Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Kengar
Registered Member

Patching a Sump From Artfully Acrylic

I have a sump that was made by Artfully Acrylic. I need to patch a bulkhead hole.

Weld-On 3 and Weld-On 4 are available from Amazon. Weld-On information page says that 3 and 4 will not bond to cross-linked acrylics. I have no idea whether AA uses cross-linked acrylics.

I do see this online:

What this essentially means, is that an additional chemical has been added to give these materials [cross-linked acrylics] greater resistance to harsh chemicals and staining agents. As a result, they resist the solvents that would normally dissolve and fuse regular acrylic sheets. To properly bond these types of materials, you will need to use adhesives, rather than solvents. These take longer than solvents to cure, so many fabricators rule them out right away because of the effect that curing times have on large volume production

The panels of the sump appear to be joined by solvent welding, so I suspect it's not cross-linked acrylic.

Has anyone here patched a sump (or other product) from Artfully Acrylic? Do you recall what you used? Was it with company input or just SWAG as to what to use? (I have message in to them but just checking here, too, in the interim.)

Unread 10/14/2018, 02:56 PM   #2
skulls1075
Registered Member

cross link means two different types of materials. so if the sump was made with acrylic, you need to patch it with a piece of acrylic.

skulls1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2018, 02:57 PM   #3
skulls1075
Registered Member

btw, i have heard bad things about their products and service so i hope this patch job goes well for you!

Unread 10/14/2018, 03:28 PM   #4
Kengar
Registered Member

Cross linking refers to the molecular chains bonding to each other.

Re products and service, the sump was bought second hand. I tried to get info from them once before on something else — a quote for a revised version of the sump I think — and they came across as too busy to be bothered. The sump is fairly bare bones, which is fine by me since it will be in separate fish room behind f tank and not seen. What sort of issues have you heard about?

Unread 10/14/2018, 03:46 PM   #5
skulls1075
Registered Member

so basically don’t use weldon 3 or 4 if you are trying to bond two different plastics together - acrylic, abs, etc.

i have heard from at least three people that they never reply to inquiries. and one person i know had a ato container built and it leaked after 5 months. not my experiences though so take it for what it is. but it sounds you got some pretty bad service too.

Unread 10/14/2018, 07:12 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

3 or 4 is fine on acrylic..
Go for it.. Its highly unlikely its cross linked

Unread 10/18/2018, 06:49 AM   #7
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skulls1075 View Post
so basically don’t use weldon 3 or 4 if you are trying to bond two different plastics together - acrylic, abs, etc.

i have heard from at least three people that they never reply to inquiries. and one person i know had a ato container built and it leaked after 5 months. not my experiences though so take it for what it is. but it sounds you got some pretty bad service too.
they replied to message sent via facebook. Weld-on 4 or 16.

I'll use 16 to attach patch to the inside of the sump and put some 4 around the perimeter of the hole, in the corner where the surface of the patch intersects with the wall of the hole