Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/22/2018, 06:12 PM   #1
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Can my pump work with my RODI setup?

Alright so I've got a 75g reef tank on the second floor of my house. I am trying to install a water change/RODI system, but the basement is too far down and the attic is too risky to have lots of water up there.

I might have to do it in a closet, more than 30 feet away from the tank. The water line from the water storage tank would have to go 10ft up into the attic and 30 feet over, then down through a wall and into the fish tank.

I have a Lifegard aquatics Quiet One 3000 pump (750gph at 0ft head height), and want to find out if it will be able to get water over to the tank, and if so how much?

Thanks if you have the math skills to figure this one out.....

Last edited by HarrisonMG; 10/22/2018 at 06:23 PM.
HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 06:22 PM   #2
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Forgot to add, the head height stated on the product website is 10.3 feet.

Last edited by HarrisonMG; 10/22/2018 at 06:30 PM.
Unread 10/22/2018, 07:11 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

That is not a suitable pump for this application...
At best you may get a small trickle...

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:35 PM   #4
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Very strange in the email text version of your reply the "not" is missing so it made no sense!

Anyways thanks for replying

I found a calculator online from Pentair that gives the total dynamic head height...if I use 1" pipe and 4 elbows, not including valves, then it would equate to 6 feet of head height. I honestly have no idea if this would work in real life, after all it's just a calculator. Hmmmm might have to wait til it's done and hope I don't need an expensive pump.

Unread 10/22/2018, 08:17 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I forgot the not and edited it back in seconds after posting

Unread 10/24/2018, 12:00 AM   #6
tkeracer619
Registered Member

What are you trying to accomplish? Could you please be more specific and lay it out for us?

Is this for ATO?

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 09:02 AM   #7
azsoccerpop
Registered Member

You would be best finding a good external pump that is pressure rated like a blue line or panworld or reef flow. Check here or craiglist or LFS for used ones. They are usually built like a tank and will hold up to the load you are putting on it at 10 ft. up and that is where you should start your calculator. Whatever pipe calculations you are doing you are still going up 10 ft so you need to add 10. FYI my water change/Rodi station is 60 feet away from my tank and I pull 1/2" vinyl hose to the sump when I fill back up after 30 gallon water change. I have 1/2 ball valve on the end so I can control the flow. I am running a blue line rated at 540 Gph and i can usually do a water change in less than 30 minutes which includes lugging 5 gallon buckets to the toilet.

Last edited by azsoccerpop; 10/24/2018 at 09:08 AM.
azsoccerpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2018, 09:31 AM   #8
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Ok thanks.

Going under the floor means ripping up the ceiling (or hardwood floor and carpet) to get the pipes in, whereas in the attic I would only need to drill a couple of holes for the pipe to go up and then back down again.

Unread 10/25/2018, 06:47 AM   #9
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Could you please be more specific and lay it out for us?

Is this for ATO?
As I said above it is a water change RODI station. So I'm purifying my water and mixing it with the salt in large containers and then pumping it into my tank when I do a water change.

The only way this would help with ATO is if I ran a line off the rodi along with the salt water line to the tank into the ATO container.

Right now what I do is fill buckets up from the bath faucet and pour them into a big bin on wheels. Then I mix the salt in and move it to the tank in my room and pump it in. If I have to get a big costly pump unfortunately I will have to continue this practice but instead of using the bathroom faucet I would pump the water into the bin from the RoDi container while it is right next to it, then bring the bin into my room and pump it in the tank.