Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2018, 12:10 AM   #26
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
If the TDS meter is okay, then I suspect the issue is the salt product, although the tank might be on the borderline as far as fixed nitrogen in the water column. All salt mixes will contain some ammonia, and thus add a bit of algae fertilizer. If it's easy to do, I might try getting a second opinion on the TDS meter, and then I'd check some freshly-mixed saltwater for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate.
I'm waiting for my buddy to come by and we're going to test it thoroughly and I'll implement whatever is necessary to alleviate the issue. I'll post back with results within the week. It's just such a shame all the time and money spent on these tanks of ours and having them look all brown and nasty is depressing, lol. But it what it is and there's always a solution. I tried going without a tank for a couple years and missed it terribly. Now my entire basement is a fish room and I have 4 tanks plumbed through my house. Hmmm!

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 08:21 AM   #27
shellsea
Registered Member

Not to be an alarmist but I have dinoflagellate problem. Mild and seems to be kept in check but whenever I do a water change it invigorates them for several days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 12/16/2018, 08:38 AM   #28
incloud
Registered Member

My buddy came by this morning and his specialty is drinking water. He says he has no idea what to test for in reef tank water. He suggested I get 5 gallon jugs of spring water and see if I still have the problem. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to solve my water problem. My system is outstanding otherwise and I hate seeing it all brown. It's almost time to do another water change and I'm holding off because it looks good again.

Unread 12/16/2018, 03:57 PM   #29
bertoni
RC Mod

RO/DI water is more appropriate than spring water. I suspect the problem lies elsewhere. It's possible that the filter is in bad shape. You could try distilled water for a change or two, if you don't mind the cost. With some luck, that should be clean.

Unread 12/17/2018, 01:09 PM   #30
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yes a water change with store bought distilled water would be interesting to see if you get the same output..

Unread 12/17/2018, 09:57 PM   #31
incloud
Registered Member

Today I swapped out all my RODI media, vacuumed my sand beds in both tanks, plus the sump and replaced one section (first) of my 2 stage that I use for carbon with a 1 micron sediment filter. Cleaned up my skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 9) as it was kind of funky and made sure my sock was clean by soaking in vinegar. I've left the lights off yesterday and today and am going to reduce my light cycle after tomorrow to 6 hours and see what response I have. I'm determined to get this straight and enjoy my system. Thanks so much to all of you for the input!

Bobby C.
incloud

Unread 12/17/2018, 10:12 PM   #32
bertoni
RC Mod

Good luck! Please keep us posted!

Unread 12/17/2018, 10:34 PM   #33
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post