Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2016, 05:26 PM   #4476
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Giovanni,
How big was he when you got him 1.5 years ago? Mine barely grew from a little over 2 grew to 3 inches over 2 years.
I have not had him a year yet. He as grown about .25-.5 inches. I feed a ton.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 06:51 PM   #4477
danrobberg
Registered Member

Mine has been eating real well. Have had him for about two weeks and I just noticed today a few spots of ich on his fins. I already lost one regal a little while back and if I lose this one my wife will kill me. I do not have access to a quarantine setup. How worried should I be. I soak all food in Kent garlic guard. Is getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp worth it?

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 07:22 PM   #4478
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrobberg View Post
Mine has been eating real well. Have had him for about two weeks and I just noticed today a few spots of ich on his fins. I already lost one regal a little while back and if I lose this one my wife will kill me. I do not have access to a quarantine setup. How worried should I be. I soak all food in Kent garlic guard. Is getting a cleaner wrasse or shrimp worth it?

No. Cleaner shrimp/wrasse will do nothing for the fish.

Ich is survivable, and some fish do get an immunity to a certain strain... However your best course of action is to put it in a hospital tank. With a tank large enough for a regal, there really isn't any excuse for not QT'ing...

Unread 05/14/2016, 07:46 PM   #4479
danrobberg
Registered Member

I've read a lot of negative things about quarantining them, like them not eating. I have had fish in a tank for over 6 months without a single sign of ich and all of the sudden one gets picked on and the next day broken out in ich. I think whether or not you quarantine them before hand they can still get ich.

Unread 05/14/2016, 07:48 PM   #4480
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
I've read a lot of negative things about quarantining them, like them not eating. I have had fish in a tank for over 6 months without a single sign of ich and all of the sudden one gets picked on and the next day broken out in ich. I think whether or not you quarantine them before hand they can still get ich.
Please read the Fish Disease forum stickies. It is possible to have a tank without ich.

I don't believe this is the place to talk about this, please keep us updated on your fish though! I would love to see some pictures.

Unread 05/14/2016, 08:12 PM   #4481
big mamma
Registered Member

i have had my regal for a week now and has been eating lrs fish frenzy and half clams as of today. these fish are difficult if you never had one. my moorish idol has been my easiest fish i ever had when it comes eating. my regal does show some aggression towards my idol at feeding time but nothing major. how often do you guys feed clams/mussels/oysters ?

big mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 08:38 PM   #4482
danrobberg
Registered Member

I tried a fresh live oyster and he just picked at it a bit. Didn't show a lot of interest. His favorite thing to eat is spirulina brine shrimp.

Gonna look into a hospital tank tomorrow. Luckily he's by far the largest fish I have. It's him two clowns and two gobies. Hoping a 29 gallon will do.

Unread 05/14/2016, 08:44 PM   #4483
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
I tried a fresh live oyster and he just picked at it a bit. Didn't show a lot of interest. His favorite thing to eat is spirulina brine shrimp.

Gonna look into a hospital tank tomorrow. Luckily he's by far the largest fish I have. It's him two clowns and two gobies. Hoping a 29 gallon will do.

29 should be plenty. I'm QT'ing mine in a 10, although mine will be 2.5"...

Your regal will thank you for doing this

Unread 05/14/2016, 10:16 PM   #4484
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Last night I moved the dominant Philippine regal to the new 40B where the submissive has been for a week now. When I introduced him inside the trap both made submissive gestures to each other. Since I released him he has been hiding in the rocks. The good news is that there has been so far no chasing or fighting - let's see it that holds.
Both are identical in size (with a length of 80 mm), so If this will work depends solely on their personalities.
Well, it didn't go well. It seems this morning the dominant picked a fight and lost. By the time I got him out he was already pretty beaten up. The other one got some damage too, which makes me believe that he wasn't the one who started it.

Pairing these two will not work since they are pretty much equal size. To make a pair I have to look for another Philippine regal that is either below 70 mm or above 90 mm.
It will take at least a month for the fins to heal, but then I think I will have to look for a new home for him as I have no space for two blue chest regal pairs.

The little Maldives regal is already eating Mysis - just not as many as I would like him to eat since he has a bit of a pinched belly.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 11:08 PM   #4485
scuzy
Registered Member

Mine went through ttm and two rounds of formalin with ease. They are easy to quarantine if they are eating well. Mine never stopped eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 03:08 AM   #4486
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post

All fishes in display. Mirror on both ends to keep the aggression down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That regal is quite skinny. It will need a good deal of feeding to get back to its ideal weight. It may require a couple of feedings per day. My Sumatra male only started gaining weight quickly when he picked up eating pellets from the auto-feeder. That gave him a total of 5+ feedings per day (3x pellets + 2x-3x mysis) plus whatever else he found in the tank to snack on.
In that regard your tank seems to be a bit on the sterile side.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 04:16 AM   #4487
danrobberg
Registered Member

So I've read not to use copper on regals. What would be the least stressful method? Should I just do hypo or is there another medication I can use?

Unread 05/15/2016, 05:14 AM   #4488
Fin Mike
Registered Member

TTM for sure.

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Fin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 06:11 AM   #4489
OrionN
Moved on

This thread is so great. I always wanted a Regal Angel. This angle is my all time favorite. Thanks to this thread, I have had my Regal oldest for 2+ year.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 07:28 AM   #4490
OrionN
Moved on

I don't think my Yellow Chest and Blue Chest Regal will pair (...duh....)
Right now in my 320 every time they meet it is a dash and into the rock, quick turn and then everything is back to normal.
It is a large tank with lots of rock so the the smaller, fatter Blue chest is not suffer any. The torn dorsal fin healed. There is no wound on the Blue Chest Regal. Eventually, if I get by Baby Regal to live, I will try to trap and remove the Blue Chest to another tank, and try to pair her up with another Blue Chest. I will try for a Yellow Chest pair in the DT.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/15/2016, 12:07 PM   #4491
OrionN
Moved on

It is raining, I cannot go outside on this Sunday so I have a little time. I took out my SLR camera. These are a few of the picture I took today:

Blue Chest Regal

Unread 05/15/2016, 12:09 PM   #4492
OrionN
Moved on

Yellow Chested Regal

Unread 05/15/2016, 12:26 PM   #4493
m0nkie
Registered Member

so I find my Regal pecking on the rocks all day. Is it eating the sponge? or the hair algae? or pods?

Unread 05/15/2016, 01:19 PM   #4494
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
so I find my Regal pecking on the rocks all day. Is it eating the sponge? or the hair algae? or pods?
Probably all of the above

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Fin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:15 PM   #4495
big mamma
Registered Member

i am on day 8 with my first ever regal. it is a 5 to 6 inch maldives that came from liveaquaria. i have been able to get it to eat lrs fish frenzy, clams and as of today red seaweed from a clip. it gets along with my moorish idol except at feeding. the regal will chase my idol away from the food. i will have to see how that works out. i did not qt this fish or my idol due to the delicate nature of these fish. i know some day my luck will run out. here is a bad pic of the two. hard to get the idol to stay still for pics. does not help having a bad camera either.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7027.jpg (52.8 KB, 33 views)
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:21 PM   #4496
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mamma View Post
i am on day 8 with my first ever regal. it is a 5 to 6 inch maldives that came from liveaquaria. i have been able to get it to eat lrs fish frenzy, clams and as of today red seaweed from a clip. it gets along with my moorish idol except at feeding. the regal will chase my idol away from the food. i will have to see how that works out. i did not qt this fish or my idol due to the delicate nature of these fish. i know some day my luck will run out. here is a bad pic of the two. hard to get the idol to stay still for pics. does not help having a bad camera either.
Very nice!

Great that he eats Fish Frenzy.

He didn't go for the live fresh oyster or mussel?

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 02:31 PM   #4497
big mamma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
Very nice!

Great that he eats Fish Frenzy.

He didn't go for the live fresh oyster or mussel?
i have to admit i am a bad shopper. my wife does all the shopping and i am afraid to ask for them. i am going to try them. thanks for the comments and help.

Unread 05/15/2016, 02:36 PM   #4498
Salty150
Registered Member

Quote:
i have to admit i am a bad shopper. my wife does all the shopping and i am afraid to ask for them. i am going to try them. thanks for the comments and help.
Oh, OK, that's no problem.

If he is already eating Fish Frenzy - then you don't need the oysters/mussels.

I just thought he didn't eat them - which would be a first that I have ever heard of...

Salty150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2016, 03:18 PM   #4499
big mamma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty150 View Post
Oh, OK, that's no problem.

If he is already eating Fish Frenzy - then you don't need the oysters/mussels.

I just thought he didn't eat them - which would be a first that I have ever heard of...
its funny watching it eat out of the water column. it does not seem to know how to. it is getting better at it. i know they like to pick at things. i am surprised it does not eat the angel formula when it lays on the bottom. it will chase the idol away from it and eat the small pieces that are floating in the water. i will try oysters/mussels at some point to see how it response to it.

Unread 05/15/2016, 03:46 PM   #4500
Giovanni
AKA Flippa

Quote:
its funny watching it eat out of the water column. it does not seem to know how to. it is getting better at it. i know they like to pick at things. i am surprised it does not eat the angel formula when it lays on the bottom. it will chase the idol away from it and eat the small pieces that are floating in the water. i will try oysters/mussels at some point to see how it response to it.
Yea they seem to try to tear the food from the water column. Slows their feeding way down. Mine has almost stopped doing that after 9 months and seems to get more food per feeding.

Most of My Money I Spent On Whiskey, Women and Reefing, The Rest I Just Waisted!

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote