Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/27/2014, 04:26 PM   #1
speedo2wet
Sharks!!!!

Particleboard injection

So my new stand ended up getting wet from a drip which I created and the particleboard sucked it up and became swollen. After cleaning up and drying it out I still get a little worried about it. Even though it dry and feels like a rock it's still particleboard. On that note, I do wish stand manufactures made their stands out of marine grade plywood or something.
Ok so I've been told to inject the particle board with 2 part epoxy to re bond and strengthen the particle wood. Mainly found this out because it's what we now do to repair transoms on wood boats from water rot.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

speedo2wet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 04:44 PM   #2
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

I would prefer they just stop using particle board, regular AC plywood is far superior but slightly more expensive.

FWIW marine grade plywood has no special water repellency or water resistance. It is how it is constructed that makes it marine grade, the inner plies are "b grade" or better with no voids, which gives it better strength capabilities, it used to require a Resorcinol glue but I don't recall seeing that in the spec the last time I read the PS on it, we may have better glues now. The specification was originally a military spec used in boat building. You must have a structurally strong plywood with a glue that resists heat and cold in making boats with plywood, voids are a no-no. It will rot the same as any exterior grade plywood and must be protected from water the same. I have brokered, wholesaled and retailed a lot of it in the past 30 years.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 06:06 PM   #3
speedo2wet
Sharks!!!!

I get what your saying. What are your thoughts on injecting the particleboard with an epoxy.

Unread 02/27/2014, 06:15 PM   #4
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Epoxy isn't a structural component, the most it will do is keep it from getting wet again or falling apart further. It will also do no harm. A few years back I bought a used 58 gallon tank with a particle board stand, it had been soaked a few times and still held. When I sold the tank a few years later it was still holding but I told the buyer to not trust it. I have no idea if they used it again or not.

My guess is your stand will be fine, but I would watch it. I built my current stand out of lumber and plywood, and it is way over built, but it is one thing I will never have to worry about.

How big is the tank?

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Unread 02/27/2014, 08:06 PM   #5
speedo2wet
Sharks!!!!

Particleboard injection

150 gallon tall deep blue tank

Plan was to inject the particleboard and then cut 1X4 the height of the vertical supports that are there and secure them on each side of the supports to re enforce the stand.

Unread 02/27/2014, 08:12 PM   #6
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

It will help. If the tank hasn't been set up long I would build a proper stand, that's a lot of weight on particle board, at least in my opinion.

Unread 02/27/2014, 08:16 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Boy a 150g on a particle board stand sounds pretty sketchy.
For the time and effort you are spending on repairing or shoring it up I would just assume build a new stand.
I personally would be leary to even get underneath and inside that if the tank is filled

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Coral Dilema
Registered Member

Compare the cost of building a new stand versus replacing your stand, tank, everything in the tank, floor and carpet, nearby furniture, etc.

Which would you prefer? There is no way I would put a tank on particle board, it it just a matter of time before it fails. 150 gallons of water weighs over 1000 pounds.

Current Tank Info: 20 inch cube running, Looking for a good place to get a 36 X 20-24 X 18-24 tank.

Last edited by Coral Dilema; 02/27/2014 at 09:23 PM.
Coral Dilema is offline   Reply With Quote