Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/09/2015, 08:43 PM   #1
reefer10897
Registered Member

Smile Neptune Apex-gaming adapter-hotspot(verizoncellular)

I just purchased my first Apex and need to receive communication e-mail. My initial plans are to connect it to a Verizon connected Galaxy 5 cell phone through a Hotspot via a Linksys Instant Wireless WGA54G Network adapter. This would be a second phone I have laying in a drawer and would be like $10 a month to add to my current plan. Don't intend to do much communications, just need system fault e-mail. Don't currently have internet at remote site and crappy Centurylink is like $75/month to run dedicated line. Any input as to known issues with my plans? I ~think~ it should work fine, but would welcome expertise from the board.

Thank you

reefer10897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2015, 09:25 PM   #2
RussM
Registered Member

As that's a rather uncommon scenario, the only thing I can suggest is to give it a try.

The WGA54G was a good device in it's day, but is rather old - it does not support current WiFi security protocols & standards. It might not even connect to the Galaxy's hotspot.

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2015, 09:40 PM   #3
reefer10897
Registered Member

Any suggestions for a more recent gaming adapter or other device that supports current WiFi security protocols & standards that would work better in this scenario? Doesn't necessarily need to be a dirt cheap gaming adapter as I would choose reliability over initial investment cost. I will eventually upgrade to Centurylink dedicated LAN in about a year. System is currently to small to substantiate monthly bill for now.

Thanks

Unread 09/18/2015, 03:40 AM   #4
reefer10897
Registered Member

Ok Thanks everyone

Ok Thanks

Unread 09/18/2015, 07:02 AM   #5
cavscout2107
Registered Member

Watch your datacap if it's hooked up to Fusion. I'm sure it's not a ton of data every month but they are in almost consistent communication with NS servers.

cavscout2107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex, hotspot, neptune, network, verizon