Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 01/25/2008, 03:52 PM   #101
glassbox-design
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WZHANG
I know what you mean, but that would be considered revival of periods, which are not modern in aesthetic or ideals. This thread was pertaining to the modern era or contemporary.
+1, could not have said it better.

LEDs are a 50,000 hr investment. Choose wisely.

Current Tank Info: ...a new glassbox is coming
Unread 01/25/2008, 04:21 PM   #102
JustinReef
Registered Member

This is a great thread! Very interesting...

I think another thread discussing a wide variety of design ideas and styles would also be great. It would be nice to see peoples unique or custom tanks (plus the room because to me the room is just as important) of all styles and hear a bit about them...or just hear the comments on overall design and style. Some of us would learn (or remember) a thing or two!

Great thread though!

Unread 01/25/2008, 05:05 PM   #103
CamBarr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinpsmith
This is a great thread! Very interesting...

I think another thread discussing a wide variety of design ideas and styles would also be great. It would be nice to see peoples unique or custom tanks (plus the room because to me the room is just as important) of all styles and hear a bit about them...or just hear the comments on overall design and style. Some of us would learn (or remember) a thing or two!

Great thread though!

Thank you i thought this would bring some interesting response. But i wont lie i really did it for ideas i live very in a very modern house and am needing some new ideas for a new tank he he

Unread 01/25/2008, 05:14 PM   #104
hahnmeister
Moved On

Just look at most stuff that is made overseas and you will see plenty. For some reason, the US is caught in some 'revival' mode that nobody else is. Seriously, go to Home Depot, and most of the stuff on the wall is 'country', 'traditional', etc. Go to B&Q (HD-UK) or some shop there, and you cant even find that gaudy crap over there. Their 'common' stuff is the ultra contemporary stuff that we pay high dollar for here in the US.

Unread 01/25/2008, 05:18 PM   #105
seapug
Registered Member

This thread should be combined with the Japanese Tank thread from earlier.

Check out these tanks from Japan:
http://www.trio-corp.jp/aquarium/vivaria_tank_5.html

and these, especially the "upright tank" with a built in upstream refugium:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/aqua-nics/syouhin-annai.html

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
Unread 01/25/2008, 06:03 PM   #106
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CamBarr
Thank you i thought this would bring some interesting response. But i wont lie i really did it for ideas i live very in a very modern house and am needing some new ideas for a new tank he he
Do you have any pics of the room you have/want to have the tank in?

I was also thinking the same thing about the Japanese thread and this one. I love the style of those Japanese tanks!

Unread 01/25/2008, 06:30 PM   #107
hahnmeister
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
This thread should be combined with the Japanese Tank thread from earlier.

Check out these tanks from Japan:
http://www.trio-corp.jp/aquarium/vivaria_tank_5.html

and these, especially the "upright tank" with a built in upstream refugium:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/aqua-nics/syouhin-annai.html
Many of the Japanese tanks do fall under 'ultra modern', but they are a bit different than what you see coming out of Europe. I think the Japanese style has a certain 'flair' that Europeans dont strive for. The Japanese ones are more form than function... with spotlights over designated areas for an overall effect. Many of the European designs achieve their look more from form following function. The look of many German tanks is very functional, like the technology is arrived upon first, and then the tank designed around that. For instance, some T5 lit tanks, with their low profile lighting hanging over an open tank top on even a large tank... it looks the way it does because 'thats how they build tanks there' and 'thats what the lighting looks like'. Some Japanese tanks are the opposite in that they arent even designed with efficiency in mind. The reflectors are spotlights sometimes, and housed far above the water of the tank at angles (not evey efficient) with blinders to cut down glare... but its all to get a desired effect rather than the final effect being derived from the technology. In that respect, I would not lump Japanese tanks in with European/German ones.

Unread 01/25/2008, 06:53 PM   #108
CamBarr
Registered Member

I agree look at high end German/European cars vs high en Japanese perfect example^^^^^

Unread 01/25/2008, 06:58 PM   #109
CamBarr
Registered Member

hahnmeister- to show an example of your example of lighting how its built for more effect and not design/efficiency

Japanese lighting typically looks like this

Unread 01/25/2008, 07:01 PM   #110
WZHANG
Registered Member

Great link! Check out the modular tank stand.. pretty cool.

Unread 01/25/2008, 07:20 PM   #111
JustinReef
Registered Member

Looks like many of the Japanese tanks use very thick glass to avoid any bracing or trim. I love the clean look. Sometimes it looks like a section of the ocean is just floating in a room. Very cool.

Yeah I love that stand. Comes in three pieces too! Easy to move and maybe possible to set up in multiple ways?

Unread 01/25/2008, 07:43 PM   #112
WZHANG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Just look at most stuff that is made overseas and you will see plenty. For some reason, the US is caught in some 'revival' mode that nobody else is. Seriously, go to Home Depot, and most of the stuff on the wall is 'country', 'traditional', etc. Go to B&Q (HD-UK) or some shop there, and you cant even find that gaudy crap over there. Their 'common' stuff is the ultra contemporary stuff that we pay high dollar for here in the US.
I think it has to do with the fact that the majority of Americans are still pretty conservative and traditional.. So, the hardware store for the masses reflects the consumer's wants. Funny thing is that I did some research and of all the hardware that homedepot carries, the one Modern one that looks just like a very common design,(even Ikea has had a version of it forever) is their hottest seller... makes me think that Americans would buy modern products if they were more available.. Especially Men, as they/we have this attraction to Modern style.

Last edited by WZHANG; 01/25/2008 at 07:52 PM.
Unread 01/25/2008, 07:46 PM   #113
seapug
Registered Member

Yes, the japanese tanks are very different from the European and North American styles, but they have a lot of small sized, high powered pumps and plumbing systems we haven't seen yet. They do tend to have a different lighting style, but just because they look like the spotlights you may be familiar with, don't assume it's inferior. They're the ones pioneering LED and cold cathode lighting systems that we have yet to even see.

Not to mention their, livestock....do some searching around and see some of the fish and corals they are breeding and propagating!

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon custom Marineland DD peninsular tank. LPS dominated mixed reef. Previous 90 gallon mixed reef TOTM April 2009.
Unread 01/25/2008, 08:06 PM   #114
seapug
Registered Member

Whoa.....

wanna see some more?

http://www.splash-sea.co.jp/tank/index.html

Unread 01/25/2008, 08:07 PM   #115
seapug
Registered Member

ummm...a fish you won't see at your domestic LFS:

Unread 01/25/2008, 08:20 PM   #116
WZHANG
Registered Member

^super cute!^

Unread 01/25/2008, 08:37 PM   #117
silenceisgolden
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree look at high end German/European cars vs high en Japanese perfect example^^^^^
hah. i absolutely agree. <3 the analogy.

Current Tank Info: softies lps and but mostly ricordeas.
Unread 01/25/2008, 09:05 PM   #118
Agu
Registered Member

What's in the tank and what's outside the tank are two different issues.

American tanks tend to have "traditional" stands which means they look like aquarium stands. There's no way to make a fiberboard stand look contemporary so those tanks are out of the game.

So I looked at the Aisan tank links, they emphasize what's in the tank. They looked great but the environment isn't shown so what does that tell us? Nothing. For all we know they're sitting on empty beer cases. The interior may be contemporary (or temporary based on the lack of coraline algae in any tank) but does that make a modern setup ?

European tanks seem to emphasize streamlined lighting and eurobracing without showing the whole environment. Maybe they're also sitting on empty beer cases

If you're into "modern design" you have to look at the complete environment and determine how an aquarium fits into the greater plan/scheme of the home.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Unread 01/25/2008, 09:12 PM   #119
msobon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinpsmith
I would say more than "some" of them are less than "modern". I find many of them to be less than modern.

I have to disagree with that 3rd pic in the last post being anything close to modern. The last few pics are closer to what the original poster was looking for I think although the rest of the room besides the aquarium is not really modern at all.

I studied interior design before getting into the film industry and we spent quite a long period of time studying "modern" design. That was years ago and I do not consider myself a designer anymore but I think I have a basic idea of design still Here for example is a better idea of what a modern room would look like. You can imagine how these elements and designs can be used in an aquarium. I would say that most of the aquariums in this thread would NOT fit in this room...

Just a comment on that the reference pic, It looks more of a interior design concept, but not something that would ever be used as a practical living space, its more of a desing showcase than anyhting else.
The pics provided in this thread are from peoples homes and other real places, they represent the different approaches of modernizing the reef into the living space instead of the gloomy basement fishrooms.
Also yes, I agree some are more "modern" or simplisticly clean looking than others but all still fit this criteria as most of them are inovative and surpass the norm in the typical setup.

Unread 01/25/2008, 09:27 PM   #120
chingchai
Premium Member

I really like this thread. Hope you guys don't mind if I join in.

Unread 01/25/2008, 09:27 PM   #121
JustinReef
Registered Member

Well I cannot tell you for sure whether this room was just a design concept or real room but what I can tell you is that it is the room father modeled his TV room after and looks almost identical. I reason I had this picture on hand was because he gave it to an interior designer and had him recreate it for his home. I have a few friends who also have very similar looking rooms and apartments where I used to live in Miami. So I have to disagree that this is "not something that would ever be used as a practical living space".

My point was also that quite a few of the pics in the thread do not show any kind of modernized approach to reef keeping. There certainly are quite a few that do as well though. There is a reason I did not post my living room/aquarium in this thread. Although it has a strong sense of design and the aquarium is tied in very much to the decor and style of the room, it is quite contemporary and does not have many modern elements. Maybe the most "modern" looking thing in the room is the plasma tv...but that does not make it a modern style room

Sorry but I really don't "get" what you are trying to say...

Unread 01/26/2008, 12:41 AM   #122
hahnmeister
Moved On

Quote:
hahnmeister- to show an example of your example of lighting how its built for more effect and not design/efficiency

Japanese lighting typically looks like this

Yeah, perfect example of the Japanese style. You dont see spotlights on most modern euro tanks. Also of note, you dont see alot of in-wall Japanese tanks either.

Unread 01/26/2008, 12:59 AM   #123
hahnmeister
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by WZHANG
I think it has to do with the fact that the majority of Americans are still pretty conservative and traditional.. So, the hardware store for the masses reflects the consumer's wants. Funny thing is that I did some research and of all the hardware that homedepot carries, the one Modern one that looks just like a very common design,(even Ikea has had a version of it forever) is their hottest seller... makes me think that Americans would buy modern products if they were more available.. Especially Men, as they/we have this attraction to Modern style.

Thats partly true. I dont think men are any more attracted to modern style than women though, although how extreme of modern perhaps. I like the pure white, Richard Meier, Frank Ghery, Sir Norman Foster, Bauhaus group, etc. Anita (mind you, she has grown up around the world) prefers modern as well, but not as extreme... more arts & crafts perhaps like Wright, Eames, etc. When I asked a designer a year or so ago she responded with something along the lines of 'its because the new-world likes to draw from the old-world for its influences because it makes us "feel at home". The perception is that all that traditional and colonial stuff is what is classy in Europe because thats where it came from'. The truth is rather ironic.

That 'best seller' at Home Depot is just that because its one of the only ones that they sell that is contemporary. That series is very nice, I plan on using those on my Kraftmaid Venicia gloss black cabinet doors when they come in. Why isnt there more? Because its so darn expensive. We charge a premium here for that stuff... most likely because alot of it (AXOR faucets for instance) is common in EU, but is made there as well... so for us it has to be shipped. I have seen those slick looking AXOR 'spigot' style faucets in the EU for 80euro and then over here for $350! I have some friends who just moved into a new home by me and they are from Germany. They want a solid glass door to serve as their kitchen swinging door... just a solid 1/2" thick tempered frosted piece of glass. They couldnt understand how such a simple design was not available. I had to send them to a plate glass wholeseller/mfg to get them custom made. Somehow they did find frosted solid glass doors to act as their closet doors though.

Unread 01/26/2008, 12:59 AM   #124
Aj Flip
Registered Member

is that a green stonefish up there?

my lfs had a stonefish for only $34!

Unread 01/26/2008, 05:45 AM   #125
mxett
Registered Member

Would my new 4 foot cube count as modern?

Closed Thread