Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/27/2009, 02:20 AM   #151
Mercer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMBoehling
...What I do now is whenever my skimmate reaches 1 gallon, I empty the bucket (Skimmate) and add 1 cup of Salt to my reef (Along with Calcium and Magnesium). I am using a small fish net with the ultra fine brine mesh to hold the salt. I made a little holder that holds the fish net and salt in the overflow of my reef and SLOWLY mixes the new salt into my reef over a two hour time frame...
Jim,

Perhaps just an oversight on my part but one cup of salt per one gallon of water seems to be a bit much. Seems to me it takes about 1/2 cup of salt per one US gallon, give or take depending on what specific gravity you're trying to achieve.

Quote:
Originally posted by KafudaFish
Just curious but does this method of continous changes alter the size of a skimmer on a tank? Could you put a skimmer rated at 200 galllons on a 500 gallon tank? The skimmer would still be a higher quality skimmer just smaller.
You could get away with a smaller skimmer right from the get-go without utilizing this wet skimming system. It's all about export. You will need to test your water parameters like you normally would to make sure they are in check. On a larger tank the only downside would potentially be wasting a little bit more water than you may have needed to. That's definitely not going to harm anything.

Quote:
Originally posted by JMBoehling
I still keep the Venturi intake tube in my 5 gallon skimmate bucket so the Maximum skimmate I can remove via my skimmer is 2 gallon (Just in case my bristle worm or snails decide the breed and cause the skimmer to go nuts )
[IMG]http://i27.*******.com/16az2ac.jpg[/IMG]

Just for kicks I've attached a photo of my skimmer collection jar lid. It's a bit rough — you've been warned — when the jar fills it will trip the float switch, which in turn shuts off the skimmer & ozone. It's a bit more fancy than that (SMS notification!) but you get the idea, and can take it as far as you want. Yes, there is only one float switch. A possible nightmare. I do plan to add another one eventually, but so far it's pretty fool-proof. I like your idea of putting the supply line for your venturi into the collection cup, all but the idea of putting that garbage back into the tank. Yuck.

Awesome thread by the way. Great replies. Even better topic. :-)

Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2009, 01:15 AM   #152
danreefman
Registered Member

I love this thread gave me a lot of ideas, I like the disolving of the salt through the fish net. I'll deffenantly give this method a try. thanks everybody.

danreefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2009, 04:18 PM   #153
MikeFisher1972
Registered Member

If you like the disolving of the salt through the fish net.

Try a filter sock i dont knowwhat mircon but it will keep the water cleaner some salts leave a crust when i mix them for water changes but when i use a filter sock the rubber made contaner doesnt get dirty.

Current Tank Info: 300gStarfire and a 8 foot monster
MikeFisher1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2009, 01:11 PM   #154
gcwilt1
Registered Member

is there any danger of removing too many beneficial trace elements by doing a water change in this fashion?

gcwilt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 08:54 AM   #155
EleganceMan
Registered Member

i have heard from several people that wet skimming can be bad because it removes good and bad at the same time. What good does it remove and isn't that made up with coral and fish food feedings?

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
EleganceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 09:19 AM   #156
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

is there any danger of removing too many beneficial trace elements by doing a water change in this fashion?

i have heard from several people that wet skimming can be bad because it removes good and bad at the same time. What good does it remove and isn't that made up with coral and fish food feedings?

I suppose it depends on what you consider good and what you consider bad (which varies a lot from reefer to reefer), but I don't see any substantial differences being likely, and there is certainly no demonstrated difference in what sort of trace ions are removed in wet and dry skimmate. Anyone who says otherwise is likely speculating wildly.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 09:55 AM   #157
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post

I suppose it depends on what you consider good and what you consider bad (which varies a lot from reefer to reefer), but I don't see any substantial differences being likely, and there is certainly no demonstrated difference in what sort of trace ions are removed in wet and dry skimmate. Anyone who says otherwise is likely speculating wildly.
good to hear from you again Randy, I was hoping you would see this as I'm doing wet skimmate water changes, it has had a positive impact on my water quality

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 01:27 PM   #158
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Thanks. I'm glad to hear it is working well for you.

Unread 10/09/2009, 02:51 PM   #159
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Been a while since my last update. I'm continuing to remove 1 gallon of wet skimmate a day and everything seems happy in my reef as well. I did recently change to Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean so i don't have to add Calcium and mag to my scoop of salt I add when I dumpo my skimmate bucket.

As far as trace elements are concerned, I'm confident the 1/2 cup of new salt I add every day handles that.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2009, 04:55 PM   #160
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

I did recently change to Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean so i don't have to add Calcium and mag to my scoop of salt I add when I dumpo my skimmate bucket.

IO has higher levels of magnesium now, so that may not be as necessary:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1714505

from it:
.....................................Calcium ......Alkalinity...... Magnesium
Instant Ocean (new)..........400..............11.................1350

Unread 10/09/2009, 07:05 PM   #161
jglackin
Registered Member

Quote:
I did recently change to Reef Crystals from Instant Ocean so i don't have to add Calcium and mag to my scoop of salt I add when I dumpo my skimmate bucket.

IO has higher levels of magnesium now, so that may not be as necessary:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1714505

from it:
.....................................Calcium ......Alkalinity...... Magnesium
Instant Ocean (new)..........400..............11.................1350
It's about time.

Have you ever been able to hook up with Allen LaPointe?

Jim

170 gal curved glass
ATI 48" 8x54 Powermodule
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
4 Nanostream 6055s
Tunze Wavebox
Tunze 6201
Current Tank Stats: Click on my homepage

Current Tank Info: The one most valuable thing I have learned over the years is that the less I mess with my system, the better it does.
jglackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2009, 09:12 AM   #162
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

After I saw your initial email, no, we've not connected.

Unread 10/11/2009, 09:14 PM   #163
Elliott
Registered Member

Randy, this is a question unrelated to this thread but I don't know how to reach you otherwise, so I apologize to our readers...

can LaCl be safely combined with MgCl/MgS04? I'm dosing each and considering combining them, also, can acetic acid (vinegar) be combined with either of them as well?

many thanks!

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 10/12/2009, 12:56 PM   #164
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Yes, all of those can likely be mixed OK. Lanthanum sulfate will precipitate if you make it too concentrated.

Unread 10/12/2009, 12:59 PM   #165
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, all of those can likely be mixed OK. Lanthanum sulfate will precipitate if you make it too concentrated.
thanks! could they also be mixed with a Kalk solution?

TOTM, March 2015

Unread 10/12/2009, 03:13 PM   #166
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

No, aside from vinegar, none can be mixed with limewater.

Unread 10/19/2009, 06:12 PM   #167
JMBoehling
Premium Member

Update and a slight modification

Well I recently added a Reefkeeper Light to my setup. Main reason is I wanted a way to control my PH, as it would dip a little lower than I liked at times.. Well here is what I have done and it seems to keep things nicely in check, and compliments my wet skimmate water changes.

First the setup:

(01) Aqualifter

(01) Ph Controller (Reefpkeeper Lite for me )

Here's how it works. If my PH goes below 8.19, the PH controller turns on my Aqualifter. It removes saltwater from my sump. As it removes saltwater from my sump into my 5 gallon wet skimmate bucket, my kent float valve opens, and allows Kalk to drip very slowly at the same rate my Aqualifter is set via a Micro Air Adjuster.

Here are some picture of the results (6 hour results of my PH today)

I use a aqualifter prefilter so the diaphram doesn't get clogged

Here's the collection bucket. If anything goes crazy the venturi from my skimmer will suck water back into the fuge and stop kalk from dripping . I realize this is not optimal, and there are other ways to skin this cat, but this seems to work fine for me.

Another shot of the setup..

I empty about 1 gallon of water a day and simply add makeup salt via a net hanging in my sump...

Just hoping to give some of you battling eradic PH spikes with a solution that doesn't cost an arm and a leg..

Later,

Jim

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon AGA, Bare Bottom, (02) 10" Skylights, 216 Watts T5HO, (04) 4 watt cree LED's, Deltec AP600 Skimmer

Last edited by JMBoehling; 10/19/2009 at 06:24 PM.
JMBoehling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 08:11 PM   #168
jonnybravo22
Registered Member

question! i tend to agree with the logic behind wet skimmate being dirtier water than a normal water change.

by this logic, curious to know why some people choose to do very dry skimmate? i know it looks cool, but isnt it less effective just given the longer time horizon that it takes to pull stuff out / less volume it removes? just wondering.

jonnybravo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2009, 08:25 PM   #169
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybravo22 View Post
question! i tend to agree with the logic behind wet skimmate being dirtier water than a normal water change.

by this logic, curious to know why some people choose to do very dry skimmate? i know it looks cool, but isnt it less effective just given the longer time horizon that it takes to pull stuff out / less volume it removes? just wondering.
wet and dry skimmate have different components of detrius which is why some people run two skimmers, one wet and one dry, however regarding the use of skimmate to perform water changes it is more effective to run your skimmer wet since it is being replaced with fresh seawater based on it's volume and not it's density

TOTM, March 2015

Unread 10/26/2009, 11:37 PM   #170
fishoutawater
Registered Member

I tried this weekend before last. Worked great. Changed 5 gallons in just about 12 hours. I could have gone wetter and done it faster but I wasn't in any hurry. For the next week I only skimmed out a quart of skimmate. When the weekend arrived I got setup to do another 5 gallons but,... no matter how wet I set my skimmer, I could only get about 1 gallon for the entire weekend. I checked airdraw on the skimmer and water output, everything seemed normal. I have a 40gal. breeder with about 60lbs live rock, about 50 gal total system volume, and 5 fish all under 4 inches. Could there just be nothing left to skim?

fishoutawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2009, 04:48 AM   #171
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

however regarding the use of skimmate to perform water changes it is more effective to run your skimmer wet since it is being replaced with fresh seawater based on it's volume and not it's density

Sorry, I can't understand the logic. What does that mean?

If you are not set up to do it, then replacing the salt water frequently can be a pain, and dry skimmate is more efficient in terms of organics removed per unit of salt and/or salt water.

Unread 10/27/2009, 07:43 AM   #172
Elliott
Registered Member

I meant that if you are using skimmate to do for example a 10% water change, it would be more effective to run your skimmer wet to achieve the volume necessary as opposed to running it dry which would take forever

TOTM, March 2015

Unread 10/27/2009, 11:10 AM   #173
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Agreed. I just did not understand the mention of density.

Unread 11/21/2009, 05:21 PM   #174
Gregster
Registered Member

Just a question from a newbie here.
Is it possible that at any given time there is only so much skimmable organic matter in a system at a given time and in doing this concentrated waste/water change, what your seeing is just the same amount of skimmable organic waste as normal skimming produces with the exception that it is diluted by the extra water passing thru the protein skimmer due to it being dialed up?
ie; one spoon of instant tea can taint a lot of water.
I love the concept and have considered implementing it in a future system, but I can't seem to get past my thoughts on this being a possible illusion.
Maybe re-skimming the concentrated waste water again to remove the waste under normal duty thru the same skimmer might shed some insight as to what amount is really being removed compared to an average amount (same time duration) of standard duty skimming?

Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2009, 06:51 PM   #175
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Is it possible that at any given time there is only so much skimmable organic matter in a system at a given time and in doing this concentrated waste/water change, what your seeing is just the same amount of skimmable organic waste as normal skimming produces with the exception that it is diluted by the extra water passing thru the protein skimmer due to it being dialed up?

That is certainly possible, yes. I can't see a downside, but there is little demonstrated proof (at least that I have seen) of how much more effective is wet skimming.