Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/31/2015, 12:37 PM   #26
jsbull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelli View Post
I only access it via mobile so I didn't notice a difference - what changed?
There is also apparently no longer a "Configuration tab".

jsbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2015, 12:44 PM   #27
Coelli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbull View Post
There is also apparently no longer a "Configuration tab".
Cool, thanks for the answers. And glad you got your issues sorted out, jsbull - I know it was frustrating but I promise you, after you've used your Apex for a while you'll be glad you didn't return it!

65g mixed reef, 30g display fuge, 20L sump/pod fuge, ATI 4x24 + 2 Kessil A360NEs, Aquamaxx EM100, Gyre 130
Coelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 04:53 AM   #28
tg1966
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbull View Post
I will give Neptune credit for a super fast response and a very solid solution.

Paul emailed me first thing this morning and spent an hour and a half working through my issues. There were several that that didn't go as he thought they would, but he quickly found a way to resolve all of them.

After seeing him go through it, I'm not surprised I had so many issues. There were a ton of things that you just needed to have done before or know the ins and outs of.

Some of my solutions:

He mentioned that their website and system relaunch was only in the last couple of weeks. They have some cleaning up to do of old guides and terminology, so I will accept that as a good reason. It does take time to transition sites and there are always some bugs to work out.

The networking issue was being caused by a bad gateway setting within the Apex. I'll take blame for that one.

He explained that they will update the instructions for the pH calibration. He said you don't need to use RODI water, but you do need to give them time to settle and it's not explained well enough.

He offered to send me some salinity control solution at no cost, which is a nice gesture.

The Radion issue was that my Radions didn't need updated. The guide I read didn't mention that Radions manufactured after 10/14 wouldn't need updated. The updated guide does state that. They then wouldn't sync, so we did a factory reset. Still no response, but he was able to get them to respond from his side. So, that was a welcome fix. He even took the time to copy my previous program over.

He said that he hopes that EcoTech will work with them on the Vectra. I hope so as well, as I'll likely sell it on eBay if they don't. It's a very nice return pump and I don't look forward to losing money on the resell.

He helped explain how to set up feeding timers.

He then helped me set up my Gyre interface from IceCap. This was going above and beyond in my mind because that would have been a massive effort if I had done it, and it's not even an Neptune product.

So, in the end, I very much appreciate the service and effort from Paul and Neptune. I really think they should offer this set-up service as an add-on or for Gold system buyers. It would be worth a lot of money to avoid the initial challenges that *can* present themselves.

That is outstanding customer service from Apex!

tg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 09:49 AM   #29
billbunton
Registered Member

I recently dismantled my African Cichlid tank, and started setting up another SW tank. I figured I'd use the Apex Jr. off the Cichlid tank in the new SW tank until I got an expansion box and probes for the Profilux on my 260.

First thing I tried to do was update the firmware. That was also the last thing. Now the only thing the Apex Jr. will do is flash the status LED at me. I put a temp controller on the heater for the new tank, moved a powerbar over to it, and am running it off the Profilux now. I'm afraid to even try updating the firmware on the Apex my wife is using on her tank.

billbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 10:33 AM   #30
Neilmu
Registered Member

Apex & Vectra

maybe this is a stupid question but can you still use the Vectra M1 independent of the Apex?

Neilmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 10:43 AM   #31
jimbow
Registered Member

Neilmu,

I have a Vectra L1 I am using on my set up. It is plugged into the Apex so I can turn it on and off from the Apex but I used the Reeflink to program it and set it up. It is kinda round about but I had the reef link for my lights anyhow. My LFS told me the Reeflink was a much easier way to run the lights.

Having said that, I an new and don't even have fish in the tank yet. I am hoping I can shut the pump down during feeding without issues. I can't see why it will not work.

jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 10:47 AM   #32
jimbow
Registered Member

JSbull,

I had a hard time when I started out with mine. Finally someone steered me to the "native interface". Once there I used the configuration tab and fixed all my problems. It confounds me why the "fusion" interface does not allow you to configure things or tell it to update firmware. Or if it does I can't find it.

Unread 01/01/2016, 11:01 AM   #33
Neilmu
Registered Member

I'm upgrading from a 72g to a 180g. hope to have the tank in the couple couple of weeks. My previous 72 which I sold off 2+ years ago was running for 12+ years but all my equipment was run independent. I had no controllers except for the heater. For my 180 I went and bought 3 radions Xr30's, 2 MP40's, the ventra L1 and the apex lab grade. I'm no IT/computer expert and after reading this thread I'm super nervous about setting it up. Im up for the challenge but what are the best sites, forums etc to review when I do encounter problems and is the ReefLink a must have piece of equipment?

Last edited by Neilmu; 01/01/2016 at 11:21 AM.
Unread 01/01/2016, 12:06 PM   #34
jimbow
Registered Member

Neilmu,

Someone else would be better to answer you I think. There is a way to run the Radions and MP40's from the Apex (I have not done it). If you only run the Vectra on one speed (or manually vary it) you don't NEED the reeflink. I was just told the interface was easier and I found one used for $50.00. Based on the cost of all the other stuff $50.00 was an easy decision. Also I think you need a wireless module to add to the Apex (if you want to control the lights and powerheads) and it cost at least as much as the Reeflink.

Unread 01/01/2016, 01:32 PM   #35
Neilmu
Registered Member

yes I ordered the WXM module with the apex

Unread 01/01/2016, 02:00 PM   #36
homer1475
Registered Member

Interesting as my Apex came with PH calibration fluid.

Not that I'm on Apex's website ever, but I didn't notice any difference in the fusion webpage either?

Only thing I noticed after a firmware upgrade was that with my LED's, you no longer have to use the light programming curves, then switch over to basic mode to enter your own code for feed modes and such. It all opens from the programming screen.

There has never been a "configuration" tab in fusion(least for me and I've had it nearly 7 months now). That has always had to been accessed via the web front end. Took me almost 3 weeks before I actually read the manual and found the front end from my local IP addy.

The WXM module is what you need for the radions and mp40's. They work pretty easily(plug and play), and the setup for them in fusion is super simple.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 09:20 PM   #37
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilmu View Post
I'm upgrading from a 72g to a 180g. hope to have the tank in the couple couple of weeks. My previous 72 which I sold off 2+ years ago was running for 12+ years but all my equipment was run independent. I had no controllers except for the heater. For my 180 I went and bought 3 radions Xr30's, 2 MP40's, the ventra L1 and the apex lab grade. I'm no IT/computer expert and after reading this thread I'm super nervous about setting it up. Im up for the challenge but what are the best sites, forums etc to review when I do encounter problems and is the ReefLink a must have piece of equipment?
I found the forums on the Apex site pretty helpful.

-Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2016, 09:23 PM   #38
E46er
Registered Member

I had to get my electrical engineer and website software design guy to hook it up. I was in the same boat as you. Esp when he was saying how dinosaur age everything it uses is.
But now that it's up and running im happy with it.

180G LED see thru
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 08:26 PM   #39
KMS.Kyle
Registered Member

E-mail their support and they will setup a SCREEN SHARE meeting with you where one of the techs will actually control your computer while its connected and TEACH YOU everything you need to know in 10 minutes.

I went through far worse of a nightmare than you and I TRIED to return mine only to be told that because I opened it - they wouldn't take it - I was told to call neptune.

So I did and they were amazing at helping me learn to use it RIGHT in front of me from my own home.

PS - The gaming adapter - Every time you unplug it and plug it into the apex - SETUP > NET SETUP > RESTART!!!!!!! It will fix the entire issue you're having there.

Melanarus Wrasse, Sleeper Goby, Firefin Goby, Pajama Cardinal, Coral Beauty Angel, Coral Hogfish, Pair Clowns, Urchin, CB/Fire Shrimp, 6 Chromis, Clown Goby, 2 Skunk Shrim
KMS.Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2016, 02:11 PM   #40
Neilmu
Registered Member

sounds like a call to Neptune is in my cards when I'm ready to set up.

Unread 02/19/2016, 07:17 PM   #41
regulator26fs
Registered Member

I promise you it will only get worse, and if you aren't a computer programmer you better learn some patience. They will go out of their way to have you troubleshoot it for days before they decide to contact you for phone support, and hopefully you have a job that you can work for your home cause you gonna be there often if you want it to work right or give up.
Now you own their controller they gotcha.. Hopefully you don't do like me run out and buy every new product they introduce because you will have the same issues and regrets with every one. Their favorite excuse was that my slow internet (ATT/ DSL) causing the problems. I spent almost 5,000 to my local internet provider to bring fiber to my home and nothing has changed. Most recently my 6 WAV power heads operate but don't follow the programming. I didn't notice that was happening until colonies of SPS Started bleaching.

regulator26fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 07:36 PM   #42
gone fishin
Registered Member

Had my temp probe (finger) in the tank the other day it sent an email to my controller(brain) this seems a bit cool. I forgot to plug my heater back in.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 08:14 PM   #43
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

Trust me, I'm not knocking a controller for my system. I have never had one in the twenty years of the hobby, but may go that route in the near future.

But here's what concerns me. The apex and reefkeeper have been around now for a long time. Yes, both have improved over the years, but what is very disconcerting is that the technology hasn't gotten to the "plug and play" level by now.

Issues that owners here on RC and other sites that have been having due to difficulties in set up are, for lack of better words, inexcusable.

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 08:16 PM   #44
Cliving1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
The biggest problem the OP has is he was using a MAC computer
Hahahahaha

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2016, 08:23 PM   #45
gone fishin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippers4pups View Post
Trust me, I'm not knocking a controller for my system. I have never had one in the twenty years of the hobby, but may go that route in the near future.

But here's what concerns me. The apex and reefkeeper have been around now for a long time. Yes, both have improved over the years, but what is very disconcerting is that the technology hasn't gotten to the "plug and play" level by now.

Issues that owners here on RC and other sites that have been having due to difficulties in set up are, for lack of better words, inexcusable.
In all honesty that is probably the single biggest reason I do not have one.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 11:17 AM   #46
ardsman
Registered Member

I am the most technically challenged person you could imagine and yet after much hair pulling, obscene expletives and stomping around wondering why I ever bought that thing I found a guy on the apex forum who walked me through the trials and tribulations and now I have a fully functional controller. He still texts me occasionally to see if everything is going well. Best purchase I ever made along with the ATO. Stick with it find a mentor and WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!

Current Tank Info: 67g rr, 30g sump, rlssr6i skimmer, Dsuny LED's Apex controller
ardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 12:37 PM   #47
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

One day of annoyance for years of automation. Love my apex

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 04:58 PM   #48
Ou8me2
Registered Member

I would think spending 1200.00 on a Apex system you would get pretty much all the devices and gadgets apex makes for it. I seen a place online and can't remember where that sold the 1200 kit and it looked like covered every addon possible.

Ou8me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 05:11 PM   #49
Pluedke1
Registered Member

My set up was easy. If you call them, and ask for Paul he will walk you through everything. What all did you receive for 1200$? mine was 550$ plus another EB8, night lights, auto feeder, and i'm still not close to a grand. I hope your local fish store didn't screw you! aside for my AWC the apex is the second best investment i have made. Take a break and come back, i think you are over complicating this, just IMO. GOOD LUCK

Pluedke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 05:15 PM   #50
VWD
Smelly fish

I found Neptune to respond fast and very helpful. Got mine for Christmas and have to admit it was a learning curve

120 RR Bare Bottom & 56 Bean animal connected to one sump. Life Reef external/blueline 40 HDX, Carbon reactor, GFO reactor, proton 48 led, 2 Kessils 160we tuna blue on 120 & 6 HQ t-5 on 56, b
VWD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, automation, controller, neptune