Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2016, 11:26 AM   #1
skrtcsr
Registered Member

Neptune Shutting Off Vectra W/Built In Float Switch Input

Hopping I can get a little help:

I've read through the forums and even contacted ETM and Neptune but they both suggested I reach out to this awesome community for help. I want to "power off" the Vectra using my Apex with the Vectra Accessory Port. Please Help.

I am running a Neptune Apex and bought the ETM Vectra M1 as my primary return pump I also have that plugged into an ETM Battery Backup (which is where the problem of just killing the power to it starts). I know you can't "control" the ETM due to them being selfish with their code change etc. But I did notice that there is an input plug on the bottom of the Vectra Controller labeled "Accessory Port". I talked to ETM Support and he said that is a "Normally Open" port that when closed will turn off the Pump, essentially they will eventually come out with a float switch to shut off the pump in case of disaster.

So in thinking and knowing how smart this group is I have to think there is a way to use my Neptune so that when the "ALD" senses water on the floor that it can trigger something to close that switch and shut off the Vectra. Any ideas/diagrams/help would be much appreciated. My first choice would be to not tie up one of the EC8 outlets but if that is the only way its a good 2nd choice.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef
skrtcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2016, 11:49 AM   #2
oldimpala
Registered Member

EcoTech hasn't released the language to Neptune, essentially.

Per ETM, they refuse to comment (either way) if they will. Good luck, is essentially what I've been told. Playing with that port, without engineering docs, might be risky. Do so at your own risk.

oldimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 12:55 PM   #3
BIGD0G
Registered Member

It should be very easy to do what you want with a relay however it would require an outlet on the EB8 to control the state. I bought a 110v one on Amazon recently that could be used as either normally open or closed. I have prime so the total cost with shipping was less than 10.00 for the relay and base that makes it to attach the wires. The idea is when the relay has 110v power from the EB8 outlet it is in the open state, then when the power is off it closes.

This would work well in your case and if a leak is detected you could shutoff the outlet on the EB8 which would close the relay and turn off the pump.

Prior to ordering the relay I would test the accessory port to make sure it is enabled and functions as described. You could do that by making a simple closed loop plug. You would just need a plug and a short wire that connects to both sides of the plug. If you plug it in and the pump shuts off then you are good to go and the relay will work for you.

hope this helps.

Current Tank Info: 180g
BIGD0G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, neptune, switch, vectra