Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2009, 08:39 PM   #26
eran
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by subman719
I'm starting to think that instead of re-inventing the wheel, they should have just kept the standard Bubble King designs and just tried cone bodies on them but keep everything else the same. That may have worked better!
you have to remember that this is a Vertex cone design not a Royal Exclusive design.

eran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 08:40 PM   #27
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
Forums are so people can discuss issues whether good or bad. You can't get ****ed because someone has a different experience than you do. If you do then maybe a grow up is in order.
I didn't get upset by our different experience, I got upset that you told me to "stop thinking" when I said "I don't think.."

Your comment to "stop thinking" was uncalled for.

Then you follow-up with a comment that I/we should grow up?

You should have quit commenting rather than make things worse with more insults.

HeneryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 08:51 PM   #28
eran
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robthorn
I have no anger. You can make my voice any way you want that is up to you. I'm not even a little upset with the little henery or BIGtex. Sharing ones experience isn't negativity. You only think it is because it's not your personal experience.
Why should I pay to ship skimmers back and forth because of warranty issues? Seems to me I shouldn;t have too. Once maybe. Too ship mine back and pay for it and then ship jeremy's back to him and maybe even mine or a new one back to me doesn't make sense. Jeremy did send me a label to ship mine back but it's coming out of my refund. I am greatful he agreed to do it for me to save me some money.
Forums are so people can discuss issues whether good or bad. You can't get ****ed because someone has a different experience than you do. If you do then maybe a grow up is in order.
Wow, you have to pay for the shipping!!!! That sucks big time. Every company that I have ever ordered goods through and had a warranty issue with has always covered shipping, fish related or not. I feel the same way about the shipping issue. SORRY bud. Skimmers are not cheap to be shipping left and right.

Unread 09/06/2009, 08:52 PM   #29
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eran
you have to remember that this is a Vertex cone design not a Royal Exclusive design.
I know it's a "Vertex" but when I read the product description, I felt confident that it was the best, being built by Royal. Here's what I read:

Brand new line of cone protein skimmers from Royal Exclusiv, maker of famous Bubble King protein Skimmers and Red Dragon water pumps.

PROTEIN SKIMMERS/INTERNAL

Unquestionably, there must be no concessions when it comes to engineering and producing the finest aquarium equipment. Only by these convictions can performance be pushed beyond expectations. Vertex Aquaristik™, in association with Royal Exclusiv, brings to you the next stage of evolution in high-performance Saltwater management. Crediting to its ultramodern design and differentiating features, this top model clearly distinguishes from competition.

PEERLESS IN ITS CLASS

This is the Protein Skimmer you have been waiting for. The revolutionary conical body paired with the refinement of the Red Dragon pump creates a potent combination of exceptional waste extraction, whisper quiet operation and low-impact energy conservation. The precision construction from the highest quality materials coalesces together in a form that is both durable and being feature-rich. These meticulous attentions to design result in an execution that is conclusively untouchable.

I hope you can understand how my expectations were BEYOND the stars!!!

"Fish are Friends, NOT Food!" - Finding Nemo

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal - Mixed Reef, 75 gal and 40 gal holding tanks. 20 gal mini reef and several fish only PICO tanks.
subman719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 08:53 PM   #30
bigtex52
Old Salt

whatever.. I think that was a very generous offer by Jeremy to swap yours out with a known good one, but now you'll never know.

bigtex52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 08:56 PM   #31
bigtex52
Old Salt

eran, they aren't swapping out with him. He is returning his skimmer for a refund. That is why they are charging him return shipping. They offered him one that is known to work but he refused.

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:02 PM   #32
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
Originally posted by bigtex52
whatever.. I think that was a very generous offer by Jeremy to swap yours out with a known good one, but now you'll never know.
how is it generous when you buy something new and it doesn't work so you can get it swapped out with a used one? I wouldn't be happy with that.

vanillagorila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 09:07 PM   #33
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vanillagorila
how is it generous when you buy something new and it doesn't work so you can get it swapped out with a used one? I wouldn't be happy with that.
I have to agree! My last skimmer from a few months ago was an Octopus Extreme 300 with defective Sicce pumps. I asked for NEW pumps and they sent me two USED pumps... I WAS ****ED!!! I paid $500 for that damn P.O.S!!!

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal - Mixed Reef, 75 gal and 40 gal holding tanks. 20 gal mini reef and several fish only PICO tanks.
Unread 09/06/2009, 09:09 PM   #34
bigtex52
Old Salt

pretty darn generous when you are making public claims on the vendor forum that the 200s are POS. (his words, not mine) They could have just told him to take a hike, but they didn't, And how old would the "used" one be? Maybe 4 to 6 weeks old? Certainly not worn out.

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:13 PM   #35
bigtex52
Old Salt

Vanilla, used doesn't mean like that H&S you were trying to sell :P

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:16 PM   #36
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
Vanilla, used doesn't mean like that H&S you were trying to sell :P
Hey, don't jump on me. I believe Jeremy is doing all he can, the manufacturer should be the one replacing it. The H&S I sold was used and I sold it for $1000 off retail.

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:18 PM   #37
bigtex52
Old Salt

I sold one about the same time. I feel your pain, brotha!

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:19 PM   #38
vanillagorila
It stings the nostrils

Quote:
I sold one about the same time. I feel your pain, brotha!
yeah, I know. yours was in great shape. they are great skimmers, just everyone is on the cone craze now.

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:20 PM   #39
subman719
Registered Member

I think I'm still holding some hostility from my Octopus experience... Sorry

I do have much more hope for the 170 though because it IS the best quality skimmer and pump I've had yet!

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:20 PM   #40
pvaz_wrx
Registered Member

Hi,
Just to share my experience with my 3 weeks old Alpha 200 in a 3 weeks old system. The system is 115 gallons total and a very low bioload. It is running at 9.5" with the gray nozzle and wedge pipe 85% closed. I am very happy with the performance so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDpLkAIu-g

BTW my first post in RC

Pedro

pvaz_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2009, 09:23 PM   #41
bigtex52
Old Salt

The way I see it, we are the beta test of these things. They WILL get the kinks worked out and when they do, I expect to see them fetch prices more in line with the RE products. Klaus, ProLine and Premium will take care of us as they refine the product, or at least I believe that.

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:23 PM   #42
bigtex52
Old Salt

Looks good, Pedro!

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:25 PM   #43
subman719
Registered Member

Wow.... looks good Pedro!!!

WELCOME to the dark side!!!

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:27 PM   #44
subman719
Registered Member

Quote:
The way I see it, we are the beta test of these things. They WILL get the kinks worked out and when they do, I expect to see them fetch prices more in line with the RE products. Klaus, ProLine and Premium will take care of us as they refine the product, or at least I believe that.
Don't BETA testers get them for FREEEEE??? I'm Beta testing MS Windows 7 and I got it for FREEEEE from MS!

Unread 09/06/2009, 09:32 PM   #45
eran
Registered Member

subman719- "I know it's a "Vertex" but when I read the product description, I felt confident that it was the best, being built by Royal."

I hear ya. That is why I bought the 300. I just can't wait to get it hooked up to my system. I just see it sitting there all lonely.

265gal starfire, 90 gal. sump, 70gal. frag tank, 40gal. QT tank, Vertex Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer, calcium and kalk reactors, 5- tunze 6105's, 7069 controller, Apex, 3-400watt radiums w/galaxy ballasts in lumenbright larges, 2 super actinic VHO's

Current Tank Info: 265gal starfire, 90 gal. sump, 70gal. frag tank, 40gal. QT tank, Alpha 300 Cone Skimmer, Geo 618 calcium and kalk reactors, 5- tunze 6105's, 7069 controller, Apex, 3-400watt radiums w/galaxy ballasts in lumenbright larges, 2 super actinic VHO's
Unread 09/07/2009, 06:36 AM   #46
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

Subman I have beta tested things in the past and I knew I was a beta tester and things used to come at a reduced cost. However with skimmer's that never seems to be the case everyone gets excited talks the skimmer up even before they have it getting there expectations (really to high). So now that Jearmy is giving you your money back maybe you should just get somthing that's been around for awhile with good review's(good luck ) and I wish you the best.

Current Tank Info: Wish I had one building a house
Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2009, 08:41 AM   #47
robthorn
Registered Member

Hey guys please reread my post where I typed POS. The way I read it is I am not saying the skimmer is a POS. Maybe some of you are hostile towards me because you think I said it's a POS and I said the opposite.
Don't we all know the way ups and fedex treat packages? Don't they seem to do there best to destroy packages? I didn't refuse jeremy's skimmer I just feel uncomfortable shipping a piece of acrylic so many times and taking my chances that the shipping company doesn't break the skimmer. It is packaged pretty well but not like a euro reef where it seems you could throw it off a very tall building and it would be fine. I also don;t recall jeremy saying I would be keeping his skimmer. IT was just a test type thing and I would ship it back and he would test mine and maybe it would work on his system. What would I do if it worked on his system? HAve him send back a skimmer that just sits there? In my system at least. To me Jeremy has done all he can. I have no hard feelings towards him or premium aquatics. I am actually greatful he is taking it back. He could have stuck me with it.
Are some of us kidding ourselves thinking RE is actually building these skimmers? Aren't the manufactured in china? At least that is what I was told. I could have been told wrong. This was another factor in deciding to just say forget it. Seems the description was somewhat misleading. I tried for a long time to figure out how I can keep this thing.

robthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2009, 08:53 AM   #48
robthorn
Registered Member

Henery the stop thinking thing is not so much of a personal dig as you are "thinking". We are all guilty of overanalysing and thinking too much. sometimes we need to step back and look and learn instead of overthinking. You didn't rad the thread so you jumped in and started thinking. What I mean is you should have read the thread and learned what was going on then you might not have made your comment. Take it for what it is.

Unread 09/07/2009, 09:43 AM   #49
bigtex52
Old Salt

Look, it's apparent that you're just not ever going to be happy with the skimmer or the situation, so just ship it back and let it go. Nobody is asking you to justify yourself or your actions, so just let it go.

Unread 09/07/2009, 09:53 AM   #50
robthorn
Registered Member

Actually I am perfectly happy with the situation. I have a really good skimmer coming.