Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2011, 06:53 PM   #2526
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Have yet to see my LM nip at an SPS base.....

So did you get one from the LFS?

I will have some pics uploaded tonight.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 07:44 PM   #2527
110galreef
Registered Member

Hahaha....Sweet

Unread 03/13/2011, 08:39 PM   #2528
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

The new addition...

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:03 PM.
Unread 03/13/2011, 09:07 PM   #2529
Greenmaster
Registered Member

Nice new addition to the tank. I see he is already eyeballing the algae on the snail

If you want to follow my 320g tall tank build/experiment click the search at the top of the page type in "320g" select "Search Titles Only" then click search. The "320g build/journey/experiment :-)" with more then one page is the one you want.

Current Tank Info: 320g Build in progress
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 09:20 PM   #2530
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Nice fish you got there. How long are you going to wait till you add your next fish?

duncantse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2011, 09:33 PM   #2531
Powederblue
Registered Member

gotta love the algae blennies, such personality.

Powederblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 04:21 AM   #2532
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powederblue View Post
Agreed, they are one of my favorites. Only problem for me was about a year later when my tank was Algae free I couldn't get him to eat and he starved to death.......Too afraid to try another one.....

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 09:23 AM   #2533
110galreef
Registered Member

awesome, i bet you see him chowing away & getting a little fat at first!

Unread 03/14/2011, 09:36 AM   #2534
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
Nice new addition to the tank. I see he is already eyeballing the algae on the snail
Thanks Green. Yeah he was nipping at that snail's shell right before the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncantse View Post
Nice fish you got there. How long are you going to wait till you add your next fish?
Who knows? I'm so paranoid about adding fish. I just want to make sure my new additions will be with me for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powederblue View Post
He's definitely a character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeftanknewbie View Post
Agreed, they are one of my favorites. Only problem for me was about a year later when my tank was Algae free I couldn't get him to eat and he starved to death.......Too afraid to try another one.....
That's no good... I saw him go after a little flake last night so hopefully this one can be trained.

Quote:
awesome, i bet you see him chowing away & getting a little fat at first!
Oh yeah, as soon as he found his new home he was out looking for dinner. He was eying the bigger pieces of algae but no takers yet, but plenty of nipping at the rocks.

Unread 03/14/2011, 08:47 PM   #2535
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

Some pics for you.

Came home and saw some Cerith Snail eggs on the glass.

Closeup of the eggs.

And a couple coral closeups...

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:03 PM.
Unread 03/14/2011, 09:10 PM   #2536
psteeleb
Registered Member

great pictures Brett

love the LMB and those corals are looking awesome, nice encrusting growth and great colors

Current Tank Info: 110g Mixed Reef, LED's & T5's
psteeleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 09:16 PM   #2537
duncantse
Fish Advisor

Do you QT your fish or not?

duncantse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 10:31 PM   #2538
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteeleb View Post
great pictures Brett

love the LMB and those corals are looking awesome, nice encrusting growth and great colors
Thanks Pete. He's quite the character. He's already eating the nuisance algae/cyano I want gone so that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncantse View Post
Do you QT your fish or not?
The 3 fish I currently have in the tank, no. I've had the Yellow Tang for years, transferred him from the old system once this one was up and running. The other two were at the LFS in hypo and copper for a few weeks so it's not to say they are completely safe but it's a better shot I suppose. I tried QT'ing 5 Blue-Green Chromis and lost all of them within 3 days. Don't know exactly what happened but that QT experience wasn't the most pleasant.

Unread 03/14/2011, 10:39 PM   #2539
iwishtofish
Registered Member

Great pictures - I hope you don't ever get tired of taking (and posting) them as your tank evolves! It's really hard not love the personality of the lawnmowers. Grinchy-looking little things...

Are you getting coralline growth lately on the Marco Rock?

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2011, 11:31 PM   #2540
afernandez
Never Quit!!

Really nice PE! I've been slaking when it comes to posting but I'm here ! Lol

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 04:46 AM   #2541
tegee
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
The 3 fish I currently have in the tank, no. I've had the Yellow Tang for years, transferred him from the old system once this one was up and running. The other two were at the LFS in hypo and copper for a few weeks so it's not to say they are completely safe but it's a better shot I suppose. I tried QT'ing 5 Blue-Green Chromis and lost all of them within 3 days. Don't know exactly what happened but that QT experience wasn't the most pleasant.
Funny you mentioned that experience, well not funny that they all died, but I had the very same experience last month Qt-ing a shippment of fish I received. All four died within 5-days and this was after I setup a nice QT system.

What do you feel was the cause? I reviewed my entire QT process with the LFS that I purchased and they felt there was too much flow in my setup for the fish the acclimate properly??? I have since made minor adjustments to my setup to assure better success. Wish I had a better answer and/or cause and interested in your experience.

Unread 03/15/2011, 09:05 AM   #2542
110galreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post

Came home and saw some Cerith Snail eggs on the glass.

So thats what that is.....

I had that like 2 times now on my acrylic! 1st time i had no clue what it was....2nd time i saw it following a snail & just figured it was sort of slime trail!

Guess I was wrong!

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:04 PM.
110galreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 01:51 PM   #2543
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishtofish View Post
Great pictures - I hope you don't ever get tired of taking (and posting) them as your tank evolves! It's really hard not love the personality of the lawnmowers. Grinchy-looking little things...

Are you getting coralline growth lately on the Marco Rock?
As long as there are people interested in my tank I'll never get tired of sharing. I'm getting some coralline, not anywhere near a complete covering of the rocks but I have a few nice patches. I'm also getting some purple growing on the overflows as well. There's some neat colors like bright orange that are showing up in places. Kind of cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
Really nice PE! I've been slaking when it comes to posting but I'm here ! Lol
Thanks afernandez. Glad you stopped in to take a peek. Glad to have you around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Funny you mentioned that experience, well not funny that they all died, but I had the very same experience last month Qt-ing a shippment of fish I received. All four died within 5-days and this was after I setup a nice QT system.

What do you feel was the cause? I reviewed my entire QT process with the LFS that I purchased and they felt there was too much flow in my setup for the fish the acclimate properly??? I have since made minor adjustments to my setup to assure better success. Wish I had a better answer and/or cause and interested in your experience.
Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm not exactly sure what happened but my Chromis were bought at a local fish store. Looked like they were doing well in the tank at the store so I bought them. I'm guessing stress of QT, not acclimating to a stable environment. Or just possibly malnutrition. I tried feeding Rods, Flake, Pellet and they wouldn't eat. Might of fared better feeding them if they had been placed in the display from the beginning. Not totally sure...

Quote:
So thats what that is.....

I had that like 2 times now on my acrylic! 1st time i had no clue what it was....2nd time i saw it following a snail & just figured it was sort of slime trail!

Guess I was wrong!
Ha! Yep, snail eggs.

Unread 03/15/2011, 02:09 PM   #2544
jjwill_sdsu
Registered Member

How's the zeo cocktail going? Have you noticed a difference in your coral colors and/or water parameters?

Current Tank Info: 144 gallon half cylinder, 40 gal sump, mixed reef, 2x250W MH
jjwill_sdsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 05:04 PM   #2545
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwill_sdsu View Post
How's the zeo cocktail going? Have you noticed a difference in your coral colors and/or water parameters?
Hey jjwill_sdsu. I've backed off the Coral Snow somewhat, dosing 2x weekly now. I'll update everyone on the full dosing schedule tonight - or at least where it currently stands... I was very pleased with how effective it was in battling the filamentous cyano that is in the tank, as the pictures on previous pages showed. I'm still trying to get balance how much AAHC to dose throughout the week without creating a hair algae bloom. I haven't dosed much in the last couple weeks but have dose 2 times in very small doses this week. The Magic Brew I was dosing absolutely helped with polyp extension and added a little bit of color but still trying to get the right balance while avoiding any unnecessary blooms.

I have an update tonight on something else I'm working on so I'll fill you in on the details then...

Unread 03/15/2011, 05:15 PM   #2546
dhickey
Registered Member

Wow

2 days and 2545 posts later, I'm all caught up. I learned tons from WaterKeepers newbie tank setup guide...long but good read. Now, I jumped onto your thread. The biggest thing I learned from you is that I don't know anything yet! Really awesome build tons of info (which alot was over my head still), but entertaining all the way! Thanks alot!

Right now I am brand new to this, and I am trying to get a plan together for a small tank (55-75 gal range). I'm still trying to figure out where to start, actually I know that one, Tank, RODI, and salt mix! After that is where it gets fuzzy! Anyway just wanted to chime in and say good job!

David

dhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 07:30 PM   #2547
afernandez
Never Quit!!

nice cant wait!!!

Current Tank Info: 120g Apex controller, (2) mp40w Es ,(3) Mp10W Es, Alfa vertex 170, 8 bulb ATI Dimable Sunpower,REEFOCTOPUS-BB-10000, Tunze Ato . 21G MINI-Reef, 250w MH, Mp10Wes
afernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 07:51 PM   #2548
crvz
Team RC Member

cool new fish, Brett, I hope it does well for you.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2011, 08:09 PM   #2549
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhickey View Post
2 days and 2545 posts later, I'm all caught up. I learned tons from WaterKeepers newbie tank setup guide...long but good read. Now, I jumped onto your thread. The biggest thing I learned from you is that I don't know anything yet! Really awesome build tons of info (which alot was over my head still), but entertaining all the way! Thanks alot!

Right now I am brand new to this, and I am trying to get a plan together for a small tank (55-75 gal range). I'm still trying to figure out where to start, actually I know that one, Tank, RODI, and salt mix! After that is where it gets fuzzy! Anyway just wanted to chime in and say good job!

David
Thanks so much for the compliment David. I'm sure your build will be great! Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afernandez View Post
nice cant wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
cool new fish, Brett, I hope it does well for you.
Thanks Chris. Me too!

Unread 03/15/2011, 10:08 PM   #2550
drummereef
Team RC Member

UPDATE:

So I thought I would update you on the current dosing schedule. I've made some changes in the last week so I'm still dialing it in.

The current schedule is:

1tsp ZEOzym / 9 drops Bio-Mate (Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri)
6 drops AAHC (Tues)
"Magic Brew" 9ml Coral Snow / 3 drops ZEObak / 6 drops AAHC (1x weekly after water change)

As mentioned, I started a new dosing regimen using a different set of KZ products. These are ZEOzym and Bio-Mate. ZEOzym is an enzyme based supplement that help break down proteins and increase bacterial metabolism. Bio-Mate is a bacterial supplement designed to "clean" rock and substrates. They can be used separately but work well when dosed in combination. Usually dosed a couple times per week, I'm dosing more frequently to see if it continues to help break down the mulm on my rock and sand.

Here's a rock before starting the ZEOzym / Bio-Mate dosing taken a few weeks ago. As you can see there is a "mulm" buildup on the rock. This is what the combination is specifically designed to break down.

And here's a rock after a couple weeks of dosing the mixture. Notice the "mulm" is significantly reduced and you can see the pores of the rock again. From my experience this combination works as suggested.

Last edited by Misled; 04/08/2018 at 07:04 PM.