Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2016, 09:15 AM   #1
skrtcsr
Registered Member

Question Neptune Shutting Off Vectra W/Built In Float Switch Input

Hopping I can get a little help:

I've read through the forums and even contacted ETM and Neptune but they both suggested I reach out to this awesome community for help. I want to "power off" the Vectra using my Apex with the Vectra Accessory Port. Please Help.

I am running a Neptune Apex and bought the ETM Vectra M1 as my primary return pump I also have that plugged into an ETM Battery Backup (which is where the problem of just killing the power to it starts). I know you can't "control" the ETM due to them being selfish with their code change etc. But I did notice that there is an input plug on the bottom of the Vectra Controller labeled "Accessory Port". I talked to ETM Support and he said that is a "Normally Open" port that when closed will turn off the Pump, essentially they will eventually come out with a float switch to shut off the pump in case of disaster.

So in thinking and knowing how smart this group is I have to think there is a way to use my Neptune so that when the "ALD" senses water on the floor that it can trigger something to close that switch and shut off the Vectra. Any ideas/diagrams/help would be much appreciated. My first choice would be to not tie up one of the EC8 outlets but if that is the only way its a good 2nd choice.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef

Last edited by skrtcsr; 01/25/2016 at 09:34 AM.
skrtcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I'm not familiar with Apex controllers but is there a way that when the ALD senses water it can be tied to a EB8 post to trigger it to shut off, kind of like your heaters work in conjunction with your temp probe?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 09:33 AM   #3
skrtcsr
Registered Member

Yes you can certainly do that, but I am also running the ETM Battery Backup (Forgot to mention that, I'll edit my post) so if you just shut off the plug it will kick in the BB which will keep spilling water on the ground.

Sorry I forgot to mention that before.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef
skrtcsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, dyi, neptune, power, vectra