Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/14/2012, 04:54 AM   #2451
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf2h View Post
Current Equipment: 49gal tall tank, 65 gal coralife super skimmer, 50gal rated magnum canister filter, 55 gal Rena filter converted to fuge w/ chaeto and 5 red mangroves , Hydor koralia 2 (x2) powerheads , maxijet 400 powerhead, Coralife Power compact 10,000 k & actinic. Marina 1.14w LED for Fuge.
Cycling for two weeks w/ small nitrate spike (20 ppm).

Intended Equipment: one more powermover 3000 l/h? (to blow directly on gorgonian)

Animals in the mail: reef cleaner package 10 dwaft blue leg hermits, 5 nassarius snails, 5 nerith snails. First seeding of amiphipods and copapods.

Intended Fish:
Pair Black & White Occys
Orange Spot Prawn Goby
Tail Spot Blenny
Cherub Angel

fish list sounds fine

Intended Inverts:
Halloween Hermits 3?
Electric Blue Hermit 3?
Scarlet Hermits 3?
"Little Red" fromia starfish 1

I am not a fan of hermit crabs or crabs of any sort.

Intended Corals: Birdsnest, Blastomussa merletti, Whisker coral, Scroll coral, Frogspawn, Nepthia Leather, star polyp, Photosynthetic Frilly Purple Gorgonian (Live Aquaria), zoas, Mushroom Leather & Button polyps, Blue & Superman mushroom polyps ......and maybe one day Black & Yellow Sun polyps & a Chili coral.

This thread is about fish compatibility so I do not comment on corals

Plan on letting tank continue cycling for another 2-3 months with cleaner pack only while building our liverock structure with epoxy and seeding different pods every 2 weeks till nitrate is 0 and pods are well established.

Does this list sound good?

Should we add fish or corals first?
Good plan, fish or corals can be first or mixed

Unread 05/14/2012, 09:14 AM   #2452
shiogama
Registered Member

tank 180 LR filtration with a large sump w/ chaeto skimmer. 9 fish, 5 gbta, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp fire shrimp and a Harlequin shrimp lots of zoa/palys and some sps
a friend offered to give me a small Niger Triggerfish for free should should I take it? its still small about 3 inches. it feeds from your hand.

Last edited by shiogama; 05/14/2012 at 09:37 AM.
Unread 05/14/2012, 09:51 AM   #2453
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiogama View Post
tank 180 LR filtration with a large sump w/ chaeto skimmer. 9 fish, 5 gbta, coral banded shrimp, peppermint shrimp fire shrimp and a Harlequin shrimp lots of zoa/palys and some sps
a friend offered to give me a small Niger Triggerfish for free should should I take it? its still small about 3 inches. it feeds from your hand.
Niger triggers can go either way: passive (at least for triggers but most call all triggers aggressive) or total terrors. In any case, your inverts will be toast. Triggers are really for FOWLR with aggressive tank mates.

Unread 05/14/2012, 10:04 AM   #2454
GhostRider58
Registered Member

I have a 40B that's been up and running for 6 months. More details in my sig. I have a few corals (2 zooa frags, small colt coral, 2 small leather corals, GSP rock, small patch of anthelia's and a few mushrooms). I have a full spectrum of snails and a fairly well populated 2" sandbed (purchased spaghetti worms, amphopods, and bristle worms). Right now the sand and rocks are crawling with pods. Anyway, it's time to get a couple of fish. (My wife wants to know when I am finally going to put fish in the fish tank, go figure!)

I was thinking about:
A couple of clownfish? Which species is the least aggressive and will be ok in a 40 gal tank? I think I remember reading somewhere that it is best to get two. Is that correct?

And I was thinking of a royal gramma

Would these guys get along?

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

Current Tank Info: 40B glass tank. RO/DI water only. 50lbs Carib Sea sand. 45lbs Fiji live rock. Reefbreeders Photon 32; 29g sump with 9g refugium with 4"DSB, SRO-1000INT skimmer. Carbon dosing.
Unread 05/14/2012, 10:09 AM   #2455
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider58 View Post
I have a 40B that's been up and running for 6 months. More details in my sig. I have a few corals (2 zooa frags, small colt coral, 2 small leather corals, GSP rock, small patch of anthelia's and a few mushrooms). I have a full spectrum of snails and a fairly well populated 2" sandbed (purchased spaghetti worms, amphopods, and bristle worms). Right now the sand and rocks are crawling with pods. Anyway, it's time to get a couple of fish. (My wife wants to know when I am finally going to put fish in the fish tank, go figure!)

I was thinking about:
A couple of clownfish? Which species is the least aggressive and will be ok in a 40 gal tank? I think I remember reading somewhere that it is best to get two. Is that correct?

When getting a pair, it is important to get very small ones and let them figure out who will be female. Amphiprion percula or ocellaris would be best. (I am not a big believer in "designer clowns", which are modified versions of the preceding, but those would also work)

And I was thinking of a royal gramma

Would these guys get along?

Yes

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you

Unread 05/14/2012, 10:09 AM   #2456
GhostRider58
Registered Member

Oh, by the way, my tank has suspended lights and is not covered. Are the above mentioned fish jumpers? I'd really prefer not to have to cover the tank unless absolutely necessary. Thanks again,
Tom

Current Tank Info: 40B glass tank. RO/DI water only. 50lbs Carib Sea sand. 45lbs Fiji live rock. Reefbreeders Photon 32; 29g sump with 9g refugium with 4"DSB, SRO-1000INT skimmer. Carbon dosing.
Unread 05/14/2012, 10:11 AM   #2457
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider58 View Post
Oh, by the way, my tank has suspended lights and is not covered. Are the above mentioned fish jumpers? I'd really prefer not to have to cover the tank unless absolutely necessary. Thanks again,
Tom
All fish can jump. Those above do not have a high propensity for jumping.

Unread 05/14/2012, 11:47 AM   #2458
GhostRider58
Registered Member

Thank you Snorvich, your expertise is appreciated.
Tom

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:04 PM   #2459
jaf2h
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Good plan, fish or corals can be first or mixed
Thank you so much for your time, it is so nice to get a veterans advice....we know a little but it's hard know for sure because every book, article and thread has different opinions.

Sorry for the coral faux pas....oops

I will post that elsewhere and pay closer attention next time...

Last edited by jaf2h; 05/14/2012 at 01:21 PM.
Unread 05/14/2012, 01:19 PM   #2460
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Thank you so much for your time....we know a little but it's hard know for sure because every book, article and thread has different opinions.

Sorry for the coral faux pas....oops

I will post that elsewhere and pay closer attention next time...
Oh it was not a faux pas at all. I simply limit the thread to very fish related questions. Yes, there are a wealth of opinions around, some more valid than others. In general, be wary of "I heard that . . . " or "I read that . . ." because the context is not given and it can make all the difference in the world.

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:22 PM   #2461
jaf2h
Registered Member

Is there a reason you don't like Hermits? I ask because sites like Live Aquaria would have folks believe that they are essential to keeping detritus levels down and should be kept in fairly large numbers to do so? I like them ok but can be persuaded otherwise if what I've read is untrue.

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:25 PM   #2462
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Is there a reason you don't like Hermits? I ask because sites like Live Aquaria would have folks believe that they are essential to keeping detritus levels down and should be kept in fairly large numbers to do so? I like them ok but can be persuaded otherwise if what I've read is untrue.
I prefer snails of various kinds. Hermits are opportunistic and kill snails for their shells. There are many animals that will reduce detritus, look at the various snails that Live Aquaria sells for descriptions.

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:48 PM   #2463
CoryD
Registered Member

Heres what I have, Blue damsel, neon damsel, green chromis, six line wrasse, bi-colored dottyback, pucula clown, diamond goby, peppermint shrimp, a few hermits and snails.

i have a few softies. kenya tree, various shrooms, star polyps and zoas.

I would like to get a yellow tang and flame angel as my last fishes. What are your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Cory

Unread 05/14/2012, 01:48 PM   #2464
shiogama
Registered Member

Thanks snorvich for the info

Unread 05/14/2012, 03:15 PM   #2465
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiogama View Post
Thanks snorvich for the info
You have a lot of very aggressive fish so the flame angel will be problematic. We recommend a yellow tang be kept in a 100 gallon tank as a minimum.

Unread 05/14/2012, 03:22 PM   #2466
darkart82
Registered Member

GLAUCUS ATLANTICUS. not sure where to post this maybe here? I want one bad.I like odd creatures.

Unread 05/14/2012, 03:30 PM   #2467
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkart82 View Post
GLAUCUS ATLANTICUS. not sure where to post this maybe here? I want one bad.I like odd creatures.
Unfortunately Glaucus atlanticus and its close relative, Glaucilla marginata, live in close association with the siphonophores such as Physalia, Velella, Porpita and the other associated animals including the "Violet snails" of the genus Janthina. All these animals float on the surface of the ocean being carried by the currents and the winds. Most of us are only aware of their existence when days of onshore winds blow great fleets of them on to the beaches, causing pain and angst for swimmers. They are venomous and will not be successfully kept in home aquaria. For additional information, post in Reef Discussion or Invertebrates. This thread is about fish and I will not be providing additional information here.

Unread 05/14/2012, 08:48 PM   #2468
laxb0rder
Registered Member

Hi, im looking to set up my new tank 20 gallons to start and i may switch to a bigger tank in about a year when i have more room I already have a bigger tank but since im in college still gotta make due with the space i have. so my plan this far after some research is and most likely in this order:
Clean Up Crew not sure for this yet
(2) Blue Chromis or Green Chromis would rather blue
(2) Ocellaris Clowns
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby with a Shrimp for it to pair with Pistol Shrimp i dont know if anything else would work (what i would rather is a fire shrimp but i dont know if they will pair) (would it be possible to have 2 shrimp)
(1)Royal Gramma or Red Tail Fire Fish

I dont know if this will be too much and it probably is but this is my idea if i need a bigger tank i will stop at whatever point that is and not continue until i have my bigger tank up but until then i would like to know how well these fish will work together.

Forgot to add: i will have 20lbs or live rock a 425gph power head and a 200gph aquaclear filter no protein skimmer yet

Last edited by laxb0rder; 05/14/2012 at 09:17 PM.
Unread 05/14/2012, 09:04 PM   #2469
mgrmax
Registered Member

Hello,

I have a 55 with 50+ lbs of live rock, hammer coral, wet dry sump with protein skimmer and a couple power heads. The water parameters are in good shape.

I have 2 clowns and am thinking about buying a watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo. I am ordering them from Live Aqueria and want to add another fish to the order since I am paying the overnight shipping.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive colorful fish that would get along with what I have?

I appreciate the time, thanks!

Unread 05/15/2012, 04:45 AM   #2470
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxb0rder View Post
Hi, im looking to set up my new tank 20 gallons to start and i may switch to a bigger tank in about a year when i have more room I already have a bigger tank but since im in college still gotta make due with the space i have. so my plan this far after some research is and most likely in this order:
Clean Up Crew not sure for this yet
(2) Blue Chromis or Green Chromis would rather blue
(2) Ocellaris Clowns
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby with a Shrimp for it to pair with Pistol Shrimp i dont know if anything else would work (what i would rather is a fire shrimp but i dont know if they will pair) (would it be possible to have 2 shrimp)
(1)Royal Gramma or Red Tail Fire Fish

The watchman goby, pistol shrimp, and either a royal gramma or firefish would be about right. More than one shrimp would work, however.

I dont know if this will be too much and it probably is but this is my idea if i need a bigger tank i will stop at whatever point that is and not continue until i have my bigger tank up but until then i would like to know how well these fish will work together.

Forgot to add: i will have 20lbs or live rock a 425gph power head and a 200gph aquaclear filter no protein skimmer yet

Unread 05/15/2012, 04:47 AM   #2471
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrmax View Post
Hello,

I have a 55 with 50+ lbs of live rock, hammer coral, wet dry sump with protein skimmer and a couple power heads. The water parameters are in good shape.

I have 2 clowns and am thinking about buying a watchman goby and pistol shrimp combo. I am ordering them from Live Aqueria and want to add another fish to the order since I am paying the overnight shipping.

Any suggestions for an inexpensive colorful fish that would get along with what I have?

I appreciate the time, thanks!
The watchman goby and pistol shrimjp would be fine. Unfortunately I do not do recommendations for a variety of reasons. Also, depending on the species of clownfish, what may or may not work will vary.

Unread 05/15/2012, 09:01 AM   #2472
mgrmax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
The watchman goby and pistol shrimjp would be fine. Unfortunately I do not do recommendations for a variety of reasons. Also, depending on the species of clownfish, what may or may not work will vary.
Understandable and thanks!

Unread 05/15/2012, 09:18 AM   #2473
tjmoreci
Registered Member

I am currently cycling a 75 gal with hob skimmer, 70 lbs of Manado live rock and 2" substrate. Please check my stocking ideas and give me any advice on potential better matches for my tank. The setup will be fowlr, btw.

Stocking list in order
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pair of False Percula Clowns
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
Valentini Toby
Royal Gramma
Coral Beauty
Azure Damsel

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 05/15/2012, 09:43 AM   #2474
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmoreci View Post
I am currently cycling a 75 gal with hob skimmer, 70 lbs of Manado live rock and 2" substrate. Please check my stocking ideas and give me any advice on potential better matches for my tank. The setup will be fowlr, btw.

Stocking list in order
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pair of False Percula Clowns
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Lawnmower Blenny
Valentini Toby this fish will fight with conspecifics such as the filefish, large finned fish, and other tobies. It may be aggressive at times, nipping the fins of tank mates, leaving a circular hole as its mark. As such, I do not recommend this fish
Royal Gramma
Coral Beauty
Azure Damsel pretty but aggressive and I would avoid

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 05/15/2012, 10:21 AM   #2475
tjmoreci
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, Steve! If I remove the Toby and Damsel, is there anything else you would recommend with the others on my list?

Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility