Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2018, 12:25 PM   #1
rawhideshaba
Registered Member

Unhappy Dosing Pumps Longevity

Ok so I am considering getting a dosing pump for my new saltwater setup. Since I know that i forget to dose things from time to time and I really like the idea of constant water changes, BUT.....

I watched a video on the DOS pump by Neptune and the guy said the pumps have a bout a 600 hour life. Does anyone have experience with these? I would never pay 300 dollars for a pump that lasts 25 days.

Does he mean that they need cleaning every 600 hours or so or what?

If anyone can fill me in please do as I cant have been hearing this right.

I shared the Site that this video is on in case it helps.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dos-d...e-systems.html

rawhideshaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:33 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

I’ve had my Dos since it was first released over 2 years ago. It’s been running everyday since. I think what you are misunderstanding is that they are talking about is tubing life, not motorlife and 600 hours on tubing is a pretty good amount of time compared to other dosers. Especially when you consider the pump heads will only be running a fraction of the day. Tubing is a normal replacement/maintenance item on all dosing pumps. Some use cheap silicone tubing that doesn’t last anywhere near that of the Dos. The Dos uses norprene type tubing which lasts much longer than most other tubing. FWIW, I’ve yet to change my tubing since I bought my Dos.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:43 PM   #3
n2585722
Registered Member

Dosing pumps run intermittently. A few seconds every few hours. So if you are only running a minute or 2 a day 600 hrs is a long time. That is probably the amount of time between tubing changes. Since it is pinched between the rollers it will eventually fail. This goes for any peristaltic pump. I use a dosing pump for ATO and had to change the tubing after about a year and a half. I have no experence with the Neptune devices, but as a general rule you will want some kind of paristaltic pump as a dosing pump.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 03:21 PM   #4
golfish
Team RC Member

I used a Spectrapure LiterMeter for 17-18 years before it died, and I bought it used. I replaced the tubing 3x

I replaced it with one of the units BRS sells, so far so good.

FWIW, I control the pump with a Sipidon float switch that I bought in 1999 (if it works don't fix it) I also use a timer to keep down the amount of times per day that the pump comes on. I set the timer to come on for 20 minutes ever 4hrs, this is just a little more than the daily evap. I think it will help the life of the pump.

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 03:38 PM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

Mine run about 15minutes/day. 600 hrs = 36000 minutes 36000/15 = 2400 days
2400/365 = 6.57 years.

I replace tubing sets every couple years just because it's a cheap easy way to make sure they keep dosing what they're supposed to.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 08:08 PM   #6
rawhideshaba
Registered Member

Tube life gotcha! I figured as much but if you dont ask you wont know!

For constant water changes to equal maybe 10- 20% of the tank volume a week wouldnt that mean the pump would be running a lot more than 15 minutes per day? I would love to try this out as i have been doing weekly water changes on multiple freshwater tanks for a few years now and skipping to once a month would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

rawhideshaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 10:09 PM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Peri tubing life, yes, but also the roller heads.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dose pumps, dosing, neptune