Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Dan_G25
Registered Member

pondering to introduction of a mantis shrimp

Howdy,

I got a 15g nano reef

in it are 1 midas blenny
1 blood shrimp
5 astrea snails
1 turbo snail
4 blue leg hermits
a bunch of random tiny snails.
1 procellain crab

Is there a mantis shrimp that could peacefuly live in this environement. I don't want to lose any livestock. I know I'm asking a lot lol. I just really like mantis shrimp but also like my other guys.

Dan_G25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2005, 03:02 PM   #2
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Not safely, they are killers and will eat anything they can kill!

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Uriel
Registered Member

While they can kill anything even remotley in their size range, they are not all indiscriminate killers.
My G. Viridis (Just under 3") has lived for months with a emerald mithrax and with 4 hermits that were initially intended for food.
He eats snails mostly (that species loves them some escargot!), though he ignores the larger ones. Te little guys get snacked, however...

My G. Platysoma (molting, though he peeked out once yesterday for an hour or so) doesn't seem all that intersted in snails, though he has eaten a few hermits...

My G. Ternatensis is the aforementioned killing machine, laying waste to anything that dares to enter her Realm.

You should not put a mantis shrimp in with anything that would upset you to lose, however...

-Ron

Uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2005, 05:48 PM   #4
Dan_G25
Registered Member

The things I'm most worried about getting "whacked" are the shrimp, the crab, the hermits, and the blenny. The snails I wouldn't want to lose but it is a sacrifice I would be willing to make.

Unread 02/13/2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

The only species that might work are small spearers such as Pseudosquilla ciliata or Raoulserenea. Even with these species, the greatest danger would be to the shrimp and possibly the blenny depending on size.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Uriel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Uriel

My G. Platysoma (molting, though he peeked out once yesterday for an hour or so) doesn't seem all that intersted in snails, though he has eaten a few hermits...

-Ron [/B]
Dr.Roy, I hope that you see this, as I didn't want to make another thread just for one question...

My Platysoma removed a few rocks from his molt-hole, lookng out for an hour or three (perhaps longer, he could have been there a bit before I entered the room...). I thought that he was finished, so I offered a small piece of shrimp, which he gingerly took insie with him.
He also whacked the stick lightly, as if testing his dactyl...
Then (after the room service was done, and no tip left, by-the-way...) he locked himself back up.

Is it normal for a Mantis to come out in mid-molt?
Just wondering.

-Ron

Unread 02/14/2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Gonodactylus
Premium Member

G. platysoma seem particularly secretive when molting. They will often close up three or four days prior to the actual molt (which takes only a few minutes at most) and remain closed for up to a couple of weeks. It takes this long for them to harden the cutlicle and restore the springs in the raptorial appendages to bring them back to full striking power. As the raptorial appendages become functional, they will open for brief periods and will even accept soft food. However, remember that they are at an extreme disadvantage when molting, come out as little as possible and try to remain hidden.

Roy

Gonodactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2005, 03:22 PM   #8
Uriel
Registered Member

Ah, so he was locking away before actually molting. uess it's the real deal now.
Darn, I am waiting for him to finish so that I can move all three mantis temp aquariums (6,6,12 gallon) and put shelving in the same space, which will house my 55 divided Mantis Hotel, a 29 , as well as either another 55 or a 72-ish. Oh well, guess I could wait a week or two...

-Ron

Unread 02/14/2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Dan_G25
Registered Member

I really like P. ciliata and would love one but the chances of one showing up in toronto are slim and if one did show up I bet it would get swooped up quick. The blenny is about 3" and the thing is he spends most of the time way on top of the rocks or in this little nook behind my powerhead. My shrimp is all over the place so I'm worried he might infringe on the mantis' territory and get killed. As it stands I'm going to see if my lfs could order one in... and if not then I won't even have to think about it anymore.