Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2016, 08:00 PM   #1
Saberjnl
Registered Member

PJ Reef tank, I'm Skeptical.

So I just discovered this guy who is selling a pico reef setup. But it lacks a filter, heater, powerhead? Is this a legit thing that could work? Experienced pico reefers responses please! thanks!

Here's a link to the website.

http://www.pjreefs.com/

Saberjnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 07:56 AM   #2
g_langley
Registered Member

I'm not an experienced Pico reefer, but would have thought that no circulation at all is a bad thing waiting to happen. Also, his blog hasn't been updated since January 2014.

Unread 01/07/2016, 09:02 AM   #3
toothybugs
In Memoriam

I saw something like this once, it utilized an air stone for its movement. The tiny tank grew SPS and such well though so it obviously worked. I'd hate that salt spray though - you would have to contain it somehow.

toothybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Clownfish Chris
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3lhEeOCpao

It can be done. I think I could DIY that setup for about $50.00 however. It seems very expensive for what you get.

Clownfish Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2016, 05:30 PM   #5
CStrickland
Registered Member

Yeah, $300 is insane for a jar, light, live rock, and coral frag.

I think it's common to just use an air bubbler for O2, sometimes a heating pad depending on the lights, no filter or power head. Also common to seal the container to prevent evaporation (though I guess you need a little hole to let out the bubbles from the airstone). Some pico reefers dose, some don't, some do really big water changes like 100% every couple weeks.

Brandon Mason linked above has a great reef in a jar that's been thriving for a long time. He posts around here on and off, more on the nano reef forum I think, I forget the actual name of the site.
Mary Arroyo has a beautiful jar too.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nanoreef, pico, picoreef