Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/23/2014, 09:22 AM   #1
mpderksen
Registered Member

How long to see changes after lighting adjustment?

It's hard to tell if I have the lighting set correctly. At 80%, I saw a little bleaching in the top of an SPS that was the highest in the tank. I've lowered the intensity. How long do I wait to be able to tell if I went too low, or still not enough? I read about people saying they saw growth improve after doing this or that, but is that in terms of weeks? Months? The tank is mixed, and keeping things at a level that makes everyone happy seems to be a tightrope.
I saw one post that mentioned "crazy growth", but I have no frame of reference. Is it "crazy" to see an Acro grow a 1/8" in 6 months? Lol.
I don't want to be adjusting levels daily, expecting to see changes, but if I'm off, does it take a long time to see it?
Right now, my Zoas seem to be more stretched out, so I suspect I did go too low, but again, I don't want to be over reacting and fiddling with it all the time. Do SPS really have a very narrow window of too little vs too much?

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2014, 09:27 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

A week is usually enough time to see bleaching improve or at least stop or in the opposite directon when increeasing light to start to see brown corals start to regain color. If at all possible borrow a PAR meter so you know exactly what level your light intensity is at.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2014, 09:33 AM   #3
mpderksen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
A week is usually enough time to see bleaching improve or at least stop or in the opposite directon when increeasing light to start to see brown corals start to regain color. If at all possible borrow a PAR meter so you know exactly what level your light intensity is at.
I did. The blue column is the calculated level at each coral as it sat for months. The green column is the max possible with the lights at 100%

mpderksen is offline   Reply With Quote