Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2017, 06:12 PM   #2051
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Very curious to see what the spread of these is like.

Local reef buddy has 3 over a 4' long tank, probably a bit overkill (or at least I am hoping they don't need that type of density)

Unread 01/20/2017, 08:33 PM   #2052
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsuphysics View Post
Very curious to see what the spread of these is like.

Local reef buddy has 3 over a 4' long tank, probably a bit overkill (or at least I am hoping they don't need that type of density)
2 should be more than enough for a 4' tank. I have one LX6200 over a 3' tank and there is plenty of light. 2 over a 4' tank would be perfect.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 10:53 AM   #2053
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

So a 3 foot spread is acceptable? Just was curious since next tank is going to be in the 7 to 8 foot range

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:04 AM   #2054
scuzy
Registered Member

I'm going to get 4 for my 6 footer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 02:57 PM   #2055
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So a 3 foot spread is acceptable? Just was curious since next tank is going to be in the 7 to 8 foot range
They will spread 3' if the fixture is up high enough but I'd probably keep them a bit closer so you have better intensity between them. On a 7 or 8 foot tank, I would go with 3 if not 4 of them but it will depend greatly on how you have the rock and coral situated and the depth of the tank from front to back. ideally you would want to run the lights from from to back instead of length wise in which case, you would want the fixtures closer together.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 01/21/2017, 03:01 PM   #2056
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

What does your lighting proflie look like?

As in peaks valleys temperature?

Does it have a control program that you can take a screen shot of?

Just wondering how you have them programmed throughout the day and the percentages.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 03:04 PM   #2057
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
What does your lighting proflie look like?

As in peaks valleys temperature?

Does it have a control program that you can take a screen shot of?

Just wondering how you have them programmed throughout the day and the percentages.
Right now I have a program/project that is very minimal intensity as I didn't want to shock the corals with the full potential of these fixtures. Especially considering that the Kessils haven't been dialed back. I need to work on the project a bit more as I need to increase the intensity to more usable levels. Once I do that, I will post the screen shots of the programming. Hopefully that will come tomorrow assuming I get them hung then. The plan is to film the install for an LA Fish Guys episode so I need to get Jim here for that.

Unread 01/21/2017, 03:21 PM   #2058
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Ahh that is understandable. Does he know the corals are wanting better light? HAHAHA

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 03:59 PM   #2059
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm5406 View Post
Ahh that is understandable. Does he know the corals are wanting better light? HAHAHA
LOL.. Fortunately there is no shortage of light above the tank at the moment with 10 Kessils and the two Mitras. Tomorrow I'll be thinning the herd slightly.. Well, maybe not really since I will only remove two of the 10 kessils to start but will be adding the rest of the Mitras. At that point I will begin the acclimation process by lowering the Kessil intensity some and increasing the Mitras. What I haven't decided yet is what intensity I will be running them both at. I will use my PAR meter to determine that as I will get some numbers of the Kessils and find a happy medium between the two in terms of intenisty that doesn't increase the PAR for the short term.

Unread 01/21/2017, 04:46 PM   #2060
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
2 should be more than enough for a 4' tank. I have one LX6200 over a 3' tank and there is plenty of light. 2 over a 4' tank would be perfect.
Thanks for that info on a 4' tank.

I have a 42" x 22" x 24" display area.

Slief, looks like 2 fixtures would pull that off easily or would I still get shadowing?

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
GoVols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2017, 05:37 PM   #2061
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
Thanks for that info on a 4' tank.

I have a 42" x 22" x 24" display area.

Slief, looks like 2 fixtures would pull that off easily or would I still get shadowing?
Two should work fine.

Unread 01/21/2017, 09:35 PM   #2062
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Two should work fine.
Thanks Slief

One more question, if you don't mind.

With my display area being 42" wide by 22" deep. Which way would you mount the 2 for the most even led spread?

Would you mount the 2 mitras 12.8" length, side by side going across my 42" width
or do you feel it would be better to mount the 12.8" side by side from front to back of my 22" dept?

Current Tank Info: 2013-RSM S-400 (Merlot) / BB / Mixed Reef / Lighting: Kessil AP700 with S-Series led bar / Bubble King 160 skimmer / GEO 2-Stage Cal Reactor with GLA dual-stage regulator / Teco TK-1000 Chiller & Heater / GFO & Purigen reactor's
Unread 01/21/2017, 09:51 PM   #2063
scuzy
Registered Member

Think your first option will have the best spread.

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:02 PM   #2064
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post

Thanks,

I have an older RSM S 400 with the original T5 canopy and modded leds into the mid section and still pushing the remaining 8 T5's on the the outer sections that flip up.

Red Sea released their led upgrage kit last year. It comes with 2 AI hydra 26 hd's.

So, I'm thinking about getting my (lfs) to order the Red Sea led mount bar that fits my 400 and it fits inside my upper rim so I can slide it back and forth to were it want my led's.

Get the new Mitras and mount them to that upgrade kit bar and it will look factory and I can hide the wires inside the bar.

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:06 PM   #2065
scuzy
Registered Member

I'm going to order mine soon

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:15 PM   #2066
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post

I agree. That said, it will depend on how the rock work is setup. If there is sufficient open space on either end of the dispaly, I might run them front to back instead of left to right down the length of the tank. That would help with shadowing. If they are being mounted inside a canopy or to a lighting mount, articulating mounts like the ones I am using could be used to angle the lights towards center to help with spread and reduce shadowing as well as reducing light on the side viewing panes. Height of the lights or distance from the water will also be a factor in what will ultimately be the best layout. As I mentioned before, these lights are insanely powerful which allows for higher mounting without sacrificing much if any PAR. I have the luxury of being able to raise or lower my light rack so if needed. I can raise my light rack for better coverage and increase the intensity as needed.

Unread 01/21/2017, 11:57 PM   #2067
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree. That said, it will depend on how the rock work is setup. If there is sufficient open space on either end of the dispaly, I might run them front to back instead of left to right down the length of the tank. That would help with shadowing. If they are being mounted inside a canopy or to a lighting mount, articulating mounts like the ones I am using could be used to angle the lights towards center to help with spread and reduce shadowing as well as reducing light on the side viewing panes. Height of the lights or distance from the water will also be a factor in what will ultimately be the best layout. As I mentioned before, these lights are insanely powerful which allows for higher mounting without sacrificing much if any PAR. I have the luxury of being able to raise or lower my light rack so if needed. I can raise my light rack for better coverage and increase the intensity as needed.
I thinking both of you are correct going long ways with the length of the tank for the spread. The RS led bar is fairly tall witch is going to help with spread too. With that bar I side were I want it and angle the two fixtures if needed after I find the front to back sweet spot.

I guarantee they will not even be close to push at 100%. I've have better results in the past with led's to buy over power, choke it back and make sure to get the spread correct.

Thanks for both of you to take the time to give me guidance.

Unread 01/22/2017, 01:22 AM   #2068
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
I thinking both of you are correct going long ways with the length of the tank for the spread. The RS led bar is fairly tall witch is going to help with spread too. With that bar I side were I want it and angle the two fixtures if needed after I find the front to back sweet spot.

I guarantee they will not even be close to push at 100%. I've have better results in the past with led's to buy over power, choke it back and make sure to get the spread correct.

Thanks for both of you to take the time to give me guidance.
If you can raise the lights like you say, I would probably run them side by side and see of that works. It will provide less shadowing from front to back. I'd likely place them 1.5' apart or each one 9" out from center of the tank and see how that works. If you can angle them towards center, you could probably space them 20" apart or even 22" apart. If that doesn't work, then run the length wise but you will be really surprised by the spread and becaue of the power, you will have more than one option for mounting.

Unread 01/22/2017, 01:59 AM   #2069
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
If you can raise the lights like you say, I would probably run them side by side and see of that works. It will provide less shadowing from front to back. I'd likely place them 1.5' apart or each one 9" out from center of the tank and see how that works. If you can angle them towards center, you could probably space them 20" apart or even 22" apart. If that doesn't work, then run the length wise but you will be really surprised by the spread and becaue of the power, you will have more than one option for mounting.
Thanks again Slief,

The RS led bar is high enough that Red Sea puts the hydra's in the way you just said.
They run the (2) hydra's 7.3" length front to back.

The hydra's are 7.3" x 5.375 with two round leds pucks (But I would not call it corner to corner spread)

The Mitra's are 12.8" x 7.9" with the six square pucks more spread out (If I get lucky I may be able to run them the 12.8" length with my 42" length to get a better corner to corner spread) the 7.9" Mitra depth is a tad longer than the Hydra 7.3" length.

Unread 01/22/2017, 12:00 PM   #2070
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

If you have a lot of open space why would you care about how much light the sandbed/tank bottom gets?

Unread 01/22/2017, 12:57 PM   #2071
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
If you have a lot of open space why would you care about how much light the sandbed/tank bottom gets?
Not sure if that question was for me or not. I don't really care about the light the bottom of the tank gets. It gets what it gets and it's not something I even bother measuring. I don't really keep corals that need high intensity down there anyway. That said, because of the way I have my lights mounted around the perimeneter of the tank (with with fixtures tilted a bit to aim the light towards the middle of the tank), the bottom of the tank still gets more than enough light for most any corals.

Jim will be here around 1PM with video cameras in hand to film the lighting upgrade for an up coming LA Fish Guys episode as well as to film an LA Frag Guys episode. The new Mitras will be installed and setup today! Stay tuned. Pictures to some later this afternoon or evening.

Unread 01/22/2017, 02:06 PM   #2072
GoVols
Registered Member

Quote:
Not sure if that question was for me or not. I don't really care about the light the bottom of the tank gets. It gets what it gets and it's not something I even bother measuring. I don't really keep corals that need high intensity down there anyway. That said, because of the way I have my lights mounted around the perimeneter of the tank (with with fixtures tilted a bit to aim the light towards the middle of the tank), the bottom of the tank still gets more than enough light for most any corals.

Jim will be here around 1PM with video cameras in hand to film the lighting upgrade for an up coming LA Fish Guys episode as well as to film an LA Frag Guys episode. The new Mitras will be installed and setup today! Stay tuned. Pictures to some later this afternoon or evening.

Unread 01/22/2017, 09:57 PM   #2073
slief
RC Sponsor

Mitras are installed!! Install went very smooth thanks to good planning. We filmed the entire install and even dedicated an entire part of the episode to software setup and basic programming.

I still have work to do on the lighting project (programming) as I am starting with minimal intensity in order to acclimate my corals slowly to the new lighting. I dropped the intenisty on my Kessils a bit and will take my time with the adjustments.

Here are some pictures. I will work on some tank shots as well but at this point, it would be though to tell the difference from one light to the next with the camera.

Unread 01/23/2017, 06:48 PM   #2074
GoVols
Registered Member

Slief,

Looking good!!!!!!!!!

Tagging along

Unread 01/23/2017, 07:34 PM   #2075
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

You're sexy and you know it!