Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Killeriguana
Registered Member

What to put with 2.5" picasso trigger and tomato clowns? lfs closing tomorow 40%off

I have a 55 gal with 60 pounds of live rock, tunze 9010 skimmer (264 gal rating), and cascade canister filter (100 gal rating). It currently has the
2.5" Trigger, 2 small tomato clowns, and a small green spotted puffer. would like to add at least another fish to the tank but not sure with the aggresion problems. they have already killed a couple of damsels. What about adding like a dragon goby (Banded sleeper goby) or possibly a small yellow tang? or maybe like a dwarf angel? I currently have a little but of xenia in the tank and am planning on adding some button polyps or zoas. The tank is 6 months old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Killeriguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 09:06 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

As those fish grow, they'll be more than enough load for the tank. I wouldn't add anything, especially with the trigger in there.

Unread 02/18/2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Killeriguana
Registered Member

i thought it would be beneficial to add a sand sifter such as the dragon goby or some other type of goby at least but wasnt sure because of the aggression but i am new to the hobby so i guess its a good idea to take advice from more expirienced keepers

Unread 02/18/2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Killeriguana
Registered Member

btw if i wanted to add more coral, such as zoa's or button polyps, would the trigger or puffer mess with them? they seem to be doing fine with the xenia but am not sure about others. or maybe suggestions for other beginner corals that do not require as much light? I have 4 24" coralife 65 watt each power compacts
Thank you

Unread 02/18/2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

I would do a dwarf lion fish......

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 09:45 PM   #6
agreeive?fish
Registered Member

I wouldnt do the lion..its generaly not a good mix with lions and triggers and/or puffers

agreeive?fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Killeriguana
Registered Member

yea i heard the trigger would pick its spikes off and it would probably eat my clowns. they are cool fish though

Unread 02/19/2010, 01:08 AM   #8
Monster00101
Registered Member

ive been told u cant put puffers or lions with coral, Did i hear wrong? i would love to have a small puffer.

Monster00101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 02:28 AM   #9
Shane Hoffman
Registered Member

I had a Dwarf lion in my reef for 1 year and 2 months....I got rid of him when he hit 5 inches because I was worried he would soon be able to eat my chromis. He never bothered any coral.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon glass with 20 gallon sump, 175lbs of coraline covered live rock, EuroReef skimmer rated for 250gal, 25watt Aqua UV sterilizer, Fluval FX5, Hamilton 3x250watt MH, 160 watt Blue actinic....Mixed reef
Shane Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Jason S
Registered Member

Lionfish are completely reef safe. Sort of. They are not safe for smaller fish, shrimp, etc.... Basically anything they can fit in their mouths except snails and hermits, and believe me, they can fit much larger animals in their mouths than you think they could. At least I have never seen one attempt to eat snails and hermits, but I could be wrong if they will try. I have never heard of one nipping at corals or polyps. I have seen them knock them over, but never eat them. They also create a lot of waste, so you would need to keep a closer watch on your nutrients.

I have kept Porcupines puffers, Humu Triggers, Dogface puffers, etc with volitans, and have never had more than the occasional accidental fin nip during feeding. I can not speak to how they act with dwarfs though.

That being said, I would only add one of the smaller dwarf lions to a 55, and with your fish load, I would be hesitant. Remember, they create a lot of waste and have huge appetites. The trigger itself will likely outgrow the 55 pretty quickly if it is fed properly.

Jason S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, polyps, tomato clown, trigger, xenia