Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2016, 05:48 AM   #4301
alton
Registered Member

The picture was from my 300, downsizing to the 180 has created the problem. I guess I will play ini, meani, mini, mo!

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 06:18 AM   #4302
OrionN
Moved on

I like the mis-bar. Keep the one you like according to the patern.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 07:10 AM   #4303
alton
Registered Member

I am thinking of setting up a temporary tank using my 100 gallon rubbermaid tub with liverock to hold the larger regal for a few weeks and see how the other fish react. If it goes well I will sell it, if the Flame angel male or black tang become terrors, then I will re-install the larger and sell the smaller. I hope my wife is understanding?

Unread 04/28/2016, 07:22 AM   #4304
OrionN
Moved on

Good luck

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 04/29/2016, 09:22 AM   #4305
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

so another question, i am still window shopping and see that Blue Zoo has the yellow breast variant listed, currently in stock ones are listed as Indian Ocean as their collection point.

what size would be your preference if you were ordering this fish today?

they have up to 2.5" and 2.5 - 3" listed in stock for the yellow bellies. i am inclined to go smaller rather than larger, but i'm sure that presents its own unique challenges.

i can get a wider range of size choice if i go with a blue breast one, but right now i'm fairly set on the yellow breast. if there's no reason to go with a larger size, i would probably order the smallest i could get.

anything i am not taking in to consideration here?

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2016, 09:48 AM   #4306
OrionN
Moved on

I am 2/4 (more like 1/3 because I cheated on the last one)
One almost 2 inches Blue chest did great. Still have him. Next the same size blue chest, not make it. Next 5 inches yellow chested, did not make it (I should not have got that one). Then I cheated and got on from Alton, yellow chested 3.5 inches. He is doing great.
It can get a while to get them to eat so I would not get a really small one. I would not get one much below 2 inches. I don't have as much experiences as some of the Regal angel owner around here.

Unread 04/29/2016, 10:40 AM   #4307
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I am 2/4 (more like 1/3 because I cheated on the last one)
One almost 2 inches Blue chest did great. Still have him. Next the same size blue chest, not make it. Next 5 inches yellow chested, did not make it (I should not have got that one). Then I cheated and got on from Alton, yellow chested 3.5 inches. He is doing great.
It can get a while to get them to eat so I would not get a really small one. I would not get one much below 2 inches. I don't have as much experiences as some of the Regal angel owner around here.
thank you!

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Unread 04/29/2016, 11:28 AM   #4308
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I would get one in the 2.5 to 3.5 inch range. All I got in that range were eating right away and didn't cause any trouble during acclimatization. With smaller or larger I had no luck. The only 3.5 inch I lost was likely due to cyanide. Though from all I know Blue Zoo get their Indian ocean regals either from the Maldives or Africa.
In the 2.5 to 3.5 range they are usually also just changing from juvenile to adult coloration.
The final argument would be the $50 lower price over the tiny.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2016, 11:44 AM   #4309
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
I would get one in the 2.5 to 3.5 inch range. All I got in that range were eating right away and didn't cause any trouble during acclimatization. With smaller or larger I had no luck. The only 3.5 inch I lost was likely due to cyanide. Though from all I know Blue Zoo get their Indian ocean regals either from the Maldives or Africa.
In the 2.5 to 3.5 range they are usually also just changing from juvenile to adult coloration.
The final argument would be the $50 lower price over the tiny.
x2

Stay away from the tiny

Unread 04/29/2016, 11:52 AM   #4310
brett559
In Memoriam

Just looked at bluezoo - says they only have Large in stock. Did you pull the trigger?

brett559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2016, 12:20 PM   #4311
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett559 View Post
Just looked at bluezoo - says they only have Large in stock. Did you pull the trigger?
You looked at the wrong Regal angel listing!
Blue Zoo has them split into Yellow Bellies (Indian Ocean and Red Sea) and Regular (Pacific)

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 04/29/2016, 12:41 PM   #4312
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Thanks everyone!

I did not pull the trigger yet. Maybe someone beat me to it.

They have two listings for regals that are a bit apart on their large angels page. The yellow breast ones are a few rows down.

Unread 04/29/2016, 12:47 PM   #4313
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoBongo View Post
Thanks everyone!

I did not pull the trigger yet. Maybe someone beat me to it.

They have two listings for regals that are a bit apart on their large angels page. The yellow breast ones are a few rows down.
The small YBR are still there. Last time I checked they had 3 small and 2 tiny in inventory.

Last edited by ThRoewer; 04/29/2016 at 01:36 PM.
Unread 04/29/2016, 01:44 PM   #4314
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
The small YBR are still there. Last time I checked they had 3 small and 2 tiny in inventory.
ThRoewer do they get there fish from somewhere other than QM?

Unread 04/29/2016, 03:05 PM   #4315
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
ThRoewer do they get there fish from somewhere other than QM?
From what I know, Blue Zoo is the retail outlet of Pacific Aqua Farms and gets their livestock from them.

Unread 04/29/2016, 03:12 PM   #4316
alton
Registered Member

Okay thanks

Unread 04/29/2016, 06:24 PM   #4317
NYCEnglish
Registered Member

I got my 3.5" Regal from LiveAquaria (not DD) - he's doing great so far (two weeks in). Arrived nice and plump and after day 1 has been eating pellets. Less interested in frozen so far (Reef Frenzy and PE-Mysis), although he nibbles at it and takes a few small portions.

NYCEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2016, 01:05 AM   #4318
ThRoewer
Registered Member

My 2 Philippine regals passed the 300 day mark this week. Two more months to a full year. Both went from paper thin to really fat. Both have grown a bit too.
If I make it to set up the new 40B up that will replace my 18" cube I'm going to try if I can pair them up.
I hoped the dominant one would grow a bit more in his larger 40B sump tank than the submissive in the 18" cube. But they seem to be still the same size.

My Sumatra pair passed the 100 day mark. The "female" was fat from the start and maintained her weight well. She also behaves very natural and is picking all day on the rocks. The "male" lost some weight in the beginning but is eating very well now, even pellets from the surface, and is now slowly gaining weight. He is much more out in the open water and often swimming along the front glass. One change I noticed since I moved them to the 100 gallon tank is that his gill thorns have colored up from yellow to blue.
Both are getting along, but there is some chasing and the female now avoids the male a bit instead of following him around all the time. It is still a long way for them to be a true pair - first the "male" has to fully mature and become a functional male.

My last and smallest Sumatra regal is also well fed and interestingly the most aggressive of them all. While all the others largely ignore their tankmates, this little guy is a bit of a bully. It already showed this in quarantine where he constantly chased the dottybacks. Now, in the 42 gallon tank he continues this with a large neon dottyback that was before a bully himself. The regal leaves the percula and the large marine betta alone, but the dottyback gets chased whenever he is spotted. The small marine betta sometimes also gets shushed away.
I feel this one may be a primary male.

Unread 04/30/2016, 03:02 AM   #4319
ryanrid
Registered Member

I find once they bond as a pair they become aggressive and won't allow a third, I have a harem now, 2 yellow belly from Sumatra and one Aussie grey belly

One has this cool mixed bar on both sides

I added all 3 at the same time.

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2016, 05:44 AM   #4320
twon8
Formally registered membe

Regal Angel Primer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not building a wall but making a brick

Current Tank Info: 300g DD display, 60g frag tank
twon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2016, 08:55 AM   #4321
Mr tap water
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

Here's an update on how my regal is getting on, as I was given advice to try oysters on this thread I while back and you can see for yourself just how much They really love them.

https://youtu.be/ktz7KjZ7QwI

Mr tap water is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2016, 09:02 AM   #4322
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr tap water View Post
Here's an update on how my regal is getting on, as I was given advice to try oysters on this thread I while back and you can see for yourself just how much They really love them.

You really got a colection of angels in there and a lot of yellow tangs.

Unread 05/01/2016, 10:14 AM   #4323
scuzy
Registered Member

Regal Angel Primer

Second formalin dip before 3rd ttm. Should be good to go. Since the store i got it from have a high chance of flukes.

Done formalin bath, 1st ttm, prazi pro in 2nd ttm, formalin bath , 3rd ttm, then 4th ttm with prazi and into quarantine tank for observation. This guy eats like a hungry baby.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 06:38 PM   #4324
Fin Mike
Registered Member

Quote:

How big is your tank? Loved the youtube video. I hope to establish a collection of angels like that. Awesome!

Current Tank Info: 120 reef
Fin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 08:21 PM   #4325
monkiboy
Registered Member

Quote:

thanks for sharing - that's a great video!

monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote