Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/13/2017, 08:33 AM   #1
biglurr54
Registered Member

Looking for Halide Reflector Help.

I am building a 36x36x24 tank.* It will be SPS dominated reef with a clam as the center piece in the sand bed.* I am looking at how I will light the tank.* I am sticking with a 14k Metal Halide with DIY 20RB/8UV LED supplements.* Could I get away with a 250w m80 ballast halide with the right reflector?* What reflector would work best for a 36 x 36 area while still penetrating 24 inches?*

If I can not get away with a 250w then I can do a 400w halide.* I would prefer the 250w as it will add less heat, less operating costs, and more bulb selection.**

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 09:02 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Hamilton Cozumel Sun is a really good wide-area reflector. Radium 20K on M80 is pretty high output and a good place to start - any other bulbs will be overdriven and color will shift. The reflector can handle 400W if you need to move up.

That reflector can really spread, but if you keep your clam away from the sides, you should have more than enough light.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 09:45 AM   #3
biglurr54
Registered Member

Is the Hamilton reflector better than the sunlight supply lumen lineups

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

biglurr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 10:10 AM   #4
Breadman03
New Old School

I have a Cayman Sun 400 watt pendant. If you've got a PAR meter, you'd be welcome to come and check the numbers over a Marineland 150DD. I'm currently running Radions, but it would only take 10 minutes to swap out to the halide.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 02:56 PM   #5
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
Is the Hamilton reflector better than the sunlight supply lumen lineups
Not really. The LumexMax Elite is their biggest spread reflector. The Cozumel Sun can spread more than this. You may, or may not, want that kind of spread, though. Spread comes at a cost of intensity, but you might not care if outsides are dimly lit - you will still have enough light for most anything out there, just not high light Acropora or Clams which might need to be more in the center.

Just match the reflector to the spread that you are wanting in the tank.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 03:18 PM   #6
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
Not really. The LumexMax Elite is their biggest spread reflector. The Cozumel Sun can spread more than this.
Thew full sized Lumenmax was for spread (what Sanjay ran prior to moving to LED). The Lumenmax Elite was much smaller and unless mounted very high (18" - 24") would not adequately light a 36" tank.

Might want to look into the full sized Coralvue Lumen Brite. I know melev ran these with great success on his old 300g. Not sure if he is still running halides on the 400g.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php
https://premiumaquatics.com/products...yABEgIyyfD_BwE

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...

Last edited by gcarroll; 11/13/2017 at 03:23 PM.
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote