread 05/24/2008, 06:12 AM   #13
jimnrose
Registered Member

I have a 72 x 24 x 17 tank but just getting started. The tank is in the wall between rooms with cabinets on both sides and above the opening. The sump, refugium and treatment tanks are in the cabinets with a 13' limestone wall below the tank. Sorry no pictures yet. Jim

jimnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2008, 07:31 AM   #14
84chris
Registered Member

My tank is 40x40x13, i drilled it in the middle for the return and overflow. My rock is then is circled around it so it is a big island in the middle of the tank and the fish have 360 degrees of swimming room. I use a 400w radium and 2 t5's. I have a mix of sps and lps with 1 or 2 soft corals. We are currently looking for a new digital camera since ours is a P.O.S. Hopefully this weekend i can post some pictures.

84chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2008, 07:38 AM   #15
CMcNeil
Registered Member

DIY 60g rimless,the tanks dimensions are 32"x32"x16" i have all tunze pumps including the return pump.

here it is just with liverock

Unread 05/25/2008, 09:57 AM   #16
xtm
Registered Member

here's mine

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2008, 02:06 PM   #17
E.J. Coral
Registered Member

I am setting up a 48x30x17.5(97g) right now. It is my first shallow tank, and I absolutely love the dimensions

The tank will be a gigantea species tank.......

E.J. Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2008, 03:55 PM   #18
maroun.c
Registered Member

Very nice tank XTM

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
maroun.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 08:18 AM   #19
143gadgets
Moved On

LOVE your dimensions E.J.!!!

143gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 08:22 AM   #20
143gadgets
Moved On

Here are a few pics of mine. Dimensions are 48"x24"x18" (90g). Tank is SPS dominated.

143gadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 10:18 AM   #21
Darth Wader
Registered Member

Oh man, seeing all those amazing shallow tanks, especially xtm's tank makes me want to build a new shallow tank and pretty much start over. I love the look of wide shallow tanks.

Darth Wader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 10:28 AM   #22
B.friend
B.Friend

Im loving all of them

And I did Bo Bo Here

And I really Underestimated the creepyness"

Current Tank Info: RIP 200 Gallon , New Tank 124 Gallon Rimless Cube , Glass,
B.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 10:29 AM   #23
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

It's why I had both a brand new 40 gallon breeder and 30 gallon breeder (same footprint) sitting side by side in my study, and chose to set up the 30 breeder over the 40: relative dimensions.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 10:41 AM   #24
xtm
Registered Member

Thanks guys.. perhaps one very positive thing about running a shallow tank is you can get away with 250w 20K's and still have tons of PAR. I had NO growth when I used 20K's in my 24" deep tank. My shallow tank has only been setup for 2 weeks and I'm already seeing good growth on the tips! I am much happier with this shallow setup.

by switching to this smaller setup, I have eliminated the following:

2x 6100 Turbelle streams ~25w ea
1x 250w MH
2x 54w T5HO actinics

That's about 400 watts!

Also by switching, I was able to build MY system the way I wanted to do it from the ground up-- that is, OPEN aquascape with access to all 4 sides so I can keep it squeaky clean, and also external overflow to maximize space inside the tank. Man I LOVE this new setup! It's like having a new younger girlfriend after being married for 20 years!! LOVE IT!

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 11:08 AM   #25
Darth Wader
Registered Member

Yea thats awesome. I want to get 20k's but I'm kinda worried about par. My tank is only 20" deep so I should be ok. Maybe I will just overhaul my tank and try out some different stuff.
I love your setup xtm, one of the cleanest and most apealing setups I've seen in a while. 143gadgets, I wont lie you have an amazing setup too. I fallowed your whole build. I love the depth of your tank and the fact that the rock on both sides is like and island and doesnt touch any of the walls. Man I wish I had that kinda depth in my tank.

Darth Wader is offline   Reply With Quote