Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/08/2008, 12:56 PM   #76
Ratpack
Registered Member

Looks like a great show, wish I could have made it over. Keep the pics coming.

Ratpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 01:19 PM   #77
A.T.T.R
Registered Member

"
These guys were also a big hit:
"

those guys actualy run a lfs in my area called eco reef.
you should see the show tanks..

Current Tank Info: Starting a 20g
A.T.T.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 01:27 PM   #78
purebullet417
Rimless Reef Club

this is all i took from the point and shoot i still have to go through the 200+ pics on my dslr lol here is some vids and the 1 pic i took on this
those mag rocks that someone eles was talking about

the excessively overbuilt 72x36x30 that my uncle is looking at ordering from them in the same size

this is the teco lemonade chiller thingy in action

and lastly a vid of the drs F&S display

Current Tank Info: 57 Gallon Rimless
purebullet417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 02:12 PM   #79
chrismunn
Registered Member

wow, what a great picture tour, i feel like i was actually there!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Current Tank Info: 14g bio cube
chrismunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 03:03 PM   #80
hahnmeister
Moved On

The downside and truth to it is... besides the lectures.... the pictures and vids do tell the most important parts of the story as far as many here are concerned. You might not have seen it as soon as we did, but you see it now none the less.

Those Mag Rocks were cool. They had the smaller 'frag plug' size ones, and the new ones that are literally a piece of rock that you stick to your glass with the magnets behind. Here's the thing... I asked, and so did others, how well they stick to the back... as in 'how large of a coral colony can grow on there before you start to have problems?'... because I would worry that some of the corals that you would really want to put on a rock like that are going to 1- get pretty bulky/heavy, and/or 2- get hit with alot of flow as they grow. Nobody wants their Tunze's ripping the colony off the back wall. Their response was that over time, coralline algae tends to keep the rocks in place by providing friction from sliding, but with there being only 2 magnets on the back of the rocks (no curing time BTW) they can 'creep down'... to which the suggested solution was to simply buy a bunch of them so they simply hold each other up... to which I simply thought to myself "well then, I'll just keep making aragacrete walls to cover my back glass with and let the aragacrete hold itself up from top to bottom"... ja know?

I should have spent more time at the 'Reef Results' Marine booth. When ever I passed by, nobody said anything to me though (unlike Joe's Juice which would hawk you down, bring you in for at least a chat, and insist you take a card at the very other end of the spectrum of 'active marketing', lol.). I suppose... they most likely didnt want to bother you unless you actually stepped inside their booth, but their booth was always so full of people. Is it supposed to be some sort of 'Prodobio' or what? Bacteria? Chemicals? Frankly, I wasnt that impressed just because their tank didnt look all that great. Neither did Prodobio's, which Im sure hurt them, but trying to set up a 'low nutrient' system with nice corals is hard to do overnight. Perhaps they should consider ditching the tanks and just do what Deltec did... get a good flat panel TV and run videos. The only reason I bought the Prodobio was because I have seen it with others' tanks and word of mouth. Either that, or start coming up with portable tank designs that you can transport from show to show w/o disturbing everything. The tanks that SHOULD have looked the best just didnt.

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 03:15 PM   #81
GQuinn
Registered Member

Great pictures, and thanks to everyone for sharing them.

Gary

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 03:41 PM   #82
A.T.T.R
Registered Member

reef results is just the same stuff packed in a different package.. have gotten into a few convos with the make of it.. . the only products worth thinking of is the 2 part they make..

Unread 09/08/2008, 04:58 PM   #83
jamesdawson
Registered Member

By the way Hahn,

There is no surprise on my part concerning your info on Sunlight Supply (your Teklight cooling mod on display and then disappearing/ lack of info regarding the Tek2/ no Sam, etc). If they use your idea to cool the current Tek I hope you get paid for it.

Worst company I have ever dealt with in or out of reefing and Sam Remington is the only company rep I have ever seen who publicly insulted customers/rival companies (here on RC nonetheless) and wasn't even fired.

James

Current Tank Info: I'm expanding my reach
jamesdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 05:03 PM   #84
A.T.T.R
Registered Member

i remember that didnt hey try to sue icecap for bouncing light off of bent metal?

Unread 09/08/2008, 05:10 PM   #85
chrismunn
Registered Member

so who were some of the speakers and what did they talk about? i heard there was a guy there talking about japanese style spot lighting? thats sounds interesting!

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Unread 09/08/2008, 05:31 PM   #86
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
so who were some of the speakers and what did they talk about? i heard there was a guy there talking about japanese style spot lighting? thats sounds interesting!
I really want those Japanese style spots! Just have never seen them available...

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 05:40 PM   #87
chrismunn
Registered Member

i was reading a thread in one of the local club forums here and the fella who started it was talking about them. he said that they dont offer them in the U.S. because of the power source or something to that effect? i dont know if thats true or not, but if it is ide imagine it would be the same in B.C. right?

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Unread 09/08/2008, 06:28 PM   #88
JustinReef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrismunn
i was reading a thread in one of the local club forums here and the fella who started it was talking about them. he said that they dont offer them in the U.S. because of the power source or something to that effect? i dont know if thats true or not, but if it is ide imagine it would be the same in B.C. right?
Yeah it is the same here. Can't get them. I can have them brought over for me from Asia because my dad lives there and comes to Canada a few times a year but haven't yet because I would not be able to use them here as far as I know. Anyways, off topic a bit but I am interested to know if they did talk about them at the show???

JustinReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 06:30 PM   #89
hahnmeister
Moved On

Those lumenbrights arent that far off... if you added blinders around the edge, Im sure they would work just fine for that.

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesdawson
By the way Hahn,

There is no surprise on my part concerning your info on Sunlight Supply (your Teklight cooling mod on display and then disappearing/ lack of info regarding the Tek2/ no Sam, etc). If they use your idea to cool the current Tek I hope you get paid for it.

Worst company I have ever dealt with in or out of reefing and Sam Remington is the only company rep I have ever seen who publicly insulted customers/rival companies (here on RC nonetheless) and wasn't even fired.

James
Well, not to excuse Sam for any prior actions, but I was told he really tried to come, but due to the way the company reps are distributed, it was simply too far for the company to justify sending him unless he paid his own way. I'll take it for what its worth, as it seems that SLS might be one of the only companies considering making a 5' version of whatever the final design is, and they are open to consumer input on the final result as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conversations with Tom/Aquactinics have been more back and forth on that. Its not an argument, just a back and forth discussion about the market for the most part. For a bit, the 5' unit thing seemed like a real good idea to them. IMO, its the peak of T5 technology (due to higher power density) Then there was the ballast issue... so I countered with the numbers showing that a 1x80 is still cheaper than a 2x39, not to mention 1/2 the number of endcaps, and in theory 1/2 the number of reflectors. Now I know, 5' reflectors have a bump in mfg. cost since most places would need a retool for this, and the way 5' material is shipped would bump up the cost some more... instead of a 5' reflector costing a couple dollars more, they would be more like $5 more or something like that. Which to me, is still worth it, you know? One 5' reflector is still better than two 3' ones. Because when it comes to bulb replacement time, the 39's are gonna cost $40 and one 5' will cost $25? Then Tom brought up the issue of wiring time... which I quickly countered since yes, 1x80 ballasts might mean more power cord wiring (ooooo), but you also just cut your endcaps in 1/2... so you you should see a net improvement. Then the whole '5 foot bulbs are more expensive to ship because they are more fragile (but that much more than 4's...???) and I do suppose it might put them over some sort of size class for shipping where the price jumps. Still... Im sure there are ways around that one, and Aquactinics makes fixtures... why be concerned about bulbs. If they were so hard to ship, then why would Giesemann, Aquascience, ATI, etc... even bother importing them... as they come from overseas!!??

Then Tom mentioned something that I think has more to do with it... they once had a 5' halide fixture... not a big seller at all. And I can see that... not many 5' tanks out there, and so WHY NOT get a 6' unit as the customer? Its not like there is any reason, you know? Halides can be spaced 3 in a 3' length or something... its a different set of reasons, you know? When the length is that arbitrary... well, I can see why a 5' fixture wouldnt do so well.

But with T5's... 5' is key because its the 80 watt bulb length. Its a different story because THAT IS THE SIZE YOU NEED TO FIT IT, and going 6' just isnt needed. Tom cited the cost jump for making such a limited run of enclosures... I dont know. If it was just that, I think you could just mount 5'ers in a 6' shell.... you know? And Tom said that the 5' reflectors might still be likely... more likely than a full fixture it seems. Something tells me that the 5' fixture would be more popular than the 6' in the long run... people would rather have 80 watt bulbs than dual 39's if given the option... I dont think its as obvious though since the 6' fixture is what is out there now. With halides, there was just no good reason to go 5' vs. 6' other than to match the length of the tank (so fine, just put 80 watt bulbs in a 6' shell once again), but T5's are a different ballgame since the bulbs ARE 5', not 4', not 6' (sorry I keep repeating this, but is the logic setting in?). Tom thinks that the 6' unit is what consumers prefer vs. 5' based on the halide sales. To me, it still just doesnt add up (if anything, it would seem to me that a 5' unit would be more popular and cheaper to produce than a 2x39)... fine, put 5' bulbs in a 6' shell... still better. Heck, then you can have a full 7 rows of T5's in the constellation and cluster the new LED's in at the 6" ends for the 'shimmer'.... because a cluster works better than a 'strip' for shimmer anyways... you know?

And then there is what I saw for myself... the UVL guys were hanging out the whole time. AND, EVERY Aquactinics fixture was running UVL bulbs. So how much you want to bet that has something to do with it, being that UVL doesnt make 5' bulbs? Making a 5' fixture would really put UVL out, now wouldnt it?

Now, OTOH, if Chris at Icecap gave the 'go' on 5' Icecap reflectors... a 5' Solaris would be more likely Tom mentioned. Chris?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, when I presented my case to SLS for 5' units... they were right on board, thinking of it already it seems. To test that market with the new Tek, Sam asked if a 6 bulb unit would be good... I said no, an 8 bulb since any tank that is long enough to justify 5' bulbs would also justify if not need 8 of them (sometimes 10 or 12 even). No argument there it seems... and they are all about it. If SLS comes out with a ballz 5' Tek2 unit... I have a feeling many others looking for the same thing will be sending them lots of love since its a size that NOBODY else makes. Heck... Im running the numbers on making a shell (a full enclosure shell that you can wire up yourself with reflectors of your pick) myself. Make it look slicker than anything else out there, with ducting for 120mm computer fans to simply get bolted on, and Im sure it would sell. But I dont want to do that. Now, if you look at the bulbs that SLS runs and has at their booth, you will notice that NARVA/Giesemann is it... and they make a 5' bulb. Could that really be it?

hahnmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 06:36 PM   #90
bubbletip2
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hahnmeister
[B]Those lumenbrights arent that far off... if you added blinders around the edge, Im sure they would work just fine for that.

Hey now Hahn. Easy cowboy... At the very least, there is still a place for LuemnBrights in the hobby, right?

Current Tank Info: 156G Oceanic SPS Dominant Reef System(L60.5 x W24.5 x H25) - 30g Cube plmbed into DT - 1 LG LB Pndt. - 250w EVC 14K(EVC Ballast) - Panworld(790gph feed)
bubbletip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 06:37 PM   #91
kryppy
Moved Down

Quote:
Originally posted by balagan
Lol Kryppy, you caught me and my son (me in green hat).

Great show. It was good to meet folks that I've talked to on some of the forums.

Thanks to gcarrol for some awesome frags as well...now if they would hurry up an grow.
Ha, I was wondering if anyone from RC would see themselves!

kryppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 06:55 PM   #92
Shawn D
Registered Member

Had a great time at MACNA hopefully I can go next year as well. Though this pic turned out kinda cool

Shawn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 07:04 PM   #93
kryppy
Moved Down

Some shots from the raffle area.

Unread 09/08/2008, 07:04 PM   #94
Emc2
Registered Member

Nice picture Shawn!

Erin

Current Tank Info: 58 gallon
Emc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 07:07 PM   #95
kryppy
Moved Down

The most popular item by far, I didn't win it.

Unread 09/08/2008, 07:10 PM   #96
kryppy
Moved Down

Unread 09/08/2008, 07:37 PM   #97
FinsReef
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hahnmeister
[B]Fin's was there, sporting the H&S:

And in the corner of Fins was a comparison between one 175w mogul LED replacement and 'brand x':

The PAR meter is giving a 98 there I believe. Notice how there wasnt an actual 175w halide there though

We had an adjacent booth with Coral Dynamics so half of the stuff was theirs. Great guys to hang around with this weekend and they have some awesome products as well.

Eric

FinsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2008, 07:41 PM   #98
chrismunn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justinpsmith
I am interested to know if they did talk about them at the show???
http://maast.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45778

Austin Reef Club

PBITAWA...

Unread 09/08/2008, 07:59 PM   #99
kryppy
Moved Down

My shots from the Georgia Aquarium. These could really use some processing but I am lazy..

The bus ride over.

The world famous line. Had to be at least a thousand people at the aquarium.

Unread 09/08/2008, 08:02 PM   #100
kryppy
Moved Down

Stinkin seam!

Should be plenty of pictures out there!