Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2014, 06:49 PM   #1
TripsReef
Registered Member

Controller for Kessil A360w?

I just purchased two A360w led pendants, which I absolutely love. After doing some research, I can't really find much info on what controllers are compatible with this light. I know that Neptune's Apex controllers work great with the Kessils, however I'm not looking to spend quite that much. I'm basically just looking for a controller that will produce a dawn/dusk affect, having the lights gradually come on and turn off. Although the lunar phases and occasional lightning storm functions are pretty cool, I don't find them necessary. Any one know of any reasonably priced controllers compatible with my Kessils? Any help is greatly appreciated.

TripsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 11:16 AM   #2
DaBears08
Registered Member

I'm going to follow, because I'm in the same boat. I like the features of the Apex but want to know what every bodies opinions are on cheaper controllers

DaBears08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 11:19 AM   #3
ReachTheSky
Registered Member

Reef Angel perhaps? They're quite a bit cheaper than the Apex ($269 vs. $400+) but still kinda up there.

Current tank: 7.5g Nano-Reef | Modified AquaClear50 | RapidLED Par38 bulb | 2x Koralia 240gph
ReachTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 11:34 AM   #4
boxo
Registered Member

There's also the bluefish controller coming -

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/33882...lerwhat-is-it/

(rbuilders dot com) /2014/01/10/bluefish-led-lighting-controller-inching-closer-reality

Got to admit - it looks pretty sweet hardware and interface wise. But as far as I know they are still in testing, or at least the beta signup thing is still on their page. Expected cost is ~180US.

boxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 02:36 PM   #5
palamo123
Registered Member

Can the aquatronica control them?

palamo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Rancherlee
Registered Member

I'm running mine off 2 channels on my Dim4, the other 2 channels control the DIY led filler lights.

Current Tank Info: 58rr Oceanic center flow
Rancherlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2014, 07:57 PM   #7
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

I really wish that Kessil Made their own Controller.

Kind of like the Ecoxotic Controller which is very very easy to use and only costs 50.00 vs. 500.00 for the Apex.

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2014, 01:31 PM   #8
TripsReef
Registered Member

I really like the Bluefish controller however as previously stated, it is still in beta testing. I'm curious as to when it is going to be released to the consumer market. Although I did apply for a beta testing model.

Unread 03/16/2014, 04:28 PM   #9
azjohnny
Registered Member

The Bluefish controller looks pretty cool

azjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2014, 08:31 PM   #10
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

That Bluefish is cool.

Says it is coming out this Month too.

I wish it would control my A150's though.

Unread 03/18/2014, 01:31 PM   #11
TripsReef
Registered Member

Anyone know what the projected price of the bluefish is expected to be? Hopefully nowhere near as pricey as the apex

Unread 03/18/2014, 01:41 PM   #12
mic209
Registered Member

The typhoon controlloer from boost led might work, and it's only $55

http://www.boostled.com/product_p/typhon.htm

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2014, 03:51 PM   #13
TripsReef
Registered Member

That typhoon controller looks more like a computer chip ha. Does it work like most other controllers, using outlets that you can individually control? Or do you need to be more tech savvy in order to set it up?

Unread 03/18/2014, 04:28 PM   #14
mic209
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripsReef View Post
That typhoon controller looks more like a computer chip ha. Does it work like most other controllers, using outlets that you can individually control? Or do you need to be more tech savvy in order to set it up?

The typhoon is purpose built to control LED drivers, you wouldn't be able to connect anything else to it.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2014, 05:38 PM   #15
percula99
Registered Member

I am looking at buying three Kessil A360WE for my 180. I will be keeping three E.Shine 60 watt CREE fixtures as supplementation. As for a controller, I have a ReefKeeper Lite. You can buy the Reef Keeper ALC (Advanced Light Controller) and Control Cable-Type 2, Part Number KA360C2 to connect them. My concern here is you can use it to control one light, but will it control more than one? See the quote below taken from the web site I am planning on buying from. Note the last sentence that starts: "When daisy-chained in series without an external controller". Am I misreading this? Are they saying the controller works with one fixture, and when daisy chained the master only works as a manual control knob setting to control the others?

Quote:
The A360 comes with a pair of ports that allows the fixture to be governed by external devices. This new control interface operates within a 0-10Vdc 10VDC range, making it compatible with several popular aquarium controllers. When daisy-chained in series without an external controller, the first A360 acts as the master unit propagating its settings to all other lights in the chain.

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
percula99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percula99 View Post
Are they saying the controller works with one fixture, and when daisy chained the master only works as a manual control knob setting to control the others?
With the A360s the first light becomes the master and every additional light you daisy chain to it is a slave. So whatever you have the controller do with the first light the others do exactly the same thing.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2014, 08:58 PM   #17
percula99
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefvet View Post
With the A360s the first light becomes the master and every additional light you daisy chain to it is a slave. So whatever you have the controller do with the first light the others do exactly the same thing.
I am hoping you are right Reefvet because that is how I need them to work. I am stuck on how they worded the sentence however; "When daisy-chained in series "without an external controller", the first A360 acts as the master unit propagating its settings to all other lights in the chain." I just went to the Kessil web site and they have the exact same wording, "without an external controller".

Current Tanks: 180 gallon reef. 270 lbs live rock. SPS, LPS and softies. 3 Kessil A360W-E pendants and 2 Evergrow IT-5080 fixtures.
Unread 04/26/2014, 05:31 PM   #18
billwill
Registered Member

I just hooked my two new A360W's up with my reefkeeper Elite with ALC module. Works pretty slick! DimA does the intensity and DimB does color. Single control wire with slave wire to second fixture like Reefvet said. I'm interested to hear what color percentage people are running with the controller. I'm still playing but like the crisp look of 75% for right now.

billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2014, 05:56 PM   #19
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percula99 View Post
I am hoping you are right Reefvet
I have several running on Apex controllers. That is what they do.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2014, 08:52 PM   #20
percula99
Registered Member

Thanks for the confirmation Billwill and Reefvet. I am stoked. Seeing as I wasn't convinced yesterday I sent an email to Kessil last night. I know I won't receive an answer until Monday, but all I needed was that assurance. It looks like I am going to go ahead with the Kessils in a week or so. Thanks again.

Unread 05/07/2014, 10:36 PM   #21
fed.gallardo
Registered Member

What size tank are you running? I have a 75 gallon now and am thinking 360W's

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I just hooked my two new A360W's up with my reefkeeper Elite with ALC module. Works pretty slick! DimA does the intensity and DimB does color. Single control wire with slave wire to second fixture like Reefvet said. I'm interested to hear what color percentage people are running with the controller. I'm still playing but like the crisp look of 75% for right now.

fed.gallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2014, 10:50 PM   #22
billwill
Registered Member

I'm running a 90g. These lights look incredible. I'm running 90% intensity with 70% color. Highly recommend the W model.

billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2014, 07:43 AM   #23
percula99
Registered Member

I have a 180 tank and have left three E.Shine 60W CREE fixtures in to supplement my Kessil a360WEs I just got. I removed three E.Shine 108W 4Gs to make way for the Kessils. I am not sure if I should be starting the Kessils at 50% as people say I will burn my corals if I start at 100%. Seeing as I have removed 108 watt fixtures to make way for 90 watt fixtures I am not sure if this is required or not. So far at 50% I am not satisfied with the Kessils. I have tried setting them at 100% for a while and they aren't bad, but not as nice a color as I was getting before. I have them set at about 50% on the color wheel, my CREES are set at 100% royal blue and 30% white. Any higher on the white and it washes out the shimmer. I must admit that I do love that shimmer. Still tweaking my settings.

Unread 05/08/2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Scorpius
Stick Head

Subscribed for the Blue Fish controller.

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2014, 01:31 PM   #25
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Kessil is Finally Coming Out with their Own Controller so you do not need to Spend 500.00 on an Apex or get a Blue Fish to Control your Kessils anymore.

Plus I am sure that there will be more Options with the Propietary Kessil Controller.

Check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/Kessil.LED

Tags
a370w controller, apex, kessil, neptune